General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

49 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

None of us, clearly, are so naive to think we'll win the WC.  Few of us think we'll even advance out of the group.

Very well said...but have you watched the recent Dynamic Duo interview (Tajon/Cyle)? They're apparently wildly naive, looney even.

Edited by PegCityCam

Since we're on the topic of expectations I'll attempt to categorize mine as succinctly as possible:

Embarrassment: No goals and no results while getting ran off the field in each match. This would only be mitigated by showing something against at least one opponent. Whether that's chances created or a close-ish match...basically not a complete collapse. Still an embarrassment.

Failure: No goals and no results. This would only be mitigated by looking like a worthy opponent for the better part of 2 of the matches (bare minimum 1). Still a failure, but not an unmitigated one.

Expected (I will be quite happy with this): A goal or a result (draw) while looking decent for the better part of all of our matches. As soon as we score our first goal I will be satisfied. Even if we don't score at all then a 0-0 result in any match will be bordering on success in my mind.

Success: 2 or more goals AND a result (draw). If we can achieve this in even just one match then I'd consider it a success, regardless of what happens in the others. Even 1 goal and a draw would be great but it would leave many wanting imo. Lots of goals and no results could also be considered a success depending on how it plays out.

Great success: 3 or more goals and a win. Just a win in general.

Wildly successful: 3 or more goals, a win and a draw. A win and a draw regardless...just wow.

Unimaginable: Getting out of the group.

The stuff of dreams: Advancing from the R16.

Impossible: I won't even go here.

See? I'm not insane. Or maybe I am for having to categorize all of this in my mind lol. In my opinion my expectations are quite conservative but with that being said, I still allow myself to believe our guys can do much more if all the stars align.

Edit: In the end, we made the World Cup. We've achieved everything and more than I even thought possible...at least before we showed out at the Gold Cup. I don't think I could truly be embarrassed by anything that happens, though I'm sure that will be the narrative by some if we don't perform in some way, shape or form. Also, sorry for all the edits. There are just so many scenarios and I keep overthinking everything I've written.

Edited by PegCityCam

21 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Since we're on the topic of expectations I'll attempt to categorize mine as succinctly as possible:

Embarrassment: No goals and no results while getting ran off the field in each match. This would only be mitigated by showing something against at least one opponent. Whether that's chances created or a close-ish match...basically not a complete collapse. Still an embarrassment.

Failure: No goals and no results. This would only be mitigated by looking like a worthy opponent for the better part of 2 of the matches (bare minimum 1). Still a failure, but not an unmitigated one.

Expected (I will be quite happy with this): A goal or a result (draw) while looking decent for the better part of all of our matches. As soon as we score our first goal I will be satisfied. Even if we don't score at all then a 0-0 result in any match will be bordering on success in my mind.

Success: 2 or more goals AND a result (draw). If we can achieve this in even just one match then I'd consider it a success, regardless of what happens in the others. Even 1 goal and a draw would be great but it would leave many wanting imo. Lots of goals and no results could also be considered a success depending on how it plays out.

Great success: 3 or more goals and a win. Just a win in general.

Wildly successful: 3 or more goals, a win and a draw. A win and a draw regardless...just wow.

Unimaginable: Getting out of the group.

The stuff of dreams: Advancing from the R16.

Impossible: I won't even go here.

See? I'm not insane. Or maybe I am for having to categorize all of this in my mind lol. In my opinion my expectations are quite conservative but with that being said, I still allow myself to believe our guys can do much more if all the stars align.

Edit: In the end, we made the World Cup. We've achieved everything and more than I even thought possible...at least before we showed out at the Gold Cup. I don't think I could truly be embarrassed by anything that happens, though I'm sure that will be the narrative by some if we don't perform in some way, shape or form.

This is a good summary.  

For me it is crazy that some people are expecting us to get out of the group (not hoping for it, not wishing for it, but expecting it).  It just seems tone deaf to the context of who our opponents are and how aggressively they will be preparing for this tourney. 

Our starting XI and subs will each need to have a near perfect performance for us to get a result vs Belgium or Croatia and Borjan will need to stand on his head like he did vs Mexico & USA at home. Davies, David, Tajon & Staq can compete at this level. Got to think Atiba, Hoilett, Vitoria and Borjan will be super pumped for these games knowing it's their first and probably last WC. The key for me is our back 3/4/5. Will they be able to step up their play? I am very concerned about our ability to defend crosses into the box, whether from the wings or from set pieces. Other than Vitoria we just don't seem to be able to get to the ball and clear it to safety. We will get chances to score and when we do we need to be clinical.  IF we can do that we may have a chance to get a result. 

