CPL General

21 hours ago, matty said:

yea but tim hortons is also hated as fuck right now in ontario (and likely other places) by young liberal leaning folks (aka the folks that typically like soccer)

i'm not saying it's bad to partner with tims (there already tim hortons field) but if people are as pissed as i was hearing this weekend it might be a rough start

for your reading pleasure https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjppaw/canadians-are-mad-as-hell-at-tim-hortons

This shouldn’t be too much of an issue as more and more young people are becoming “woke” based and libertarian. 

25 minutes ago, Macksam said:

This shouldn’t be too much of an issue as more and more young people are becoming “woke” based and libertarian. 

This is true but soccer is doing better with the more liberal end (can't really say for libertarian cause it's never included in polls on sports and I don't feel right including them with conservatives because there are differences. also regarding young peeps are liberatarianism it's always weird cause some are like "i believe free markets" and some are like "anarchocommism is true freedom" and "i'm on the left end of libertarianism" and "each to their own". lol i used to work with a guy who was like "we need to do away with the education and health systems" but would then say something like "everyone should have to serve in the military" and "the government is always right and you should trust your government".)

Just remembered another kid who wanted to replace courts with a system where the community decides all disputes and do away with all laws but traffic laws. LOL

I'm not being critical of libertarians (there are very valid points expressed via libertarinism) but I feel there's a lack of understanding amongst the younger folks who claim it's their view.

Edited by matty

29 minutes ago, Oranje said:

You can't really go around Calgary with the ring road on the south west (Spruce Meadow) and west side no actual completion date. If you're a resident of the SE or SW (south of Glenmore Reservoir) it wouldn't be a problem getting to SM. The remaining NW/NE/.5SW is looking at a hassle to get there.

Just using myself as an example, I live central and it'd be 30-45 min drive on a Saturday to get there. This also means I cannot partake in inebriating concession (thus spending less at the park) and will be spending as much time on the road as I will at the game. Magnify that even more if I took transit so I can drink or a $50 cab ride each way. With around 50% of Calgary's population are North of me, they aren't doing themselves any favors. It does, however, set itself up for a North and a South team in the future ;) 

Land is much cheaper way down there so I understand, I just think the cost analysis is off if it's a massive hassle for the majority of the Calgarians to get there as well as the complete elimination of 'walk up' sales because you literally cannot walk to Spruce Meadows

This is my take as well. I live in the SW, and it's still a massive pain in the ass to get to Spruce Meadows. A 30 min drive would be on the conversative end of the estimate.

Shuttle busses from pubs to the game and back, or from train stations to the game and back could help mitigate these concerns a little. But a vast majority of the city will simply stay away if that is indeed where the club will play.

Edited by shermanator

20 hours ago, Ansem said:

Are PLSQ and L1O aware they might get absorbed eventually?

I don't think gaining access to pro/rel means they will be "absorbed". They could simply be linked at some point through the system but still be operated and governed independently. 

16 hours ago, matty said:

I hope to Satan they do not do pro/rel. Honestly I think it's just PB's desire (and a dream situation for some involved with the league)  but not a serious goal for the league.

To me it seems to be a huge marketing win whether he means it or not and panders to whatever side you are on.

For pro/rel: he has said it is a good idea and given clear criteria to meet before it happens.

Against pro/rel: he set a bar that is so far in the future and unlikely to be attained in his tenure that it means virtually nothing and maybe that's what he wanted?

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Interesting that they're going without playoffs.  I wonder if they'll re-evaluate after a few years - it's good for publicity.

Could easily be replaced with a league cup which caters to purists while giving the average viewer a knock-out format to follow.

12 minutes ago, ted said:

Could easily be replaced with a league cup which caters to purists while giving the average viewer a knock-out format to follow.

Please no. I'd have no interest in that. Every time there's another cup or competition it just makes each one less important. Gotta have playoffs.  Give first place a bye as a reward .

2 hours ago, matty said:

This is true but soccer is doing better with the more liberal end (can't really say for libertarian cause it's never included in polls on sports and I don't feel right including them with conservatives because there are differences. also regarding young peeps are liberatarianism it's always weird cause some are like "i believe free markets" and some are like "anarchocommism is true freedom" and "i'm on the left end of libertarianism" and "each to their own". lol i used to work with a guy who was like "we need to do away with the education and health systems" but would then say something like "everyone should have to serve in the military" and "the government is always right and you should trust your government".)

Just remembered another kid who wanted to replace courts with a system where the community decides all disputes and do away with all laws but traffic laws. LOL

I'm not being critical of libertarians (there are very valid points expressed via libertarinism) but I feel there's a lack of understanding amongst the younger folks who claim it's their view.

I think we should do away with political parties and have countless referendums. There’s a reason Switzerland is consistently rated the best country in the world to live in and Canada always comes in at a distant second.

I find that’s the best way to keep the government small and in line.

