Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

17 minutes ago, Trois Reds said:

Something I've always noticed with these game ratings: if your team wins, you get high ratings. If they lose, so do you, normally, unless you score a hat trick in a loss or get a red in a win. Two wins, two losses for Sparta in the past four.

Tie games would probably give you the most honest assessment.

I noticed in our road win v Jamaica, Eustaquio was our lowest rated player before he scored. After that he was one of our highest 

I think things are going just as expected for Brym this season. Top half team (we knew Sparta would be good again) with Charles getting a couple goals (was never gonna rip the doors off coming up from div 2).

I think he trucks on this year, Sparta push for the European places, with our boy starting matches and chipping in with goal contributions. If he finishes with a combined 10 goals and assists, that would be a very nice season for him and one which should keep him in the mix for a NT call in the summer (hopefully in Copa America).

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think things are going just as expected for Brym this season. Top half team (we knew Sparta would be good again) with Charles getting a couple goals (was never gonna rip the doors off coming up from div 2).

I think he trucks on this year, Sparta push for the European places, with our boy starting matches and chipping in with goal contributions. If he finishes with a combined 10 goals and assists, that would be a very nice season for him and one which should keep him in the mix for a NT call in the summer (hopefully in Copa America).

It wouldn't be enough for the fans around here. 

13 hours ago, Shway said:

It wouldn't be enough for the fans around here. 

It wouldn't but it probably ought to be. A 25/26 year old forward playing Eredivisie and playing in Europa League or Conference league? That's pretty solid. How many other CONCACAF teams would love to have that kind of forward? Quite a few. More of this level of player would be even better for Canada. We could use more of them.

Edited by Obinna

My biggest issue with brym is his play style. On paper hes doing fantastic and should get call ups. However, hes not really a pure 9 and we cant afford to play with 2 strikers unless they are undroppable. When he comes off the bench, hes not really a poacher or aerially presence if we need a goal and hes not a hold up striker or a guy who excels at running in behind on the counter if we are winning. 

It's just a bit tough to see what situation we sub him on confident he will do the job we need. 

Brym is at 3G/1A in all comps on the year, and that includes his brace this summer. If he somehow ends up with double digit goal contributions by end of this season, he’ll have had an insane run of form down the stretch in a very strong league. Not only would he be in the NT picture but unless Larin shapes up, that might get him into some starting XI convos that some fans won’t want to have. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Brym is at 3G/1A in all comps on the year, and that includes his brace this summer. If he somehow ends up with double digit goal contributions by end of this season, he’ll have had an insane run of form down the stretch in a very strong league. Not only would he be in the NT picture but unless Larin shapes up, that might get him into some starting XI convos that some fans won’t want to have. 

They haven’t even played half the season yet, it’s entirely possible he hits double digit goal contributions, especially with an uptick in minutes recently.

59 minutes ago, Fullback said:

They haven’t even played half the season yet, it’s entirely possible he hits double digit goal contributions, especially with an uptick in minutes recently.

They’ve got around 20 or so games left. He could get there, but he’s going to need a heck of a run after Christmas, and I think if that’s the kind of form he gets himself into, he’s not only in the convo to make the team, but he’s in the convo to play serious minutes.

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

This forum would haaaate that. My issue is that he's alot like david in the sense that hes not your typical 9 but more of a 9.5. Say david is injured and brym is in better form than larin, its hard to play brym alone. 

Hypothetically, he could become our best striker (if he gets crazy form going) but the team may function better with an out of form larin as opposed to an in form brym.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Starting up front against Feyenoord. 

I know he has his critics and there were some questions about his early callups but he seems to get disproportionately ignored considering we have a player consistently starting in the Eredivisie.  

It's good he's getting minutes but I hope his lack of production doesn't eventually cost him playing time.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

It's good he's getting minutes but I hope his lack of production doesn't eventually cost him playing time.

I share this concern but at the same time he's playing for an upper half Eredivisie team at 25 years old, basically as he is entering his prime. That's a good scenario but I think what's happened is that our standards have also improved, now that we have players at teams like Bayern, Inter, and Porto, to name a few. If this were 10 years ago a player with his resume is a regular call up and one we are more excited about, despite the lack of production. 

Sometimes I do feel he gets a lack of love but it's not as if he's tearing things up for Canada either, so I see both sides of the coin here. What's true is that his production is now lacking for club and country. I think all he needs is goals for both to win back support from the fans. Would solve things.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know he has his critics and there were some questions about his early callups but he seems to get disproportionately ignored considering we have a player consistently starting in the Eredivisie.  

You make a good point.  I feel the critics were based on two things: 1- He was getting called up when his club performances weren't really calling for it.  2- His body language and effort when playing for CANMNT. 

I don't think anyone here wants to be critical of our players.  It's just that the limited minutes and call-ups need to be based on more than psychological tests and a good relationship with the coach.  Which I feel is what earned Brym most of his call-ups. 

There wasn't much to go on based on the field performances until a little while ago.   But even now, the competition is pretty fierce at striker, and even then, I still feel we should only be playing with one.  Regardless of how in form our best 2 are.

19 hours ago, costarg said:

You make a good point.  I feel the critics were based on two things: 1- He was getting called up when his club performances weren't really calling for it.  2- His body language and effort when playing for CANMNT. 

I don't think anyone here wants to be critical of our players.  It's just that the limited minutes and call-ups need to be based on more than psychological tests and a good relationship with the coach.  Which I feel is what earned Brym most of his call-ups. 

There wasn't much to go on based on the field performances until a little while ago.   But even now, the competition is pretty fierce at striker, and even then, I still feel we should only be playing with one.  Regardless of how in form our best 2 are.

Interesting take. You seem to defend choinieres poor performance vs japan. How do you feel about the critics of bryms "lack of effort/body language". Surely they both get judged by the same measuring stick. 

Also, I cant remember a time when brym earned call ups and didnt deserve it. For World cup qualifiers, I think he only was called up when we didnt have other options.... before ugbo committed or injuries? Am I missing any call ups? 

21 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

No goals since he scored a brace in his first game and one assist then. Far from brym’s biggest hater here, but I’m actually shocked he keeps getting the minutes he has been considering the severe lack of end product. 

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

No goals since he scored a brace in his first game and one assist then. Far from brym’s biggest hater here, but I’m actually shocked he keeps getting the minutes he has been considering the severe lack of end product. 

Bair was the same. While I understand that goals are important to a forward, but there are other components to why a coach will continue to use a player that isn't scoring. I'll be honest, and say I haven't watched much of his games but from the one I saw he combines well with the midfield.