Ottawa CPL Club

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Where is the grandfather rule in FIFA statutes?  Just curious. 

It's probably more of a precedent than something that is explicitly stated. Under normal circumstances the existence of CanPL means no playing out and that will no doubt be rigidly enforced from now on where new teams are concerned for as long as CanPL exists.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

As it always would be. This is always done year to year. 

But this doesn't prevent the CSA or CONCACAF from informing the Fury now that this will not be renewed next year, that it is only a one year exemption and thus avoid the fiasco we just went through.  Or it could have been a direct condition of the 2019 exemption.  It gives the Fury one year to kiss and makeup.  I think the tone of future  Fury communication will be an important indication of what is happening. 

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's probably more of a precedent than something that is explicitly stated. Under normal circumstances the existence of CanPL means no playing out and that will no doubt be rigidly enforced from now on where new teams are concerned for as long as CanPL exists.

Precedents are important, like concacaf telling Ottawa they won’t be sanctioned.  That precedent is now on the record. 

So you think they’re going to be grandfathered?  They’ve been in USL TWO SEASONS.  So Canada can never have a CPL club in their capital city for the next 100 years because a USL team existed two years prior?  Get real.

So Ottawa can play in USL 2019 and realign their image to a positive one before joining CPL. 

Edited by Keegan

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Which rules and protocols didn’t they follow?

Where is the grandfather rule in FIFA statutes?  Just curious. 

This clearly means that CONCACAF won in my mind.  Ottawa will be in CPL in 2020 without the drama, which was probably to avoid this whole scenario next year.  The best Ottawa would get in CAS is 1 year so they got their settlement and now can say they moved to CPL by choice.  Win-win for all sides - it’s called a settlement.

VM is the one who made the decision not to sanction the Fury. According to the CONCACAF rules it’s suppoed to go thru a council and committee to review. This didn’t happen. As such the Fury would have won the case in front of the CAS. If concacaf has followed their procedures they would have probably had a good case but they had to capitulate. 

As far as I know the Fury have no deal with CONCACAF going forward in regards to sanctioning. That narrative is false. 

Just now, Ottawafan74 said:

VM is the one who made the decision not to sanction the Fury. According to the CONCACAF rules it’s suppoed to go thru a council and committee to review. This didn’t happen. As such the Fury would have won the case in front of the CAS. If concacaf has followed their procedures they would have probably had a good case but they had to capitulate. 

As far as I know the Fury have no deal with CONCACAF going forward in regards to sanctioning. That narrative is false. 

No one had submitted an application for sanctioning.  Concacaf pre-emptively warned that when they did apply they would be denied - the letter was signed by VM as president.  No decision had been formally made so there was no process to follow but nice try. 

We know they don’t have a deal moving forward because they’re going to be denied continually if they try to stay in USL.  After a year of CPL play there will be no question left.. that was probably one of the main speed bumps.

1 minute ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Just because you don't know about it, doesn't make it false.

We will have to monitor whether Fury sticks to one year contracts only this year.

Only thing we know for sure is the stakes will be very high in certain early round Voyageurs Cup match up this year.  

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If CONCACAF have now followed their normal procedures, we may have passed Peak Montagliani on this issue. Time will tell.

He attempted to bully the Fury here because he promised Young and Mitchell that he would force the Fury into the league. But he had to backdown and tuck tail because they were about to lose at the CAS. 

Wonder how much of a role FIFA played. My guess is they didn’t want a global precedent set here. 

He attempted to bully the Fury here because he promised Young and Mitchell that he would force the Fury into the league. But he had to backdown and tuck tail because they were about to lose at the CAS. 

Wonder how much of a role FIFA played. My guess is they didn’t want a global precedent set here. 

Here is a fun fact you don’t know: VM is the VP of FIFA.  

He didn’t attempt to bully the Fury, he did bully them.  And if he promised Mitchell and Young he would force them in the league - voila.  What has he done?  He’s essentially railroaded them into a situation where after 2019 they have ZERO excuses left.  I guess you’re assuming this is just the end of it and Fury will be sanctioned evermore. 

...Wonder how much of a role FIFA played. My guess is they didn’t want a global precedent set here. 

