Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If CanPL struggles out of the gate this summer there will be all kinds of meltdowns on here and elsewhere and the Fury have positioned themselves perfectly to be one of the main scapegoats. 

Yes, "OSEG have positioned themselves perfectly to be one of the main scapegoats."  And it's a perfect marketing ploy by OSEG.  

Prior to this, half their supporters were incensed they weren't joining CPL.  Now the Fury are presented as persecuted victims and their supporters are sympathetic to their plight. 

They have created a narrative of the Fury are being "strong armed and bullied" by the soccer world of CPL, CONCACAF, CSA and FIFA.  All sorts of wild accusations about the Canadian Premier League "trying to steal their players."  OSEG public relations has painted the Fury as victims, so Fury supporters need to circle the wagons around their club.  

Their shills will be out in full force "if CPL struggles out of the gate."  

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

There's also the bitter reality that he correctly predicted the outcome of this mess from the beginning.  

Sure, as in a broken clock being correct twice every day.  Correct result but kinda hard to find merit in the mechanics used for the achievement. 

But it's Year's End, a time for reflection and for predictions of what's to come.  I'll dust off the wee elf's crystal ball and see what I can see.

Let's see, yeah.  I see a light.  It's drawing closer.   It's becoming clear now.

I see, I see a league.  A stepping-stone league but a league all the same.  With an Ontario sugar daddy and a couple of deep-pocketed partners out west who together are providing a stable core of teams for this league.  I see that this is the critical mass that others are using to build around in ever expanding circles.  And all season long all the footie talk is about this wild and crazy infant league.  And there are confirmations of expansion into other locations and endless chatter and speculation about other expansions.  And these conversations are sucking up all the oxygen and that just keeps adding to, sustaining, the excitement and positive energy of the leagues launch as the season gets along.

Ah, but not all is light.  No, there is darkness to I can see. 

I see dark smoke trying to cloud the light.  Attendance drops after season openers!  Poor weather effecting gate attendance?  Too few matches on regular cable!  Vapours, dark vapours rapidly swirling about what really is the paid attendance at York9 home fixtures.  How long can this go on!?

But the light is strong.  It is too strong.  The clouds come, some thick, some thin but all are evaporated as they approach the light. 

There is other darkness.  A deepening pin-point of blackness in the distance and barely visible through the darkness I see a house, it's widows and door barricaded.  Inside its family is in conflict.  Men, women, children, with shrinking voices are falling out of the house into the wilderness and looking sadly toward the light.  

And in the sky, from high above the barricaded house giant letters are forming as the the pages of a calendar fall away.  June, July, August.  There's a giant "I" casting a shadow on the darkness.  And now it's an "i".  Dotted. And it's shadow is purest black.   September, October.  Now a "T" casts a shadow.  Now it's a "t".  Crossed.  It's shadow on the darkness below is purest black.  And below, in the growing darkness of the barricaded house the masters have gathered and are screaming at each other, unheard over the thunder of a tic-toc -tic-toc.  And they're unheard screams are directed at each other and a giant, worn, wallet monogrammed "Excuses" in the center of their circle, open, exposed, and empty.  Men, women, children, with shrinking voices fall from the house and join the growing crowd in the wilderness looking sadly towards the light. 

And there are other lights.  Numerous, small, but growing.  But one of these lights it  just grows and grows, intensifying at a frightening rate.  And it's light shines on everything.  All the other lights.  All the darkness'.  And as it's grows to take in all things an image appears within the halo.  And the image speaks.

"How's it going, eh?"

It's Alphonso Davies. 

And he's grinning like the cat that just got the canary. 

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I keep seeing people here trotting this line out about how OSEG have conducted themselves. What exactly is it they have allegedly done?

Regardless of not wanting to join the CPL at launch, immediately after they went public with that decision they began leaking information through FuryFanatic on Twitter questioning the quality of the league, the structure of player dispersment and staff budgets. They also cited numerous excuses that have since been proven either not true or at best half truths, i.e. claiming they would have to give up their roster which in the end was not exactly true and then cutting more than half the roster anyway.

Then it came out that Julian de Guzman was telling players not to sign with the CPL.

