Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

10 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Interesting take. You seem to defend choinieres poor performance vs japan. How do you feel about the critics of bryms "lack of effort/body language". Surely they both get judged by the same measuring stick. 

About Choiniere, i don't see how we can even compare, to me its pretty obvious. Choiniere has played 29 minutes vs 365 minutes for Brym.  Not exactly the same measuring stick.  Having watched both, even if they play different positions, it's no contest.  Different players, different positions, but they're not in the same league.  Choiniere's stats the past 3-4 years are great for a guy that has played 4 different positions in a very strong midfield. 

For whatever its worth, even Transfermarkt has Choiniere at 2.5m vs 600k for Brym.  It isn't the most accurate comparison, but it's just one more stat against Brym.

Edit: A bit fascinated by the repetitive mentions of Choiniere's poor performance vs Japan.  Went to see sofascore for a refresher, he had a 6.7, tied for 5th best on CANMNT for that day and Japan did not score while he was on.  No offence, but you sure you were watching the right guy?   The whole match was pretty awful, but Choiniere was far from being the poor performance.

10 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Also, I cant remember a time when brym earned call ups and didnt deserve it. For World cup qualifiers, I think he only was called up when we didnt have other options.... before ugbo committed or injuries? Am I missing any call ups? 

Like you the details are a little fuzzy now regarding the injuries and stuff.  If memory is correct - not looking up all the stats - I believe he was playing Dutch 2nd division in 21.  Barely got minutes in Belgium the year before.  I do recall being regularly surprised when he was getting called up and getting minutes here and there around the 20/21/22 seasons.  There definitely were options around that time, yet he was quite regularly on the team.  Competition for those call ups would have been: David, Larin, Akindele, Millar, Cavallini, Ricketts, Ugbo, (Corbeanu maybe?) off the top of my head.  Sure Akindele and Ricketts were getting near the end of their careers, but effort was never a question with them, perhaps the talent could be questioned, but we knew they'd put in an honest shift, which is more than we can say judging by the eye test with Brym's 12 caps. 

Millar is the most obvious comparison for me.  Similar age and level at the time.  Millar is a winger first and a striker 2nd, opposite of Brym, yet Herdman never played him at striker even if it was an option.  Brym has 12 caps during those 3 seasons to Millar's 9.  Not sure how to measure Swiss D1 vs Dutch D2.  Millar as a winger, had similar stats to Brym as a striker.  Even if he wasn't banging them in for CANMNT, Millar passed the eye test for me.  Every.  Single.  Time.   Gave a shit and has a pretty good looking CV compared to what we saw from Brym. 

As recently as 2023 we were complaining about Brym coming in to kill off games and he'd be jogging around with no sense of urgency.  Never seen anything like that from Millar, its always 100%. That's what I want and like to see, especially when someone is coming on to kill off a game. 

There is no other angle or coach that gives Brym 12 caps in 20/21/22 besides Herdman.  It was not justified on performances or merit.  That being said, I hope he tears up the Dutch league and earns a callup to CANMNT and bangs in a tonne of goals.  I'm rooting for him, he just isn't my 1st - 6th pick at striker.

Edited by costarg

12 hours ago, costarg said:

About Choiniere, i don't see how we can even compare, to me its pretty obvious. Choiniere has played 29 minutes vs 365 minutes for Brym.  Not exactly the same measuring stick.  Having watched both, even if they play different positions, it's no contest.  Different players, different positions, but they're not in the same league.  Choiniere's stats the past 3-4 years are great for a guy that has played 4 different positions in a very strong midfield. 

For whatever its worth, even Transfermarkt has Choiniere at 2.5m vs 600k for Brym.  It isn't the most accurate comparison, but it's just one more stat against Brym.

Edit: A bit fascinated by the repetitive mentions of Choiniere's poor performance vs Japan.  Went to see sofascore for a refresher, he had a 6.7, tied for 5th best on CANMNT for that day and Japan did not score while he was on.  No offence, but you sure you were watching the right guy?   The whole match was pretty awful, but Choiniere was far from being the poor performance.

I guess my point above is that bryms minutes are garbage minutes or gold cup minutes. Hardly enough time to truly gel with the team. You make the same case for cornelius needing time to gel with the team. 

Essentially what I hear is that: Choiniere needs time to gel. Brym has had time to gel and hes no good. Cornelius needs more time to gel. I just find it a bit inconsistent. 

