Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

Another signing:

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/waterman-always-finds-a-way

Calgary, AB (February 6, 2019) – Cavalry FC is pleased to announce the signing of Midfielder Joel Waterman (CAN), the club’s second-round pick of 2018 CPL-U SPORTS Draft.

Joel Waterman is originally from Aldergrove, BC and started playing with Aldergrove Youth Soccer at the age of five. He moved to Langley, BC when he was 12 years old and took part in Provincial and National training programs while playing for a youth team in Langley. Waterman had the opportunity to play in the British Columbia Soccer Premier League (BCSPL) during his U16 – U18 seasons where he was part of two National Championship Teams...

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Another signing:

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/waterman-always-finds-a-way

Calgary, AB (February 6, 2019) – Cavalry FC is pleased to announce the signing of Midfielder Joel Waterman (CAN), the club’s second-round pick of 2018 CPL-U SPORTS Draft.

Joel Waterman is originally from Aldergrove, BC and started playing with Aldergrove Youth Soccer at the age of five. He moved to Langley, BC when he was 12 years old and took part in Provincial and National training programs while playing for a youth team in Langley. Waterman had the opportunity to play in the British Columbia Soccer Premier League (BCSPL) during his U16 – U18 seasons where he was part of two National Championship Teams...

I love that...he moved from Aldergrove to Langley. Aldergrove is in Langley.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:50 AM, rob.notenboom said:

Just FYI they’ve only been working on ticket sales to members for a week or two. They actually contacted all the members prior to holidays to explain they wouldn’t be at it until January. I received a phone call last week as I am member 553 and had a conversation with the ticket rep. They’ve been going through their membership list. Those that they make immediate contact with, they are working on sales to. Those they are not making immediate contact with they plan to follow up with later. Simply put, those are the 400 or so out of 1200 or so who answered the phone when they called. I wasn’t going to answer because I didn’t recognize the number and I suspect many are in the same boat. 

That conversion rate is really positive. 

I am one of those in the same boat. Member number #1025 - got a call last week but was driving and asked them to call back later. So I expect to have a call in the next week or so. 

4 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

I am one of those in the same boat. Member number #1025 - got a call last week but was driving and asked them to call back later. So I expect to have a call in the next week or so. 

It seems very simple to me ... all of this information is incomplete. So before offering a take, ask a question or two of those who might be able to answer and increase the available information for you to make that take. 

But some folks don’t seem aware of this monumental idea. 

(Not you of course, Ed ... I’m just generally frustrated with what to me seems like an entirely logical and incredibly simple idea, but one that is acted upon far too infrequently)

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Forgive this North Burnaby boy who never liked going south of the Fraser if I'm wrong, but I always had Aldergrove as the fringe of Surrey.

Are you thinking of Cloverdale? Aldergrove borders Abbotsford to the east and is in Langley Township...although not Langley City. That's probably why they said he moved...but even so, it's the tiniest of distances and in the story it makes it sound like it was some big thing. It just struck me as funny.

1 minute ago, LAK said:

Are you thinking of Cloverdale? Aldergrove borders Abbotsford to the east and is in Langley Township...although not Langley City. That's probably why they said he moved...but even so, it's the tiniest of distances and in the story it makes it sound like it was some big thing. It just struck me as funny.

Maybe so...

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Forgive this North Burnaby boy who never liked going south of the Fraser if I'm wrong, but I always had Aldergrove as the fringe of Surrey.

Great comment from someone who describes himself as being from North Burnaby lol you mean your from the fringe of Vancouver

People from Cloverdale and South Surrey wont admit they live in Surrey and they actually do. Aldergrove is more apart of Abbotsford so a fringe of Abbotsford would be more appropriate 

Just now, SpursFlu said:

Great comment from someone who describes himself as being from North Burnaby lol you mean your from the fringe of Vancouver

People from Cloverdale and South Surrey wont admit they live in Surrey and they actually do. Aldergrove is more apart of Abbotsford so a fringe of Abbotsford would be more appropriate 

North Burnaby was East Van Lite back in the day. ?

Dulwich Hamlet are a sixth tier club in England, which is usually semi-pro level although Dulwich are quite well supported with a bit of a hipster sort of following. A move to CanPL is probably viewed as a chance to step up to fully pro level again as would also have been the case earlier this year when he was with Leyton Orient for a few months in the English fifth tier:

Seems  to have been a youth player at West Ham, so the other recent English signing may have put a word in for him.
Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Dulwich Hamlet are a sixth tier club in England, which is usually semi-pro level although Dulwich are quite well supported with a bit of a hipster sort of following. A move to CanPL is probably viewed as a chance to step up to fully pro level again as would also have been the case earlier this year when he was with Leyton Orient for a few months in the English fifth tier:

Seems  to have been a youth player at West Ham, so the other recent English signing may have put a word in for him.

Only had a short spell with the Hamlet, but fans seemed to rate him.  He's a strong left back with a lot of pace, the clubs form in the league picked up recently, around the same time he signed for them, but that may be more due to them being allowed back to play at Champion Hill. 

15 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'm sorry, on paper this is an underwhelming signing. I expect better pedigree from the international spots. He's been at a lot of clubs in the last few years, and almost every time the move is down. I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Latest from reddit on season ticket sales:

If accurate, that probably means less than 1.5 rather than Halifax's over 2.5 season tickets per member. Halifax who appear to be shaping up to be the league's FC Cincinnati in per capita terms at the moment with 3500 being the latest number circulating, appear to have had the right idea on ticket pricing and stadium location by the looks of things.

Cavalry have still not made their way through the people they did not connect with the first time round. I know people in the 300 and 400s that have not gotten a repeat contact attempt. I’m in the 500s and have not received mine yet. 

But now since the ticket sales have opened up to the public, it won’t be possible anymore to determine the membership conversion rate unless Cavalry decide to release that info. The latest I had heard (right before they opened up season ticket sales) they were well over 2 tickets/member contacted.