Think the precedent would have destabilized Canada's ongoing MLS participation at a time when MLSE and the Saputo group are heavily involved with likely World Cup venues for 2026. MLS and the USSF have a lot of clout at that sort of level, so a FIFA intervention isn't completely out of the question, if it really was all about the CONCACAF president acting unilaterally to bolster his big pet project from his CSA days. 

4 minutes ago, Rattler280 said:

Great news for the Fury. Looks like when push came to shove VM folded like a cheap suit. Entirely predictable.

You're delusional if you think they will force a sanction past 2019. If anything they just got cornered by VM who took away whatever arguments they had left to stay in USL. Next year, CONCACAF will say no and they will enforce it.

5 minutes ago, Rattler280 said:

Great news for the Fury. Looks like when push came to shove VM folded like a cheap suit. Entirely predictable.

Seems like a case of premature celebration.  2019 in USL will happen - that is no big surprise to anyone.  But I wouldn't read too much into it - I don't think the was has been won by any stretch. 

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Here is a fun fact you don’t know: VM is the VP of FIFA.  

He didn’t attempt to bully the Fury, he did bully them.  And if he promised Mitchell and Young he would force them in the league - voila.  What has he done?  He’s essentially railroaded them into a situation where after 2019 they have ZERO excuses left.  I guess you’re assuming this is just the end of it and Fury will be sanctioned evermore. 

So it is your contention that he bullied the Fury into then backtracking on his pronouncement that they couldn’t play USL?  

I have no idea what the future holds. I’m of the opinion that the Fury would be best served from playing in the CPL. One day. Attempting to strong arm them failed. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think the precedent would have destabilized Canada's ongoing MLS participation at a time when MLSE and the Saputo group are heavily involved with likely World Cup venues for 2026. MLS and the USSF have a lot of clout at that sort of level, so a FIFA intervention isn't completely out of the question, if it really was all about the CONCACAF president acting unilaterally to bolster his big pet project from his CSA days. 

You think that the USSF and MLS are going to jump in to save a Canadian USL club with ZERO American players and go against CONCACAF and FIFA?! ?? Yea that would be REALLY bright. 

This will not affect the MLS teams, thus they won’t want to wade into this.

You do realize VM is FIFA VP and the main reason the World Cup is coming?  Like honestly, try to keep up here.

USSF and MLS have more clout with FIFA than FIFA’s own VP... the things you read here sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

So it is your contention that he bullied the Fury into then backtracking on his pronouncement that they couldn’t play USL?  

I have no idea what the future holds. I’m of the opinion that the Fury would be best served from playing in the CPL. One day. Attempting to strong arm them failed. 

Yes, essentially a scare tactic.  That’s what bullying is. 

I don’t think it failed at all - forcing them in the league was never a good idea.  “Forcing” then into the league this way is a much better way for everyone to save face... sometimes you just need to flex the muscles a bit.

3 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I’m of the opinion that the Fury would be best served from playing in the CPL. One day. Attempting to strong arm them failed

So your expectation is for CPL to stay out of Ottawa until "one day" the Fury come around?

9 minutes ago, Keegan said:

You think that the USSF and MLS are going to jump in to save a Canadian USL club with ZERO American players and go against CONCACAF and FIFA?! ?? Yea that would be REALLY bright. 

This will not affect the MLS teams, thus they won’t want to wade into this.

You do realize VM is FIFA VP and the main reason the World Cup is coming?  Like honestly, try to keep up here.

USSF and MLS have more clout with FIFA than FIFA’s own VP... the things you read here sometimes.

The whole MLS angle is clearly a strawman argument meant to defend the status quo at all costs.  There is no MLS equivalent league in Canada and there won't be one for a long time (if ever).  People can hang their hat on semantic "D1" arguments all they want, but no oversight body is going to look at TFC's payroll and the Wanderer's payroll and pretend they are equivalent.  Anyone maintaining otherwise is pushing something.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

VM is a FIFA VP in ex officio terms. The only obvious exceptional circumstance for Canadian teams is that existing teams were grandfathered in. If the Fury can be forced into CanPL there is no obvious reason why the MLS teams should not also be in Canada's D1.

Okay and your point?  You think the USSF wants to pick a fight with him to save a club they probably want gone anyways? They have no reason to want Ottawa aside from being a feeder club to MTL and Toronto.

Yes there is a huge difference BBTB, it’s called money.  Giovinco and Bradley are on 7 million a year.  Not a big difference to you?