Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

This quote speaks volumes:

https://www.westernwheel.com/article/looking-to-grow-beyond-the-horse-20181205

... “At its very heart is the horse, and it will always remain that way,” said Beunder. “But in order to keep the facility operating in the long-term and generate different sources of revenue to help pay the bills at that facility, other sports and activities are being introduced.” ...

On 12/7/2018 at 10:02 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Having a plan to do something in future isn't quite the same thing as actually committing to do it. 

There's currently no stadium, just a field with a nice building next to it.  They're building a grandstand with a roof, putting bleachers on the ends and setting up hosting areas.  What more do you want them to build for you to show their commitment to soccer? 

Also if MLSE's core business in hockey and they want to field and MLS team, I"m okay with that just like I"m okay with showjumping being the Cavalry owners' core business as well.

Edited by HaliCanuck

1 minute ago, HaliCanuck said:

There's currently no stadium, just a field with a nice building next to it.  They're building a grandstand with a roof, putting bleachers on the ends and setting up hosting areas.  What more do you want them to build for you to show their commitment to soccer? 

With the new plans they released, their commitment to soccer exceeds most people expectations

17 minutes ago, HaliCanuck said:

Also if MLSE's core business in hockey and they want to field and MLS team, I"m okay with that just like I"m okay with showjumping being the Cavalry owners' core business as well.

Bizarre stuff. I was responding on the previous page to something that was being described in detail by ESG Shawn as "long term plans".

1295806114_SpruceMeadows2.JPG.188a375365.

1090402061_SpruceMeadows3.JPG.781a06d932

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I doubt he had much input on that sort of thing. Judging by what was on Reddit recently, the Footsoldiers fangroup were not in the loop about ticket pricing and seating arrangements prior to the season ticket prices for members announcement:

If there are usually fewer than 20 from this supporters group on an average day, then one rich dude and his partner enjoying a hospitality package with a couple of business clients in the "Officer's club" before watching the game from the most expensive seats at the halfway line probably makes a larger contribution to the Cavalry's finances than all of the Footsoldiers combined, so there may be method in the Cavalry's apparent madness. If as an equestrian facility you have the infrastructure in place to go after the corporate crowd in a big way, it's easy to see how that would be viewed as a bigger potential moneyspinner than targeting the portion of the fanbase that will always tend to gravitate towards the cheapest possible tickets and menu and drink options on concessions. I'm skeptical on that really taking off in a big way in the absence of Giovinco and Drogba level DP signings but time will tell.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

...And how will you skew that to fit your narrative that this league will be a failure in Calgary?

I have no such narrative so have no idea what you are talking about. In reality I very much want pro soccer to succeed in Canada and have done no more than provide some mild constructive criticism on here when I think the powers that be are heading in the wrong direction. The ticket price structure that the Cavalry came up with has sent them on a different trajectory from many of the other teams, so it will be interesting to see how that works out for them. Think Halifax have probably done the best job so far over all in getting the off the field stuff right, but time will tell.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...very Calgary Foothills looking so far. A lot of people will argue that something extra is needed with the 14 or so signings still to come to justify the ticket prices, but I guess on the flip side that winning the PDL championship suggests they were more than a typical PDL team last season in preparation for what was to come.

That's one way to spin 3 USL level signings and one up and comer...

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...very Calgary Foothills looking so far. A lot of people will argue that something extra is needed with the 14 or so signings still to come to justify the ticket prices, but I guess on the flip side that winning the PDL championship suggests they were more than a typical PDL team last season in preparation for what was to come.

let the Winter Transfer Window pass before passing judgment...better?

Edited by Ansem

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

^^^Did he even read that post before firing off a kneejerk response? I pointed out that the PDL championship needs to be bourne in mind before people complain that there are too many Foothills players.

Nevermind

Edited by Ansem

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A lot of people will argue that something extra is needed with the 14 or so signings still to come to justify the ticket prices, but I guess on the flip side that winning the PDL championship suggests they were more than a typical PDL team last season in preparation for what was to come.

