CPL General

I don't know if this has been talked about on this site or not, but I just learned while browsing r/MLS that the USL trademarked USL Championship, USL League 1, USL League 2 and USL Youth League in 2017.

Sounds like the CPL may get to see a North American pro/rel model in action in the near future.

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

You all get that nice email from the league? 

I did and I too was overjoyed to hear we will be the first to hear of all breaking news about the cpl....  mere days after it was already made public. 

Sarcasm aside. The more the send out and inform and comfort fans the better. 

41 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I don't know if this has been talked about on this site or not, but I just learned while browsing r/MLS that the USL trademarked USL Championship, USL League 1, USL League 2 and USL Youth League in 2017.

Sounds like the CPL may get to see a North American pro/rel model in action in the near future.

IIRC it's been in the talks for a while, since there's a clear divide growing between the teams that want to start paying at NASL/MLS 1.0-like salaries and others (even historic ones the like Rhinos) that struggles paying 200k wages. Last I read there was a bit of a holdup since some wanted the MLS2 teams automatically put in USL D3 but MLS isn't happy about it 

Mostly rumours of course, so big ol grain of salt 

Edited by Complete Homer

5 hours ago, 1996 said:

Why do you have a problem with people who see the CSA as a highly inept organization or are surprized that people see the CSA as an inept organization? With all due respect to the women's game, unfortunately it's what they have done with the men's program where the vast majority of soccer fans judge the CSA, and for too many years now not much has been accomplished on the men's side, so I don't know why you would think it's funny that they are so many people that see the CSA as this inept organization, I'm actually surprised that there are people who defend this organization very surprised.

Simple. You can’t see the organisation as inept AND see them as masterminds at pulling off conspiracies at the same time.  They simply don’t go together. 

7 hours ago, Gordon said:

I just read the McMahon article and I think it is characterized unfairly. I found it to be a very neutral combination of reporting and opinion and have no reason to quibble with anything said. I don’t believe it to be unduly pessimistic, and the challenges he notes as lying ahead are just that. Nowhere do I see him saying they are insurmountable , only that they are there. Even his reference back to CSL is a “they need to not be like that” rather than an assertion it will fail because of “this”. I don’t feel it is unfair or negative at all.

Fair enough. In retrospect I think I probably used his previous articles and Twitter comments to inform my reading of his tone, but I'm also not sure it's unfair to him to do so

And really, having the "no new teams have been announced therefore no real progress" point is problematic no matter how you slice it when the league has straight up said they will be announcing that within the month. Either he didn't read the press release carefully or he chose to not include that information 

Edited by Complete Homer

2 hours ago, Metroimpact said:

Would be good if there was consistency in the use of CanPL vs CPL. For example website is CanPL.ca yet Twitter name is CPL and handle @CPLsoccer 

I think it’s CPL. That’s what it was referred to in their article about Clanachan (haven’t reviewed previous articles). I think the website URL is just because Credit Protection Limited already has CPL.ca. Just like MLS has to settle for mlssoccer.com and previously I think they were mlsnet.com or something like that, because mls.com was already taken.

Does anyone remember that www.clownpenis.fart SNL sketch?

1 minute ago, Kent said:

My biggest issue with the league is the moose antlers on our placeholder logo:)

Other issues
#3: Name is kind of tacky
#4: Team names will be tacky
#5: Marketing will be tacky
#6: Badges will be tacky
#7: Lack of Flubber

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Listened to Soccer Today. Only real highlights were Rollins's was told there were going to launch with  8 for sure and possibly 10 and that they could of announced more yesterday but they're going to spread them out until May when we should know most everything.

Is May 60-90 days from now?

8 hours ago, An Observer said:

Simple. You can’t see the organisation as inept AND see them as masterminds at pulling off conspiracies at the same time.  They simply don’t go together. 

Delaying an announcement we had been told to expect by Scott Mitchell and Peter Schaad's tweets just before Christmas until not long after New Year doesn't take a mastermind, and the CSA being behind it provides an explanation for why Peter Schaad found the reason for the latest delay infuriating and was amazed that the story involved (i.e. Zambrano about to be ousted, because he was not viewed positively by CSA insiders) hadn't leaked yet. There is silence for months when there really doesn't need to be because CanPL have known would be entrants they could be firing off press releases about and then suddenly CanPL and the CSA have breaking stories almost simultaneously (when the normal protocol would be to space them out so as not to steal the limelight) and it's all just a coincidence? Sure whatever you say.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Delaying an announcement we had been told to expect by Scott Mitchell and Peter Schaad's tweets just before Christmas until not long after New Year doesn't take a mastermind, and the CSA being behind it provides an explanation for why Peter Schaad found the reason for the latest delay infuriating and was amazed that the story involved (i.e. Zambrano about to be ousted, because he was not viewed positively by CSA insiders) hadn't leaked yet. There is silence for months when there really doesn't need to be because CanPL have known would be entrants they could be firing off press releases about and then suddenly CanPL and the CSA have breaking stories almost simultaneously (when the normal protocol would be to space them out so as not to steal the limelight) and it's all just a coincidence? Sure whatever you say.

Scott didn't tell us to expect shit. He made a tweet about doing a ton of work on both the CPL and Ti-Cats over a certain week

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

But as you admitted yesterday, you have no proof.  Yet here you are passing it off as near truth as always.  Good to see some things never change lol