Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

The trident is not necessarily a bad logo. It depends on how it's incorporated into a design, but even more importantly if it's used in a place that was a Greek (Poseidon) or Roman (Neptune) town it would be an ode to the place's history. Given that there's not much evidence of such a history on Vancouver Island, that's what makes it less of a good option for Pacific FC. Something sea related would be good, and I would have looked at incorporating orcas into a logo. My one time in Victoria included going out to see orcas, so that's what my unimaginative and somewhat literal mind would come up with.

Yeah, have to say when I think of Victoria nautical images don't exactly leap to mind.  Not at all.  Halifax?  Whole different story.  Maybe the peoples in the Victoria region view things differently.  Don't know.  But I'd stick to growing things.  Rain forests and flower gardens, that's the 1st thing I'd say I think of if you'd ask me what's the 1st thing I think of if you mentioned Victoria.  The city on Vancouver Island, not any person. 

That and Old People.  Lots of pensioners.  Hey, if the teams are putting mascots out there maybe they could get some coin together and buy a license to have Statler & Waldorf as the touchline entertainment.  That would be fun but I don't think Disney licenses come cheap.

Of course those are just the opinions that developed from my little urban island out on the edge of the Flatlands.  As you were.  

It's a commonly recognized symbol of the sea and it spells out Van Isle or Vancouver Island. Club name and location. Makes sense to me. Besides, the trident, as a symbol, has significance that extends around the globe. If either of the crests are embraced by the target audience they will be 'good'.

7 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Yeah, have to say when I think of Victoria nautical images don't exactly leap to mind.  Not at all.

Do you not realize what the club's name is?

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Yeah, have to say when I think of Victoria nautical images don't exactly leap to mind.  Not at all. 

The club have specifically NOT branded themselves as "Victoria".

The entire history of Van Isle is based on maritime enterprises. Fort Victoria was founded as a port for trading by the Hudson's Bay Company and is centered on the Inner Habour. The Provincial Legislature grounds are separated from that harbour by a road, and the magnificent Empress Hotel was literally built on land created on the reclaimed James Bay. Esquimalt was founded as the home of the Royal Navy Pacific Fleet and is today the home of the RCN Pacific Fleet. The railroad and the towns built up the spine of the Island like Cumberland and Nanaimo were built to dig and transport coal to serve the fleet and commercial shipping.

We cannot leave this island without sailing on, or flying over, the Salish Sea for crying out loud. ?

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just want to say that I don't agree the trident is a good logo, it is undynamic, and is a total cliché, a high school kid could have thought of that: the sea, oh, Greek mythology, cool, TRIDENT!!  Like wow. 

The main logo and its variants, when properly worked on, is effective. Again, this weekend, someone I knew  literally touched the logo on my black Pacific t-shirt in the middle of a conversation. 

The secondary crest is essentially the same concept as countless other's around the world. Lettering, or interlocking letters of the club name or region (Real Madrid, Olympique Marseille, Inter Milan, Galatasaray, Juventus, half of the Bundeliga ...) Does age somehow make a concept more compelling, or is it the fact that V.I. also forms a trident that bothers you?

The whole point for me is that being dead obvious, unless it is a terrible irony (like the Timbers, it is sort of dumb, but funny because it is right in your face), is no good. If  you go about detailing all the obvious references, then it is boring as hell. Most clubs end up with weird little idiosyncratic stuff that has charm because it came about naturally, over time, and the fans pushed it too. At Barça we are called "culés", which is a very odd reference (from outside the stadium seeing bums (culs) sitting on a wall watching a game back in the 20s): nobody could ever have dreamt that up in an office.

It is much better for fans to grow into a logo, colours, other references of a new team. The main Pacific is a totally abstract tree, is plays a bit with north-west coast native motifs, with those closed cells and rounded edges, without ripping them off or being expropriational.  You can play with it a lot. It gives you possibilities to do cool colour combinations because the blocks are big and solid. I just don't agree with how the letters of the club sit in there.

For a logo or crest and colour to grow the process should be a bit organic, in the sense of seeing what people buy, what they like, what is popular at a merchandise stand game day, what sells in kids sizes. It also makes sense to let a supporter section invent a chant related to something about the name or logo, and that sticks too. York9 can do a numerical chant, Cavalry can do their military charges. Hamilton can bash chunks of metal to death.

Pacific, well we just don't know yet. 

It has been confirmed to me from someone at the club that there will be a ticket exchange program set up for games not attended by season ticket holders. 

They will also have a Ticketmaster secondary resale platform. 

And they are setting up a donation option for games, while reminding me that if you donate a ticket to a service organisation you can get a tax deduction for that, which I'd forgotten.

I hope that all the clubs do similar.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It has been confirmed to me from someone at the club that there will be a ticket exchange program set up for games not attended by season ticket holders. 

They will also have a Ticketmaster secondary resale platform. 

And they are setting up a donation option for games, while reminding me that if you donate a ticket to a service organisation you can get a tax deduction for that, which I'd forgotten.

