Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The former Foothills contingent gets even larger. Nothing necessarily hugely wrong with that, but good luck selling those expensive seats at midfield. 

Aren’t they already sold out of premium seats? 

36 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The former Foothills contingent gets even larger. Nothing necessarily hugely wrong with that, but good luck selling those expensive seats at midfield

Projecting : Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings.

I am confident these players are good, and i am happy to see them signed. However, I can definately understand BBTB’s comments. I am hoping they plan on making a couple bigger signings in the coming weeks... Because Cavalry did put a huge price tag on premium seating and I am not sure these names will sell tickets. 

All that said, I am trying to hold off judgement until the season starts. There are a lot of factors to consider, and until we are about halfway through the season we really cant judge too much. Players aren’t the only thing that sell tickets, otherwise my West Ham would be bankrupt.

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I am confident these players are good, and i am happy to see them signed. However, I can definately understand BBTB’s comments. I am hoping they plan on making a couple bigger signings in the coming weeks... Because Cavalry did put a huge price tag on premium seating and I am not sure these names will sell tickets. 

All that said, I am trying to hold off judgement until the season starts. There are a lot of factors to consider, and until we are about halfway through the season we really cant judge too much. Players aren’t the only thing that sell tickets, otherwise my West Ham would be bankrupt.

Agreed. I believe it's now 9 of 11 players signed played in the PDL?

I know we need to be realistic in terms of quality of players being signed, but especially considering the ticket prices that CFC are putting forward, this is, thus far, a tad underwhelming.

If they are counting on a core to keep the team united, start well out of the gate, have cohesion and not have to learn from scratch, then it is a fair strategy. But the question of pure quality is also there, and PDL is basically an NCAA summer league. If you are at the top of that, then great, better, but you may get exposed up against a higher notch of player. And I dare say that most signings we are seeing as the median on other teams is above PDL level clearly. 

I am sure they'll find a way to pick up a few bigger names. But just thinking: when would the transfer window close for North American players, USL, even international players?

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If they are counting on a core to keep the team united, start well out of the gate, have cohesion and not have to learn from scratch, then it is a fair strategy. But the question of pure quality is also there, and PDL is basically an NCAA summer league. If you are at the top of that, then great, better, but you may get exposed up against a higher notch of player. And I dare say that most signings we are seeing as the median on other teams is above PDL level clearly. 

I am sure they'll find a way to pick up a few bigger names. But just thinking: when would the transfer window close for North American players, USL, even international players?

The Canada/U.S. primary transfer window opens in February and closes in May. https://www.fifatms.com/itms/worldwide-transfer-windows-calendar/

6 hours ago, Sébastien said:

Agreed. I believe it's now 9 of 11 players signed played in the PDL?

I know we need to be realistic in terms of quality of players being signed, but especially considering the ticket prices that CFC are putting forward, this is, thus far, a tad underwhelming.

I agree with you guys that a cohesive core is a good strategy, even if said core is PDL level.

No problem at all with questioning if the foothills contingent are good enough. It makes for interesting discussion and we'll see how it plays out, but I suspect the cohesion will more than mitigate any lack of relative talent. Besides, I don't think there's a great deal of difference anyways between PDL, League one Ontario, USL etc., especially when those PDL players and coach already have a working relationship.

As for high level players, I would think Ledgerwood fits that mold, at least on paper. A few years older than Bekker and Haber, but same concept, essentially.

Not that I disagree with the skepticism on the level of those players, but we'd be wise to remember how massive last season Foothills accomplishment was.

11-1-2, 30 goals for / 7 goals against.

I'd like to think that some of those players truly deserves to play at a higher level and belongs in CPL 

Now that being said, the window transfer opens in February. Too soon to panic perhaps????

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...But just thinking: when would the transfer window close for North American players, USL, even international players?

A lot depends on whether the remaining signings are viewed mainly as filler content or teams are still expecting to pick up starter quality players who have gone into training camps elsewhere, but ultimately didn't get a more lucrative contract than the ones CanPL has to offer. For example, maybe Toisant Ricketts doesn't wind up getting the 100k he is said to be looking for and eventually starts to see FCE as a viable option. A lot of the import slots might also be being kept open with American players in mind in this context. MLS and USL both start their seasons in early March, so that process could take another 5 or 6 weeks to fully unfold.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

^^^the U-21 rule that has since been revealed suggests a significant portion of the remaining players will be 21 and under and there may not be that many projected starters remaining to be signed at least where teams are already into low double figures on signings. Time will tell.

Found this an interesting read:

https://aftn.ca/preparations-continue-apace-at-spruce-meadows-as-cavalry-fc-count-down-to-cpl-kickoff/

...Feedback from fans at the Al Classico game encouraged the Cavalry FC ownership group to move ahead with plans to erect a covered grandstand on the east side of the pitch.

“Our original proposal to the league… did not have a grandstand on the east side of the Meadows on the Green,” said Allison. “But at our prospects game, we learned a lot about our fans’ preferences and behaviours, based on surveys and feedback we got.

“Ownership said, ‘let’s go for it ¬ let’s do a covered grandstand on the east side.’”

Now that the playing surface has been prepared, Allison said the next step is for the stands to arrive and be erected along three sides of the pitch. With a capacity of 4,500 backed seats, the east grandstand will house the majority of fans, while further seating on the south and north ends of the pitch will house another 1,500.

Allison said the stands are being built “modularly” off-site, and will be brought to Spruce Meadows in either March or April. He said the stadium configuration will be similar to the home of USL team Phoenix Rising...

Worth noting that they will also be having showjumping events on their soccer field, so the grandstand will no doubt also be used for that.

Terry Dunfield surely. Was at Man City, a team that used to fight for the league until Guardiola convinced them pass the ball around horizontally when losing at St James Park.

Seriously, haven't a clue. But have to say that the league unifying these hidden face hoodie shots is pretty good, I'm quite enjoying the teasers.

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

From England...

From the picture he appears to be black, but not much else to go off. My best guess would be Nigel Reo-Coker since he's out of contract and maybe would want to come back to Canada since he hasn't had much success since returning to Europe.

My more random, hopeful guess is Darren Bent, who's also been out of contract since the summer.

Obviously there's a very high chance it'll just be some guy we couldn't have predicted though.

Edited by Zem