Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

36 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Dejan Savicevic. A star player in the late 80s and into the 90s with Yugoslavia, Red Star Belgrade and AC Milan. Think he's president of the Montenegrin FA nowadays.

I was mistaken then, I somehow thought it was a weird picture of Giggs. Got me there. 

What I don't understand is why a player like that would go be president of a semi-pro football structure like in Montenegro.

Just had a call from Cavalry sales for season tickets. Told them I couldn't afford them and there wasn't any "buts" which I thought was odd. I hope it's due to a low pressure approach rather than hearing it so often that they just gave up on the "buts".

13 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Hurts to admit you were wrong sometimes, so by all means run away if you are incapable of having a polite discussion about this. In reality, Scotland has well over 200 clubs that play in leagues where the clubs are allowed to sign players on professional forms with the SFA in the same way Rangers and Celtic do. Only around 20 of those clubs run with a full-time training regime during what would normally be regarded as the regular work day. The ones that don't get called "semi-pro" or more often in a Scottish context "part-time", but there is no such category when it comes to doing player registration. You either sign professional forms or amateur ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloa_Athletic_F.C.

Alloa Athletic Football Club is a Scottish association football semi-professional club based in the town of Alloa, Clackmannanshire. Founded as Clackmannan County in 1878, the club changed its name to Alloa a year later and to Alloa Athletic in 1883. The club won promotion via the Championship Playoffs and compete in the Scottish Championship in season 2018–19, as a member of the Scottish Professional Football League.[1]

Still such an arrogant douche eh? At least you're consistent.

21 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Hurts to admit you were wrong sometimes, so by all means run away if you are incapable of having a polite discussion about this. 

I nominate this as the most ironic, least self-aware statement ever posted on the Vs' board in the more than a decade I've been here.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was mistaken then, I somehow thought it was a weird picture of Giggs. Got me there. 

What I don't understand is why a player like that would go be president of a semi-pro football structure like in Montenegro.

Nowhere near hairy enough to be Ryan Giggs!

To be honest, I always thought it was a young Brian Clough in the picture.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Excited to see how BBTB spins this!

E7BC9CA1-79E6-48B9-B801-C114A10AA23A.jpeg

let me try and predict "well they had over 1000 members and as only 425 bought tickets it's safe to assume that cavalry will be a farm team for tfc" *ignores they've moved 1100 seats for the season and that tfc have tfc2 and ottawa fury now*

Edited by matty

...so the obvious question now is whether the other 600 or so are mainly people that balked at the prices or it's more a case that they will still buy at a similar rate of over 2 tickets per member once connected with.

{Edit: something to bear in mind on the first option on that is that people could be deciding to go for flex packs instead of a full season ticket}

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

8 hours ago, masster said:

I'll make a somewhat negative comment...

You have about 1000 members, and in the last couple of months you have only been able to connect with 425?

Just FYI they’ve only been working on ticket sales to members for a week or two. They actually contacted all the members prior to holidays to explain they wouldn’t be at it until January. I received a phone call last week as I am member 553 and had a conversation with the ticket rep. They’ve been going through their membership list. Those that they make immediate contact with, they are working on sales to. Those they are not making immediate contact with they plan to follow up with later. Simply put, those are the 400 or so out of 1200 or so who answered the phone when they called. I wasn’t going to answer because I didn’t recognize the number and I suspect many are in the same boat. 

That conversion rate is really positive. 

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Would be awesome having him back in Canada, but I doubt any CPL club can match what Kitchee is paying him

https://www.offside.hk/others/iceland-why-not-hong-kong-voices-from-hong-kong-football/amp/

20-30k according to this... if he’s a top player.  That would be CPL depth level.  I saw 60k mentioned as well for the cream of the crop. 

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

https://www.offside.hk/others/iceland-why-not-hong-kong-voices-from-hong-kong-football/amp/

20-30k according to this... if he’s a top player.  That would be CPL depth level.  I saw 60k mentioned as well for the cream of the crop. 

In Hong Kong, salaries are usually measured by month. $20k-$30k HKD/month would be $40k-$60k CAD.

Lam does however, plays for Kitchee, one of the richer clubs in Hong Kong, who have Krisztián Vadócz on the payroll, and previously, Forlan.  .... but then again, the HK inferiority complex means we are willing to pay foreign players a lot more.

I guess if a CPL club sees Matt Lam as a starter, he could be coaxed to come back.