12 hours ago, costarg said:

Like you the details are a little fuzzy now regarding the injuries and stuff.  If memory is correct - not looking up all the stats - I believe he was playing Dutch 2nd division in 21.  Barely got minutes in Belgium the year before.  I do recall being regularly surprised when he was getting called up and getting minutes here and there around the 20/21/22 seasons.  There definitely were options around that time, yet he was quite regularly on the team.  Competition for those call ups would have been: David, Larin, Akindele, Millar, Cavallini, Ricketts, Ugbo, (Corbeanu maybe?) off the top of my head.  Sure Akindele and Ricketts were getting near the end of their careers, but effort was never a question with them, perhaps the talent could be questioned, but we knew they'd put in an honest shift, which is more than we can say judging by the eye test with Brym's 12 caps. 

Millar is the most obvious comparison for me.  Similar age and level at the time.  Millar is a winger first and a striker 2nd, opposite of Brym, yet Herdman never played him at striker even if it was an option.  Brym has 12 caps during those 3 seasons to Millar's 9.  Not sure how to measure Swiss D1 vs Dutch D2.  Millar as a winger, had similar stats to Brym as a striker.  Even if he wasn't banging them in for CANMNT, Millar passed the eye test for me.  Every.  Single.  Time.   Gave a shit and has a pretty good looking CV compared to what we saw from Brym. 

As recently as 2023 we were complaining about Brym coming in to kill off games and he'd be jogging around with no sense of urgency.  Never seen anything like that from Millar, its always 100%. That's what I want and like to see, especially when someone is coming on to kill off a game. 

There is no other angle or coach that gives Brym 12 caps in 20/21/22 besides Herdman.  It was not justified on performances or merit.  That being said, I hope he tears up the Dutch league and earns a callup to CANMNT and bangs in a tonne of goals.  I'm rooting for him, he just isn't my 1st - 6th pick at striker.

Tbh, I dont think theres been a single window where brym was called over larin, david, cav or ugbo. Millar also was in most squads and is not a direct striker comparison but its not like brym was chosen over him. Essentially youre advocating for akindele and ricketts over brym, but they are arguably worse players and ready to retire.... surely they arent the answer. 

I like millar too and so did herdman.

I think your cap count is wrong. Millar has had more caps in every season.

Bryms caps 
2020: 3 caps in friendlies vs barbados, barbados and iceland. Based on didic, bassong, ricketts, akindele, etc being involved in these camps, bryms spot was 100% justifiable. 
2021: 3 world cup qualifiers where he got 2 mins, 5 mins and 10 minutes.
-Against mexico, millar was on the field and our only attacking options on the bench were brym and shaf. Not horrible to give him 5 minutes.
-against jamaica he came on for 2 minutes. Shaf came on too. millar started. no other attacking options were available. 
-against panama we were winning 4-1 and herdman gave run outs to brym, shaf, and piette. Again, no real other strikers on the bench 
2022: 1 appearance in a friendly vs qatar

If youre honest about his caps, they are only in B team squads with the exception of 3 games where he got the tiniest amount of minutes when he was 100% the best option on the bench and even then, he gets 2 minutes. 

Dont get me wrong, I have a hard time seeing brym scoring. Something about him feels like hes missing that striker instinct. However, if we remove all the bias, he has 100% deserved every single call up he received given the alternatives. He 100% deserved the minutes he received as well given the context of matches. I just dont get why people are so harsh on him, but demand patience for a guy like JRR, cornelius, choiniere, zator etc. 

On 2/12/2024 at 11:30 AM, Shway said:

Bair was the same. While I understand that goals are important to a forward, but there are other components to why a coach will continue to use a player that isn't scoring. I'll be honest, and say I haven't watched much of his games but from the one I saw he combines well with the midfield.

Sure, but Bair plays at a lower level (I guess), and besides, if you’re a striker in the Eredivisie you need some sort of end product, you can’t just get by on intangibles or link up play. Also, Bair is lucky to have a physical profile that encourages teams to gamble on him a bit harder in case he does pan out like he seems to be now- same deal with Promise David in Latvia who is apparently on all these big team radars.

I’m sure the coaches see something in him because he keeps getting starts even with Lauritsen, their main striker in the lineup, but I can’t imagine 2 league goals with none after the first game is a success for him by any stretch of the word. 

