Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Brym is good, I always thought he needed to be a bit more selfish with the ball when he's with the national team and shoot more often instead of making that extra pass.

Like I had said previously, seeing him cutting through the middle with speed while keeping control of the ball was refreshing. 

I often thought he was too selfish and tried to dribble or hold onto the ball too long.

That second goal is the kind that coaches salivate over.  He has definitely won the admiration of his coaches and other managers after this performance. A game against Feyenoord isn't like any other. The big clubs get the most attention from fans and scouts alike and even though the scouts are mainly tuned in to watch Feyenoord they can't ignore quality performances from their opposition. Feyenoord's staff will remember the name Brym.

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Very happy for Brym! Hopefully we can see this form with the NT, because its been lacking thus far.

bit harsh when all he really has gotten are garbage minutes. But if he keeps scoring in the Netherlands first division he should get a shot at starting a game IMO, see what he can do during a longer stretch. 

At the end of the day, really happy for Brym, here is a guy who just seems to refuse to give up and is finally starting to see the fruits of his hard work. Starting to become pretty clear why Herdman keeps calling him to camps.

Edited by LeoH037

11 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

bit harsh when all he really has gotten are garbage minutes. But if he keeps scoring in the Netherlands first division he should get a shot at starting a game IMO, see what he can do during a longer stretch. 

At the end of the day, really happy for Brym, here is a guy who just seems to refuse to give up and is finally starting to see the fruits of his hard work. Starting to become pretty clear why Herdman keeps calling him to camps.

Thank you.

I was going to say it, but I'm tired of bringing up facts. He hasn't started a game for Canada outside of those friendlies against Barbados and Iceland (which he scored in), but the way guys act here you would swear he's got over 1000 minutes and has only produced 1 goal. 

He's only played 176 minutes of garbage time. 

I'm hoping he's just our modern day Piette around here.

Those who are saying, look, he scored in Netherlands top flight yesterday, that explains why Herdman called him up last year: wrong I'd say.

He was called up without deserving it, and never proved to be at the level required. Not only that: he dragged his butt around and trotted here and there in critical matches. All that is happening now is he has finally stepped up, and now perhaps he'd deserve a call-up. 

The guy Sparta sent back into second tier last year is not the same guy they have starting for them and scoring this year. All power to him. 

BTW, that stirring gesture, some say it means "cooking things up", could be from an NBA celebration.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Some say it was a James Harden thing. 

It would be far more interesting to delve into the history of the celebration than to hash through once more whether Brym is deserving of Canada or vice versa.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I thought the cooking thing came from Lil B - wonton soup 

Lil B famously cursed Harden for (allegedly) stealing the cooking dance

I don't know that any of the sports cooking celebrations truly originated from Lil B but the BasedGod has done a good job marketing himself, to the point where we are speculating that Brym's goal celebration actually originated from him. Lil B is one of the more interesting recent phenomenons imo, worth a read on the whole culture if one is unfamiliar.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I had a chance to watch the goals, both beauties. Probably the second best game by a Canadian in recent memory after Larin’s game against Barcelona last season.

The fact it was against Feyenoord, the defending champs, makes it very sweet. 

Say Brym goes on to bag 10 goals this season (20% of the way there already), I wonder if someone bigger in Holland snatches him up - like Feyenoord for instance :)

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The fact it was against Feyenoord, the defending champs, makes it very sweet. 

Say Brym goes on to bag 10 goals this season (20% of the way there already), I wonder if someone bigger in Holland snatches him up - like Feyenoord for instance :)

I'd be shocked if one of the big 3 would sign him if hes scored only 10 goals. He would be 26 with a small goal tally and not much resale value if you compare him to bringing in a future star whos 18 or going through the academy. Douvikas won the golden boot and is a year younger than brym and he didnt move on. 

37 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I'd be shocked if one of the big 3 would sign him if hes scored only 10 goals. He would be 26 with a small goal tally and not much resale value if you compare him to bringing in a future star whos 18 or going through the academy. Douvikas won the golden boot and is a year younger than brym and he didnt move on. 