Edited by Macksam

I'm guessing they'll go full table for championship and a league cup tourney as well.  Most everything they've said so far seems to be modelled off the traditional model for the sport.  Now that might change before launch to the more traditional North American model but we'll have to wait

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I'm guessing they'll go full table for championship and a league cup tourney as well.  Most everything they've said so far seems to be modelled off the traditional model for the sport.  Now that might change before launch to the more traditional North American model but we'll have to wait

That could be fun once we get Pro/Rel while inviting D3

If we were awarded a Concacaf League spot, this could go to the League cup winner

8 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Additional details have yet to be confirmed, but Clanachan expects a six-month season sans playoffs

Does this mean that there are no playoffs, and the season will be 6 months long? Or, the season will be 6 months long not including playoffs? It doesn't really say there will be no playoffs. Parse, examine and analyze, it's what we do. I didn't check the original source so am just going from Gopherbashi's post.

6 minutes ago, RickC said:

Does this mean that there are no playoffs, and the season will be 6 months long? Or, the season will be 6 months long not including playoffs? It doesn't really say there will be no playoffs. Parse, examine and analyze, it's what we do. I didn't check the original source so am just going from Gopherbashi's post.

The Toronto Sun article said six month season, no playoffs, winner of table to CCL. But that's just what Clanachan envisions...they aren't going to make those decisions until the owners are all in place.

37 minutes ago, RickC said:

I had the same thought at first, but I'm taking it as a six month season, with no playoffs.

14 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The game launches in September each year so it’s possible it will be in FIFA 20. 

Eh, they've stated that they haven't acquired the rights for the Chinese Super League yet because adding leagues is a large project and they need to see stability for the investment to be worth it. The FIFA devs being in Canada helps, but I don't think it happens before FIFA 22.

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Eh, they've stated that they haven't acquired the rights for the Chinese Super League yet because adding leagues is a large project and they need to see stability for the investment to be worth it. The FIFA devs being in Canada helps, but I don't think it happens before FIFA 22.

Well, people can rest assure that I will keep updating the CanPL mod for Football Manager. I was even contacted by the chief scout for CONCACAF to get in touch with the Canadian scout - so when the league starts, we can all contribute to ensuring the accuracy of the Canadian pyramid.

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

I had the same thought at first, but I'm taking it as a six month season, with no playoffs.

The problem is single table really doesn't work well without pro/rel. I do think no matter what there will be play-offs

15 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Sure it works; you just eliminate the rel part of it.  First place takes the championship.  Doesn't have to be complicated.

And what about teams outside of the main championship race? You lack the excitement of survival and or a play off race. In a single table format that also lacks playoff a lot of excitement for fans. Unexcited fans = less eyes watching

Edited by matty

2 minutes ago, matty said:

And what about teams outside of the main championship race? You lack the excitement of survival and or a play off race. In a single table format that also lacks playoff a lot of excitement for fans.

Anyone outside the relegation zone won't have the excitement of a playoff race anyway.

I'm not saying that single table is the way to go, but it's in no way dependent on relegation.  You're not going to have relegation for many, many years (if ever) and yet they seem to be going with single table so clearly there's a way to do it.

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

Anyone outside the relegation zone won't have the excitement of a playoff race anyway.

It depends how they do it? If it's like 10 teams and top 6 are in a play-off and bottom 2 drop that's some excitement

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm not saying that single table is the way to go, but it's in no way dependent on relegation.  You're not going to have relegation for many, many years (if ever) and yet they seem to be going with single table so clearly there's a way to do it.

I politely disagree because I do think it is but to agree on the pro/rel point at the end. I wouldn't say it's plan cause comments have been like "we'd like X" and "X is cool but we'll see". The biggest thing in favour is the small number of teams. Either way I don't see them scarping play offs

9 hours ago, Kent said:

The non-maritime sentence isn't saying anything about the maritime provinces. It's saying all but one of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and Newfoundland (unless he was like me and didn't realize Newfoundland is not a maritime province. I learned something today!) have prospective teams.

This was my understanding of it.

I've never been a fan of playoffs for a top league. Then again I wasn't really exposed to it until I moved to North America. 

I can understand it to add some extra commercial revenue and excitement but I think it cheapens the league and achievement of finishing first. 

Again comes back to what I grew up with and my perspective because of that. Winning the league is the ultimate end goal and glory for me. That makes you the best team in the league in a fully fair and balanced way. Giving other teams a second chance to possibly get lucky can add excitement but doesn't seem fair. I'd expect most people who grew up with the playoff system to naturally look at it differently though.   

For me no playoffs please but by all means take those top four teams and have a top four cup after the season for some bragging rights and a trophy or do it in pre-season moving venues across Canada yearly. 

Could eventually do a top four cpl vs mls/usl tournament too.

If any CCL spots are only awarded via regular season performance, then the regular season can still be meaningful with playoffs as well. Especially if the playoffs are NFL style single knockout with the higher seed hosting, that would give regular season even more importance.

I agree with Matt that without pro/rel there wouldn’t be much to play for outside of the top couple teams. It won’t be like in England or Spain where the top 4 has a reward of Champions League play, and the next team or two has Europa League. In an 8 or 10 team league that has no relegation any team that has no chance of winning it all will not have much motivation to care. At best in the near future the league will have 1 CCL spot up for grabs, which of course would be a redundant (for lack of a better word) reward for the champs, so it wouldn’t draw any additional teams in to the mix.