9 hours ago, costarg said:

Ohhh, i believe it.  I lived there for 3 years and they were my 2nd favorite team until I had moved there, I got turned off quickly once I understood the level of toxicity and how widespread it was.  Hard to support those guys, even though i loved their style and system.

Same story with me. Loved them as a side, then lived there a year and they were put in the bucket with England of teams I despise 

3 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Very well said...but have you watched the recent Dynamic Duo interview (Tajon/Cyle)? They're apparently wildly naive, looney even.

I have kept my expectations reasonable (a success for me is a draw and a goal), but what would you expect or want a player on the team to say? "I'd be thrilled if we could steal a point!"?

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Some people might call this loony. But its the only attitude that can get us out of the group.  

Being at the world cup is a boon for the spot, but getting out of the group will be a revolutionary for soccer here. The extra attention and money will be there. 

These guys know whats at stake. So its logical that they have this attitude. I honestly love it. 

47 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I have kept my expectations reasonable (a success for me is a draw and a goal), but what would you expect or want a player on the team to say? "I'd be thrilled if we could steal a point!"?

We have basically the exact same definition of "success" then👍 My response was more tongue in cheek than anything but if you want to be literal then my point literally stands as there are some people out there "so naive enough to think we'll win the WC". Some pretty important people to be exact. And to your point, he very well could have said something to the effect of, "I think we have reasonable goals such as scoring a goal and getting a result...and we can build from that" but he didn't.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Our starting XI and subs will each need to have a near perfect performance for us to get a result vs Belgium or Croatia and Borjan will need to stand on his head like he did vs Mexico & USA at home. Davies, David, Tajon & Staq can compete at this level. Got to think Atiba, Hoilett, Vitoria and Borjan will be super pumped for these games knowing it's their first and probably last WC. The key for me is our back 3/4/5. Will they be able to step up their play? I am very concerned about our ability to defend crosses into the box, whether from the wings or from set pieces. Other than Vitoria we just don't seem to be able to get to the ball and clear it to safety. We will get chances to score and when we do we need to be clinical.  IF we can do that we may have a chance to get a result. 

Bingo. Most of our guys have never faced this level of skill/talent. Every mistake will get punished and picked on over and over. As much as i love Kone and our backline, they just don’t have the experience at this level. 

1 hour ago, Vasi said:

Some people might call this loony. But its the only attitude that can get us out of the group.  

Being at the world cup is a boon for the spot, but getting out of the group will be a revolutionary for soccer here. The extra attention and money will be there. 

These guys know whats at stake. So its logical that they have this attitude. I honestly love it. 

I love it too. I hope I haven't given off the impression that I think it's naive or that something incredible can't happen...because deep down I think it can, and I most assuredly hope it can. However, I also have a deep need to be pragmatic in my approach to this...whether it's for self preservation, to protect myself from the possibility of complete and utter heartbreak, or just because I'm very analytic by nature and have been waiting and thinking about this moment for decades...and therefore I find it necessary to categorize levels of success and failure. 

Edited by PegCityCam

28 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

I love it too. I hope I haven't given off the impression that I think it's naive or that something incredible can't happen...because deep down I think it can, and I most assuredly hope it can. However, I also have a deep need to be pragmatic in my approach to this...whether it's for self preservation, to protect myself from the possibility of complete and utter heartbreak, or just because I'm very analytic by nature and have been waiting and thinking about this moment for decades...and therefore I find it necessary to categorize levels of success and failure. 

Thanks for detailed categorize.

I am now fully prepared accordingly with Dexamethasone - Advil - Sparkling Water - Draft Beer - Crown Royal - Moet Champagne - Gold Label - Hennessy XO - something I have never dreamed of drinking 

Edited by lamptern

3 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Exactly this.  Admittedly I have just attended the PEI spirits festival and drank way too much (you have no idea how many times I have already corrected typos in this post…) but I feel like I need to bring out the philosophy degree and clarify some epistemological terms.  I hope the boys do well.  And I believe that it can happen. But I am just being realistic and acknowledging the strength of our opposition and the likely outcome that we don’t get out of the group.  No matter how strongly you support the CMNT, it doesn’t change the fact that us getting out of the group stage is highly improbable.   Acknowledging that doesn’t make me less of a fan.  It just recognizes the distinctions between what you hope might happen and what you believe might happen.   Because those are two different things - and recognizing that distinction doesn’t make you less of a fan.  

The attitude that got us into the World Cup was tough defense, team compactness, few goals against, eking out draws on bad days. Then critical goals in key moments.

Few if any dumb goals against.

We are not in Qatar because of cockiness, or letting our minds wander to the clouds.

If you think that you haven't been watching. IMO the only way out of the group is to play with that same toughness at the back and pressure up high, not sitting back entirely, because it'll give the strikers a chance to amend results.