Ottawa CPL Club

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

No it doesn't. That's just the next step that happens every year for all Canadian clubs playing out.

Riiiight! Wink wink nudge nudge. And the CPL will continue to call itself Canada's league while ignoring the national capital, and Vic just went out of his way to paint OSEG into a corner just for kicks. I guess we'll both have to wait and see ...

27 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Simply procedural, Keegan, as they don't give the final approval. The more interesting question to ponder is why the CSA didn't try to block it back in September.

Odd descriptors to use, don’t you think?  The clear FIFA Mandate.  Referring to exceptional circumstances - go read article 73 BBTB and then re-read what concacaf just said.

Thats passive aggressive imo to refer to a FIFA mandate that they originally referenced as “clear”.  

And why would the CSA try to block it?  They don’t want to be the bad guy and have never forced anything.

Let’s see..

Edited by Keegan

34 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If Ottawa has the value they claim then why not sell the franchise and then set up in the CPL? The USL website says they expect expansion teams in coming years so there must be willing buyers. Or is it the team is worth nothing and the real value is not revenue from fans or media but thecapital they collect and the costs tbey avoid by being in the protective umbrella and pyramid scheme of the MLS USL. 

Keep lovong those who dont love you back 

An independent appraisal valued the Fury somewhere between $7-$8M. What’s a CPL squad worth? 

But to answer your question if you a buyer would you pay $7-$8M for an existing club and then a relocation fee to move the team?  Expansion in the USL is $7M. Would the USL even entertain the notion considering an expansion fee is the same amount?  The USL would lose out on a pile of money. Same as the Winnipeg Jets paid a relocation fee which is about a fifth of what Seattle just went for ( I get that they are years apart ). Expansion money means more to the league and its owners in this case. 

5 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

An independent appraisal valued the Fury somewhere between $7-$8M. What’s a CPL squad worth? 

But to answer your question if you a buyer would you pay $7-$8M for an existing club and then a relocation fee to move the team?  Expansion in the USL is $7M. Would the USL even entertain the notion considering an expansion fee is the same amount?  The USL would lose out on a pile of money. Same as the Winnipeg Jets paid a relocation fee which is about a fifth of what Seattle just went for ( I get that they are years apart ). Expansion money means more to the league and its owners in this case. 

So the Fury are worth 7-8 million and the expansion fee is 7 million. That means the value of the actual club is 0-1 million. 

For the 1,000th time USL franchisors do not get expansion money because they have 0 ownership in the league. It all goes to NuRock holdings, the USL's parent company. 

Edited by Alex D

2 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Maybe I'm simplifying this a bit (a lot!) but the easy solution would appear to be for OSEG to relocate the Ottawa Fury to some US market, re-brand it to the local market, then petition the CPL for a 2020 expansion team in Ottawa. Eventually, OSEG could sell its US-based USL franchise. Okay, I'll show myself out now ...

Then sell the team for 7 or 8 million 

No worries.. Fury just being made to run the gauntlet in their tighty whites while everyone wacks em with a sock filled with soap bars. they'll come out the other side a little bruised but run in to the protective embrace of the Squirrel Master. Its only soccer and outside forces cant really stop us now ;)

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Stay in the USL to determine if the CPL will actually survive.

That's fine and I don't disagree with the decision but please, meet me half way and admit that they completely mishandled this publicly. There was a right way to do this and they opted to open a can of drama upon FIFA.

The Ottawa Fury are not a charity; they are a business.

But they agreed to ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS to get sanction within FIFA. Now they are arguing that the rules no longer favor them and will hurt their business. Sure, but point to when and where FIFA put a knife on their throats forcing them to agree to those terms?

They went all in KNOWING this could happen. If they didn't know... some people had no business being employed there.

Why would they as a viable business that is valued at a certain level take a chance on a league that hasn’t even started?

I don't disagree but they AGREED to FIFA rules in exchange of sanctioning and all the good, bad and ugly that comes with it. I see all your arguments but Pro-Fury fans have a really hard time coming to terms with what it means to willingly sign and agree to a contract

From a business perspective that would be foolish.

Then they made a stupid business decision by starting the Fury and were in it for the wrong reasons

And this isn’t communist China; attempting to strong arm a business isn’t the best way to build a relationship. 

What the hell are you talking about. I'm sorry but welcome to capitalism.

"...before the club may participate in the USL for the 2019 season, the Ottawa Fury FC still is required to obtain authorization from FIFA under the clear mandate of FIFA Article 73."

So, this process is not yet over?

Why would Concacaf sanction the Fury after going public with their statement last week?  Why would everyone sanction the Fury, only for FIFA to bring down the hammer in the end?  

Perhaps Montagliani didn’t want to kill the Fury himself due to his connections to CPL, and thus passed the buck to the next level to keep his hands clean.

Perhaps the Concacaf Committee that deals with sanctioning voted against Montagliani and approved the Fury.

The latest press release from Concacaf reads just a little bit bitter and unprofessional.