Very good points. Sometimes though teams need back up strikers, right? Whether or not that's best for Brym is another matter. Even as a back up striker I think Ajax and maybe PSV are too big a jump, but you never know. Feyenoord seems realistic to me however. What say you?

AZ and Twente, arguably the next biggest clubs, I imagine would/could be interested in Brym if he hits double digits, although considering that Sparta finished 5th last year such a move may be lateral.

Probably too early for all this but it's fun to think about. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Very good points. Sometimes though teams need back up strikers, right? Whether or not that's best for Brym is another matter. Even as a back up striker I think Ajax and maybe PSV are too big a jump, but you never know. Feyenoord seems realistic to me however. What say you?

AZ and Twente, arguably the next biggest clubs, I imagine would/could be interested in Brym if he hits double digits, although considering that Sparta finished 5th last year such a move may be lateral.

Probably too early for all this but it's fun to think about. 

Its certainly fun to think about but I dont see any world where he becomes a backup striker. That role is usually filled by an older (de Jong)  or younger player (Brobbey). With limited budgets and a heavy emphasis on youth development, it makes more sense to give a youngster minutes.  Maybe a lateral move is on the cards but unless hes absolutely crushing it, its unlikely he moves up imo.  It just doesnt make sense with the big teams transfer policies.  

The Dutch league is hyper youth-focused.  Very few players over 25 on most rosters, other than keepers and the odd Dutch international on the back nine of their career. The bulk of most rosters are guys aged 19-22. To catch on with a big Dutch team at his age, Brym would need a massive year. 

Eredivisie teams would laugh in the face of a 2000 minute requirement for domestic U21s. 

23 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The Dutch league is hyper youth-focused.  Very few players over 25 on most rosters, other than keepers and the odd Dutch international on the back nine of their career. The bulk of most rosters are guys aged 19-22. To catch on with a big Dutch team at his age, Brym would need a massive year. 

Eredivisie teams would laugh in the face of a 2000 minute requirement for domestic U21s. 

Agree, if Brym were to move to a bigger league it would be outside of Eriedivise but It’s also been only 2 games so far.

Hey, Larin made his big move at 28. Brym scores 10 this year, 15 next, all of a sudden, what's the market for a 27 year old striker with a proven goal scoring record in a very good league? Don't think that necessarily puts him on any of the big 3 teams' radars, but some of these teams who prioritize youth players are going to want a veteran presence because they also need to win games. Maybe that's also a mid tier bundesliga team. Maybe he solves Montreal's striker problem once Quiotto leaves and Vilsaint is sold for a billion dollars.

If he plays out his prime at Sparta and leaves the club at 30 to go elsewhere, that's fine too. If he does end up putting those types of numbers up, he'd one of the best players on one of the best clubs of any of our pool, so much to the haters' chagrin, him being a good Sparta Rotterdam player probably puts him in the top tier of Canadian soccer players.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Hey, Larin made his big move at 28. Brym scores 10 this year, 15 next, all of a sudden, what's the market for a 27 year old striker with a proven goal scoring record in a very good league? Don't think that necessarily puts him on any of the big 3 teams' radars, but some of these teams who prioritize youth players are going to want a veteran presence because they also need to win games. Maybe that's also a mid tier bundesliga team. Maybe he solves Montreal's striker problem once Quiotto leaves and Vilsaint is sold for a billion dollars.

If he plays out his prime at Sparta and leaves the club at 30 to go elsewhere, that's fine too. If he does end up putting those types of numbers up, he'd one of the best players on one of the best clubs of any of our pool, so much to the haters' chagrin, him being a good Sparta Rotterdam player probably puts him in the top tier of Canadian soccer players.

Buddy, we all know where Brym ends up once Herdman is announced for TFC........

It's his only condition before signing, once that's cleared the pieces all fall into place.  Fraser is coming home too.  No one from CFM ever gets called up to CANMNT ever again.