I hope that all the clubs do similar.

If what I’ve been told is true, all clubs are doing this and at least some of it will be handled through the Centre Circle app. 

51 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

If what I’ve been told is true, all clubs are doing this and at least some of it will be handled through the Centre Circle app. 

Valour have the ticket swap thing but as usual the Bombers have imposed an annoying restriction: you are only allowed to swap for one of the last 3 matches of the season. I have not heard anything about the secondary market resale option.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Valour have the ticket swap thing but as usual the Bombers have imposed an annoying restriction: you are only allowed to swap for one of the last 3 matches of the season. I have not heard anything about the secondary market resale option.

That’s odd. I was told by a Valour ticket rep that the ticket swap system was league wide. ?

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

That’s odd. I was told by a Valour ticket rep that the ticket swap system was league wide. ?

From the Valour website:

Can’t make it to a match? You can swap your tickets for extra tickets to one of the last three matches of each season. Tickets may be swapped on a 1:1 ratio for best available seating of equal or lesser value.

You have to scroll to the bottom:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/2019-season-tickets/#1539901311780-e487c33d-45bd

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

From the Valour website:

Can’t make it to a match? You can swap your tickets for extra tickets to one of the last three matches of each season. Tickets may be swapped on a 1:1 ratio for best available seating of equal or lesser value.

You have to scroll to the bottom:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/2019-season-tickets/#1539901311780-e487c33d-45bd

Ah gotcha. 

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The whole point for me is that being dead obvious, unless it is a terrible irony (like the Timbers, it is sort of dumb, but funny because it is right in your face), is no good. If  you go about detailing all the obvious references, then it is boring as hell. Most clubs end up with weird little idiosyncratic stuff that has charm because it came about naturally, over time, and the fans pushed it too. At Barça we are called "culés", which is a very odd reference (from outside the stadium seeing bums (culs) sitting on a wall watching a game back in the 20s): nobody could ever have dreamt that up in an office.

It is much better for fans to grow into a logo, colours, other references of a new team. The main Pacific is a totally abstract tree, is plays a bit with north-west coast native motifs, with those closed cells and rounded edges, without ripping them off or being expropriational.  You can play with it a lot. It gives you possibilities to do cool colour combinations because the blocks are big and solid. I just don't agree with how the letters of the club sit in there.

For a logo or crest and colour to grow the process should be a bit organic, in the sense of seeing what people buy, what they like, what is popular at a merchandise stand game day, what sells in kids sizes. It also makes sense to let a supporter section invent a chant related to something about the name or logo, and that sticks too. York9 can do a numerical chant, Cavalry can do their military charges. Hamilton can bash chunks of metal to death.

Pacific, well we just don't know yet. 

That's a bit much to ask from a first year club, don't you think?

I agree that neither logo is a finished product. I'd also agree that a tree is a better symbol for the area than a trident (but I'm not from the city). Still, I don't mind V.I. for Vancouver Island. Also, I can't be the only one that's surprised a Douglas fir was chosen to represent the island over a western red cedar? They've always been a cornerstone of NW coast culture. 

Edited by C2SKI

45 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

That's a bit much to ask from a first year club, don't you think?

I agree that neither logo is a finished product. I'd also agree that a tree is a better symbol for the area than a trident (but I'm not from the city). Still, I don't mind V.I. for Vancouver Island. Also, I can't be the only one that's surprised a Douglas fir was chosen to represent the island over a western red cedar? They've always been a cornerstone of NW coast culture. 

I grew up on the west coast and the Douglas fir is my go to conifer when I need to remind my English/Australian missus that she knows nothing of majestic trees. ?

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I grew up on the west coast and the Douglas fir is my go to conifer when I need to remind my English/Australian missus that she knows nothing of majestic trees. ?

Me too. It's first Douglas fir, then red cedar, then maybe a Sitka Spruce, and in drier areas an arbutus (really Pacific madrone), with its peeling bark. For plants, a fern comes first. In Victoria, they have those extraordinary and unique garry oaks, but they are being severely threatened and maybe you can't use that tree without talking about environmental destruction (also rampant to build housing developments in Langford where the stadium is).

When I am watching movies or tv shows I can tell if they are shot in Vancouver and environs, usually, by the plants and trees, before seeing anything else.

15 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

From what I was told by HFX sales reps, you could essentially sell unused tickets back to the club before the match and they would put the seat out to public sale at regular price. I'm sure there are some caveats associated with that. I would think that if they fail to sell the seat publically, I'd still be on the hook for the cost of my ticket(s).

No clue how they plan to roll it out and I don't have anything to reference beyond that conversation.

29 minutes ago, Ansem said:

But seriously...

We all know Ottawa Fury and the greatest general manager of all time... De Guzman would have totally passed on him

I would but that's because I don't like his haircut

seriously look at that haircut https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/sports/whitecaps-favourite-switches-to-the-island/

side note: 2 year deal 

Edited by matty