So odd.

I am in CONCACAF's corner generally on this issue, but I agree that the latest press release is odd.  Will be interesting to see if FIFA approval is a rubber stamp or if further drama will ensue.  I still maintain that the Fury won't be in USL In 2020, but the news release doesn't seem to offer clarity in light of their previous statement. 

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Stay in the USL to determine if the CPL will actually survive. The Ottawa Fury are not a charity; they are a business. Why would they as a viable business that is valued at a certain level take a chance on a league that hasn’t even started?  From a business perspective that would be foolish. And this isn’t communist China; attempting to strong arm a business isn’t the best way to build a relationship. 

You really have little idea how smart business works. The best investment is to get in with multiple partners at ground level and be part of the maximum growth curve. Not arrive late out of fear and call it serious business practice, benefitting less and riding on others' coat tails.

There are owners of CPL teams with much deeper pockets than the Fury owners, with existing facilities, and others with less resources but making investments in new stadiums. For you they are all charities, in line with the insulting mouthiness coming out of Ottawa for months.

So it runs the gamut, CPL has a broad range of owners and none of the groups is less professional than Fury. And as is, half the CPL teams have more season tickets sold for an upcoming season starting a month and a half after USL. So they are way ahead there too. 

Sometimes you have to show a bit of character and move in the terms of calculated risk. Otherwise, no one would ever own a home unless you could pay cash. 

No idea where people are getting this idea that a 2020 CanPL entry is likely at this point. The two parties haven't spoken in 6 months apparently and bridges between them haven't just been burned but well and truly incinerated in recent weeks by the sounds of things. The obvious window of opportunity to try to force them in has passed now and the Fury didn't buckle under the pressure that was applied. CanPL will almost certainly have to find its eighth team elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

No idea where people are getting this idea that a 2020 CanPL entry is likely at this point. The two parties haven't spoken in 6 months apparently and bridges between them haven't just been burned but well and truly incinerated in recent weeks by the sounds of things. The obvious window of opportunity to try to force them in has passed now and the Fury didn't buckle under the pressure that was applied. CanPL will almost certainly have to find its eighth team elsewhere.

Wow you really don't get it...there are actually 2 options for the Fury in 2020...CPL or close up shop. CONCACAF, CSA and the CPL accomplished exactly what they set out to do once they found out that the Fury were not willing to join the CPL. The only thing the Fury got was two black eyes.

So, we have duelling incoherrent press releases, and I think I can confidently delare a pox on all their houses.  

I find CONCACAF’s press releases on this matter quite contradictory.  And Ottawa’s seems unnecessarily crowing given the allegedly conditional nature of their sanction.  

At any rate, at least I get to watch professional football in town.  

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The reason it is damaging is that having an ownership group go to these lengths to try to avoid being part of the league calls into serious question whether the league was a good idea in the first place.

Bear in mind that this was originally supposed to be a CFL oriented league in ownership terms and we now have one CFL ownership group going to the CAS in Geneva to try to stay in the USL Championship instead and another apparently still allowed to have a team at USL League One level after not being allowed in. Confused, you will be after this week's episode of Soap?

Is there any harm in implementing a downvote option?

21 minutes ago, Ansem said:

But there is word some damage has been done. Sources have indicated to The 11 that at least one player who had been in talks with the Fury has signed with another club.

After all this, my biggest hope is that all potential national team players stay well away from the Fury organization. This has been eye opening. Toxic.

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

Wow you really don't get it...there are actually 2 options for the Fury in 2020...CPL or close up shop. CONCACAF, CSA and the CPL accomplished exactly what they set out to do once they found out that the Fury were not willing to join the CPL. The only thing the Fury got was two black eyes.

Dude you don't know that. No one probably does (the Fury and CONCACAF or CSA are likely paying lawyers to see how to go about this for next year in case they actually do go to CAS). This likely wasn't some grand conspiracy organized by everyone to either force the Fury in for 2020 or kill the Fury (the later would possibly be extremely fucking harmful for both 2022 and 2026).

This whole thread for a week has been a mess with everyone acting like an expert on FIFA and CAS and talking shit. Can everyone just fucking stop acting like an expert and creating conspiracies.

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I fucking knew it. The Fury were never upset with not being able to spend as much as the other clubs. That was a laugh for anyone who ever believed that. It was all about having MLS teams pay their players’ salaries and losing that cherry pie with a move to the CPL.

33 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Is there any harm in implementing a downvote option?

I wish there was. I didn’t even see that post. I can’t believe that cuck is still going with how this was “originally supposed to be a CFL oriented league” even after I have mentioned numerous fucking times that PB told myself and Matty amongst a few others at Arizonas near Pearson International that at NO STAGE WAS THIS A FUCKING CFL OWNER DRIVEN PROJECT. BBTB, shut the fuck up. He has me blocked so can ten people quote me so he sees this and gets it through his beta brain. 

Edited by Macksam