Then when it came out that they hadn’t actually received their sanctioning for 2019 JdG and AJ Jakubec went on the radio to talk about it but neither of them mentioned the reality of the situation which is that sanctioning was never guaranteed. Both of them acted as if this was a total shock but as an organization headed by a CSA board member they either where negligent in their ignorance or their laziness. AJ especially tried to paint this as the CPL forcing the Fury out of the USL but there’s absolutely no evidence that this was anything but Concacaf flexing its muscle.

I also don’t appreciate all the patting themselves on the back that Goudie at al. have done. I don’t buy a lot of it and it seems disingenuous.

I’m sure there’s more but that’s the gist of why I won’t be supporting the Fury until they move to the CPL, and that’s what I’ve told my ticket rep. If OSEG simply said they were taking a wait and see approach instead of trying to control the narrative I would have been much more likely to attend games next season but as it stands I’ll be supporting the CPL both emotionally and financially.

11 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Regardless of not wanting to join the CPL at launch, immediately after they went public with that decision they began leaking information through FuryFanatic on Twitter questioning the quality of the league, the structure of player dispersment and staff budgets. They also cited numerous excuses that have since been proven either not true or at best half truths, i.e. claiming they would have to give up their roster which in the end was not exactly true and then cutting more than half the roster anyway.

Then it came out that Julian de Guzman was telling players not to sign with the CPL.

Then when it came out that they hadn’t actually received their sanctioning for 2019 JdG and AJ Jakubec went on the radio to talk about it but neither of them mentioned the reality of the situation which is that sanctioning was never guaranteed. Both of them acted as if this was a total shock but as an organization headed by a CSA board member they either where negligent in their ignorance or their laziness. AJ especially tried to paint this as the CPL forcing the Fury out of the USL but there’s absolutely no evidence that this was anything but Concacaf flexing its muscle.

I also don’t appreciate all the patting themselves on the back that Goudie at al. have done. I don’t buy a lot of it and it seems disingenuous.

I’m sure there’s more but that’s the gist of why I won’t be supporting the Fury until they move to the CPL, and that’s what I’ve told my ticket rep. If OSEG simply said they were taking a wait and see approach instead of trying to control the narrative I would have been much more likely to attend games next season but as it stands I’ll be supporting the CPL both emotionally and financially.

That’s quite the conspiracy. Completely off base but I guess you are entitled to your opinion. 

Just a humble opinion of me as South American guy watching the bulls from the barriers. I can understand the economic interest of Ottawa Fury as a club to continue in the USL, avoiding the risk of being in a new league that is about to be released. Maybe the pressure of VM through Concacaf was not the best for Ottwa Fury to join the CPL. 

What surprise me most is the reaction of some of the Fury Fans in no supporting your own league, the league of your country, for God Sake Ottawa is the Capital city of Canada . How is possible to prefer playing against such as gray clubs as Richmond or Louisville or Bethlehem ? . 

It's as Caracas FC decided to play in the second Colombian league than in the Venezuelan. I just don't understand, where is the support for your country ?.

Each reality is different . I know that. Anyway, in my country Venezuela the professional soccer league without being the best in SA, has produced excellent players. 

I think you should give the CPL a chance Ottawa fans ! after all the one who does not risk, does not win! 

Just watching the bulls from de barriers.....

22 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Well that’s a different story. Are you talking about their original system or the more recent one?  Because the first one did produce kids that went on to play pro. 

I’m guessing @Ansem is not referring to the club run by JP before OSEG and is referencing the one that OSEG killed.

1 hour ago, Ottawafan74 said:

That’s quite the conspiracy. Completely off base but I guess you are entitled to your opinion. 

Lol.  There is nothing conspiratorial about it.  Everything he said is in the public domain.  Denying that, and chalking it up to some groundless conspiracy theory is silly.

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Well that’s a different story. Are you talking about their original system or the more recent one?  Because the first one did produce kids that went on to play pro. 

I had to look into this.  Between 2005-2013, the Fury's PDL team produced 2 professionals, Eddie Edward and Tyler Hemming.  Carl Harworth played their final year after playing PDL in London for a few years, so I'm not sure you can count him.

Notably, the other pro players to come out of Ottawa lately, Jamar Dixon and Johnathan David, had nothing to do with the Fury during their development years. 