13 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I guess my point above is that bryms minutes are garbage minutes or gold cup minutes. Hardly enough time to truly gel with the team. You make the same case for cornelius needing time to gel with the team. 

Essentially what I hear is that: Choiniere needs time to gel. Brym has had time to gel and hes no good. Cornelius needs more time to gel. I just find it a bit inconsistent. 

Yes, pretty accurate.  Brym definitely had his chances.  Doesn't sound like many are impressed with the stats, play or energy.  I just feel we're better off waiting until he earns it with his play in Eredivisie before handing out more callups.  He is not top 5 at the moment.

Cornelius went over 2 years without caps, Choiniere 1 cap, so ya, some time is needed before coming to conclusions. 

13 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Tbh, I dont think theres been a single window where brym was called over larin, david, cav or ugbo. Millar also was in most squads and is not a direct striker comparison but its not like brym was chosen over him. Essentially youre advocating for akindele and ricketts over brym, but they are arguably worse players and ready to retire.... surely they arent the answer. 

I like millar too and so did herdman.

I think your cap count is wrong. Millar has had more caps in every season.

Bryms caps 
2020: 3 caps in friendlies vs barbados, barbados and iceland. Based on didic, bassong, ricketts, akindele, etc being involved in these camps, bryms spot was 100% justifiable. 
2021: 3 world cup qualifiers where he got 2 mins, 5 mins and 10 minutes.
-Against mexico, millar was on the field and our only attacking options on the bench were brym and shaf. Not horrible to give him 5 minutes.
-against jamaica he came on for 2 minutes. Shaf came on too. millar started. no other attacking options were available. 
-against panama we were winning 4-1 and herdman gave run outs to brym, shaf, and piette. Again, no real other strikers on the bench 
2022: 1 appearance in a friendly vs qatar

If youre honest about his caps, they are only in B team squads with the exception of 3 games where he got the tiniest amount of minutes when he was 100% the best option on the bench and even then, he gets 2 minutes. 

Dont get me wrong, I have a hard time seeing brym scoring. Something about him feels like hes missing that striker instinct. However, if we remove all the bias, he has 100% deserved every single call up he received given the alternatives. He 100% deserved the minutes he received as well given the context of matches. I just dont get why people are so harsh on him, but demand patience for a guy like JRR, cornelius, choiniere, zator etc. 

You're right.  I was off, It's actually pretty close.  

CAB: 337min
2020 - 3 caps - 203
2021 - 3 caps - 104
2022 - 1 caps - 30

Millar: 366min
2020 - 0 caps - 0
2021 - 6 caps- 275
2022 - 3 caps- 91

But ya, my point is even the call-ups surprised and confused me.  The call-ups and minutes could have gone to others.  Nothing personal, I just feel others did more to earn the minutes and call-ups.

Edited by costarg

11 hours ago, costarg said:

Yes, pretty accurate.  Brym definitely had his chances.  Doesn't sound like many are impressed with the stats, play or energy.  I just feel we're better off waiting until he earns it with his play in Eredivisie before handing out more callups.  He is not top 5 at the moment.

Cornelius went over 2 years without caps, Choiniere 1 cap, so ya, some time is needed before coming to conclusions. 

You're right.  I was off, It's actually pretty close.  

CAB: 337min
2020 - 3 caps - 203
2021 - 3 caps - 104
2022 - 1 caps - 30

Millar: 366min
2020 - 0 caps - 0
2021 - 6 caps- 275
2022 - 3 caps- 91

But ya, my point is even the call-ups surprised and confused me.  The call-ups and minutes could have gone to others.  Nothing personal, I just feel others did more to earn the minutes and call-ups.

Im not sure where you are getting your stats but the CSA website stats has brym with the below minutes.

2020- 3 caps - 204 (all friendlys)
2021 - 3 caps - 17 minutes 
2022- 1 cap - 31 minutes (friendlies) 

millar has about 30% more minutes despite not playing the 2020 friendlies. In non friendly matches, brym has about 6% of the amount of minutes millar has played. 

I guess my point is:
I don't particularly rate brym, but its not accurate to say he has been given any handouts or that hes considered anywhere near millar in terms of squad standing. 

If you think his 17 minutes in 2021 would have been better served with akindele or ricketts, then I see your point even if we disagree, but if we cant call up promising youngsters for meaningless friendlies, how will we ever assess them.... its not like there were many other options to call up in 2020 and 2022 friendlies

Edited by Bigandy

Brum first game on the bench in a while. Comes on 79'.

