Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

Guess there was always a danger that an equestrian facility would not understand what most soccer fans are likely to be willing to pay given interest will skew toward young adults and recent immigrants more than probably happens with a showjumping demographic. The less than ideal location coupled to higher than necessary ticket prices make this one to watch closely along with York 9 on actual as opposed to announced attendance.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

12 hours ago, Ansem said:

I can't get past the left side of the stadium not just putting seats closer to the pitch...

sprucemeadowssoccerfacilityresized.jpg?q

There seems to have been a substantial redesign to the seating arrangements compared to what was reported when the franchise was announced. Maybe the recent "Al Classico" friendly game, which I think was played in quite bad weather, highlighted the need for covered seating?

16 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Just gonna leave this right here.

So . . . the nerd is me is actually more upset by the fact that they don't understand the actual hierarchy of the terms they're using. They should go with something more like Battalion, Company and Platoon (in descending order), or Corps, Division and Brigade if they really want.

They should also rename the Officer's Club the Mess, both because it's the proper term for what they're trying to allude to . . . and as it will probably be a better descriptor of the state of the place after a good game. ;)

Proof will be in the pudding

If York reports they are selling well, I don't doubt that a larger market with more self identity will be able to do fine. Maybe not sell out but I think they will be fine

There are still a fair number of seats in the $13-30/game range which hopefully means the supporters won't get priced out (I assume "group seats" and safe standing is for them), but there is certainly a lack of middle ground seats

If I were a Calgarian, these prices would certainly change my perception of what kind of production values and on field quality constitutes fair value. These are on par with MLS prices

And the military language is forced and unconvincing: what are we, a bunch of school children? It is like an action toy concept for soccer fans. The same guys bragging about the Boar War are now putting out this crap, sad to see. 

I mean, if you were even half proud of the Canadian military legacy, in a serious way, you'd do the branding with proper terminology. Or you'd commemorate real batallations or regiments, or battles even. Not just be 100% hokey. 

21 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

So . . . the nerd is me is actually more upset by the fact that they don't understand the actual hierarchy of the terms they're using. They should go with something more like Battalion, Company and Platoon (in descending order), or Corps, Division and Brigade if they really want.

Should it not be Regiment, Squadron, Troop? Keeping it in cavalry/armoured parlance. If you're going to use such terms at all, that is. Their use of incorrect terms is bizarre. 

15 minutes ago, RickC said:

Should it not be Regiment, Squadron, Troop? Keeping it in cavalry/armoured parlance. If you're going to use such terms at all, that is. Their use of incorrect terms is bizarre. 

Touché. I always get tripped up on the cavalry terms and tend to default to the generic appellations when referring to Army units (I was Air Force myself, so it was a lot simpler for us). Good catch!

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I like how the photo caption calls Cavalry FC Calgary's first professional soccer team, and yet the first sentence of the article literally calls them Calgary's newest professional soccer franchise.

Edited by Obinna

Boy, I though Y9 did it poorly, but it seems to be going alright. Not so sure it will be the case here. I'm trying to figure out that seating map and what's going on with the left side. People are going to spend minimum $77.50 per game minimum in the officers club? How far away is that even from the field?

2 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Boy, I though Y9 did it poorly, but it seems to be going alright. Not so sure it will be the case here. I'm trying to figure out that seating map and what's going on with the left side. People are going to spend minimum $77.50 per game minimum in the officers club? How far away is that even from the field?

I get the feeling these owners might be leveraging their posh showjumping clientele for the more expensive seats. Look at the link below with regards to prices for this event:

https://www.sprucemeadows.com/tournaments/view_tournament.jsp?id=23

Edited by Macksam