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I had to look into this.  Between 2005-2013, the Fury's PDL team produced 2 professionals, Eddie Edward and Tyler Hemming.  Carl Harworth played their final year after playing PDL in London for a few years, so I'm not sure you can count him.

Notably, the other pro players to come out of Ottawa lately, Jamar Dixon and Johnathan David, had nothing to do with the Fury during their development years. 

I distinctly remember Haworth scoring a bucket full of goals in the PDL for the (pre-OSEG) Fury over a couple of seasons.  I thought that was around 2013-14 but it may have even been a year or two before that.

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lol.  There is nothing conspiratorial about it.  Everything he said is in the public domain.  Denying that, and chalking it up to some groundless conspiracy theory is silly.

It’s the interpretation of the info to fit one side of the story. Like claiming JDG told players not to sign with CPL teams. Fits the narrative that the Fury are to blame so use it. Then the story comes out that which is opposite, that CPL teams were telling Canadian players not to sign with Fury, but that’s just a rumour. There’s no proof. 

Then Aaron Jon and Goudie go on air and voice their concerns but they are just spinning and you can’t take them at their word. CONCACAF started this all by saying they won’t sanction them but then backed down and somehow the Fury are to blame for standing up for themselves?  

Anything CONCACAF did was interpreted to fit a certain belief. Anything the Fury do is disingenuous and can’t be taken at face value. Got it. 

38 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

It was only around for a short while because OSEG killed it.

What do you mean by “gain any traction?” Do you mean develop players?

OSEG killed it because they couldn’t get quality kids. I actually met with Dos Santos one night after a practice and the vision they had they knew was never going to come to fruition. Getting kids at 15/16, especially kids that were at best the 25th to 40th best kids in the city doesn’t give you much to work with. You can find a diamond in the rough but you aren’t turning them into a pro. 

The top kids at that point are going to be in OSU and WOS. Teams playing OYSL/OPDL with visions of scholarships ( hahaha ) dangling in front of them. Those kids are leaving an established team to go the Fury route. Even tho big picture that should be the preferred path for Canadian soccer. 

Now the first group of Fury kids, that did have some success. But again the local clubs were getting their act ( relatively ) in order and soon after stopped losing kids to the Fury. 

Fury Fanatic WAS using twitter to slag CPL, and it sure seemed like that info was being fed to him by staffers in realtime.  He was clearly privy to info that only someone on the inside would have.

The recent journo article, by an Ottawa based reporter, was extremely inaccurate and used Fury insiders as sources.

The Fury publicly claimed that they didn't want to be forced into releasing their Camadian players as a reason to avoid CPL, and then a month later they released most of them.

The Fury claim to be blindsided by the desanctioning move but the CSA was aware and their head dude is on the board.

Yes, some of the "he said she said" bullshit can be interpreted one way or another, but there are a ton of elements to this story that are in the public domain and none of those cast the Fury in a good light.  

5 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

It’s the interpretation of the info to fit one side of the story. Like claiming JDG told players not to sign with CPL teams. Fits the narrative that the Fury are to blame so use it. Then the story comes out that which is opposite, that CPL teams were telling Canadian players not to sign with Fury, but that’s just a rumour. There’s no proof. 

Then Aaron Jon and Goudie go on air and voice their concerns but they are just spinning and you can’t take them at their word. CONCACAF started this all by saying they won’t sanction them but then backed down and somehow the Fury are to blame for standing up for themselves?  

Anything CONCACAF did was interpreted to fit a certain belief. Anything the Fury do is disingenuous and can’t be taken at face value. Got it. 

You’re looking at things as only who’s right and who’s wrong, everyone is wrong in this but I answered your question and explained why I’m upset with the Fury.

Did JdG shit talk the CPL? No one knows for sure but I’m guessing he did. Did the CPL tell players and their agents that the Fury won’t be playing 2019? No one knows for sure but I’m guessing they did. There’s no proof of any of it.

I never questioned “the word” of anyone from OSEG, I just don’t agree with how they handle this. I’m sure everyone from the Fury truly believes they’re the victims, but I don’t.

I also have issues with CONCACAF but in the end the rules are written and the Fury knew or should have known them a long time ago. 

So where is the conspiracy?!