In the last minute, Excelsor goalie in deep trying to tie it. One of the Sparta players clears it into an empty area. Brym out runs everyone to score into the empty net. A look of relief on his face after the goal

Big win for Sparta, as they jump back into a Europa Conference League playoff position

10 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Brum first game on the bench in a while. Comes on 79'.

In the last minute, Excelsor goalie in deep trying to tie it. One of the Sparta players clears it into an empty area. Brym out runs everyone to score into the empty net. A look of relief on his face after the goal

Big win for Sparta, as they jump back into a Europa Conference League playoff position

Thanks for the heads up, I found it, great crazy sequence, even the announcer was going nuts.

https://x.com/FootColic/status/1758940014140879099?s=20

I think we put all arguments to rest after that goal, Brym is our third striker for Dallas.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just watching that clip, does Brym have a deceptive kind of speed that he's never had the chance to showcase with Canada.  He looked pretty damn fast there.  Is part of the problem for the Brym haters is that he is one of those guys who looks like he isn't working hard because he makes it look easy.  Don't know, just wonderin'

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks for the heads up, I found it, great crazy sequence, even the announcer was going nuts.

https://x.com/FootColic/status/1758940014140879099?s=20

I think we put all arguments to rest after that goal, Brym is our third striker for Dallas.

Morgan Rielly just cross-checked Brym in the head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

In the context of the ongoing fringe striker discussion, interesting to note that Brym is on the bench this morning and has been out of the starting lineup for the last 5 games.   

Ya, if his club isn't rating him, aren't we at the point now where we shouldn't spend too much time debating whether we should rate him as a must-have inclusion at the national level? (Excluding special cases like Eustaquio's onging feud with his manager)

I feel like we are finally (hopefully?) entering the realm of legitimate football nations where all inclusions will have to be a) signed to a pro contract  😃  b) performing well week-in week-out at club level and c) fully fit 

Would have had a one on one with the keeper after getting position on his defender and taking a long ball down well.  The defender had to basically manhandle him to the ground to prevent Brym from going in alone.   Too bad. Would have been an excellent chance for the game winner.  

EDIT- he actually didn’t take the ball down - more let it run.  But he would have been in alone regardless.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

41 minutes ago, nolando said:

I feel like we are finally (hopefully?) entering the realm of legitimate football nations where all inclusions will have to be a) signed to a pro contract  😃  

Geez, veiled shot at Unattached FC much?  Where does that blind hate come from man?  It's ok to be a little biased, but this is pushing it.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Geez, veiled shot at Unattached FC much?  Where does that blind hate come from man?  It's ok to be a little biased, but this is pushing it.

Yeah. Not sure why people hate on players from that club so much. a) You can bet they probably aren't injured and b) they're normally available. 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Would have had a one on one with the keeper after getting position on his defender and taking a long ball down well.  The defender had to basically manhandle him to the ground to prevent Brym from going in alone.   Too bad. Would have been an excellent chance for the game winner.  

EDIT- he actually didn’t take the ball down - more let it run.  But he would have been in alone regardless.  

His speed is so underrated. This was a great run. Defender ended up getting a red because of it

• 3 weeks later...

Brym gets another shot to start now. His play time had started diminish when Sparta started losing. Their starting striker Lauritsen had been playing pretty much the whole game. Brym came on at 25' in their last game for Lauritsen. A 4-1 win.

According to Fotmob, Brym has the start today. Lauritsen is listed as out until Mid May. Hopefully, we get a couple goals in the next couple games. He needs to make a statement if he hopes to stay in the Eredivisie.

51 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Brym gets another shot to start now. His play time had started diminish when Sparta started losing. Their starting striker Lauritsen had been playing pretty much the whole game. Brym came on at 25' in their last game for Lauritsen. A 4-1 win.

According to Fotmob, Brym has the start today. Lauritsen is listed as out until Mid May. Hopefully, we get a couple goals in the next couple games. He needs to make a statement if he hopes to stay in the Eredivisie.

I wonder if a strong finish would be enough to get him back into the National team for this summer?

Right now he's surely on the outside looking in, but with a handful of goal contributions things could really change in his favour. With the Netherlands friendly looming (and possibly France as well), what better time to get hot if you're Brym? Would be nice for him so hoping he can at least put himself in the conversation.