A lot of people will argue that you should shut the fuck up already.

7 minutes ago, shermanator said:

A lot of people will argue that you should shut the fuck up already.

I think BBTB's past negativity is blinding you from seeing when he makes a good point. He is essentially saying, why are people going to pay Cavalry prices to watch what is essentially (so far) a Foothills PDL level of play from last season.

You may disagree with that, but that doesn't mean that rational people aren't going to be asking that same question. I used to hear it quite a bit in Vancouver during the old A-League and USL days. Why should I go pay to watch the Whitecaps when I can see VMSL for free at the local park?

CPL teams need to add a bit more spice to differentiate the product. We haven't seen it yet.

5 minutes ago, masster said:

I think BBTB's past negativity is blinding you from seeing when he makes a good point. He is essentially saying, why are people going to pay Cavalry prices to watch what is essentially (so far) a Foothills PDL level of play from last season.

You may disagree with that, but that doesn't mean that rational people aren't going to be asking that same question. I used to hear it quite a bit in Vancouver during the old A-League and USL days. Why should I go pay to watch the Whitecaps when I can see VMSL for free at the local park?

CPL teams need to add a bit more spice to differentiate the product. We haven't seen it yet.

My point still holds though... too soon! BBTB would have a point when the rosters are mostly done and you'd be looking at PDL/USL level teams charging near MLS pricing. Even he knows that its too soon which aggravates some of us.

Most leagues are still playing now, the winter window is where we'll be in a better place to pass judgment on rosters. We always knew our limited domestic pools so these signings aren't surprising anyone. Wheeldon knows his guys best and if he thinks he can push them further by surrounding them with better talent, the more power to him.

For Cavalry to justify their prices, or any clubs really, will be determined by what kind of internationals they will be bringing in. I do agree about CPL charging Division 1 prices, but I'm holding judgment for when that window has passed.

Edited by Ansem

What kind of guys should Calgary sign??  If they lock up 4 guys from Calgary, have a history with the coach, are (relatively) young and decent pedigree (USL), why the sideways comment?  Carducci, Zator and Serban all probably could have stuck around somewhere in USL, but came to play in their home town.  And probably part of that was they knew a Calgary CPL team was coming (ie like Ledgerwood did).  Wasnt part of the selling point for CPL that each team was going to have local talent??  "It looks very  Calgary foothills so far"...if they didnt snap up the best local guys it would be a shame!!!!  Geeeshh!  These are exactly the guy that I hoped would benefit from the CPL, 22-24 years old and now have a chance to make a starting 11 and showcase what they can do...all in their hometown inspiring the next generation of Alberta kids.  Lots of boxes to check, but having a hometown face somewhere in the roster is accomplished by these signings.  

47 minutes ago, masster said:

The issue is the obvious spin. Almost all the signings have USL or NASL (or 2. Bundesliga!) experience

The foothills last season were not just a PDL team, it was a team that intentionally sought out pros who were willing to join them in the build up to launching the Cavalry, and walked all over the PDL in the interim.

BBTB knows this, he isn't ignorant on the circumstances. Why he chooses to intentionally misrepresent and undermine is beyond me, but it is very transparent 

43 minutes ago, masster said:

When a person spends years being a complete cunt of a bloke, and deliberately so, it's not surprising that, eventually, others just tune out any inadvertent good points he might come up with because they simply cannot see past the cunt making them. Some reputations are beyond redemption, and for many on this board, BBTB is a prime example of this.

42 minutes ago, masster said:

...CPL teams need to add a bit more spice to differentiate the product. We haven't seen it yet.

Ledgerwood and Camargo are more than you normally get at PDL level, but maybe from an optics standpoint they would have been better served with foundational signings that were fresh to the market? Will be interesting to see what they do with imports. Something like the Italian world cup squad player from 2006 scenario that was rumored for North York to provide somebody reasonably high profile at bargain basement wages would probably be a good move.