CPL General

Bobby McMahon's take on things on the Forbes website:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/01/11/new-canadian-premier-league-names-its-first-commissioner-and-sets-kick-off-for-april-2019/#adf58e8330bd

Sounds about right to me as someone who also remembers the similar rationale behind the original CSL soon falling flat and questions the 15 month timeline for reaching 8 to 10 teams at launch, especially if they still plan to do it right and avoid playing on permanently marked fieldturf with both soccer and CFL lines. We'll soon know if they are serious about 2019 rather than 2020 because they will need to start hiring people soon in each of the launch cities, if they are going to be able to make a good first impression.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

McMahon has spilled a lot of ink on his opinion that CPL will never launch, and this article just strikes me as someone trying to justify their previous skepticism. The fact that he took to twitter to call Bob Young and Paul Beirne "delusional" shows his desire to grind an axe and probably his lack of access to real sources within the league. 

Claiming that no real progress has been made since no new teams were announced while excluding the quote that new teams will be announced in a month is pretty transparent.

Claiming that governance structures, etc need to be worked out and present a major obstacle when we've been told that is what they've been working on for the last year is also questionable. 

Using previous unconfirmed rumours of the salary cap to claim the league has been "scaled down" despite the fact that a 40-60k salary actually hits the 1-1.5M across 25 men is also disingenuous. 

Then he goes and backs up his claims with experience with a league in a different era with different backing, which is a familiar tactic that seems to have been debunked pretty well. 

I think anyone whose paid attention to the story should notice this: CPL was very cautious about their media presence and their use of actual hard dates. When they suddenly have interviews across most major media outlets in Canada loudly proclaiming a Spring 2019 launch, that is clearly the result of a careful evaluation of their position with information only they are privy to. Anyone outside the league making claims that it is "highly ambitious" is not doing so in an evidence based manner

Edited by Complete Homer

Yeah I've never been much on the McMahon's stuff that I've read.  Just seems like pessimistic V board speculation but on a recognized platform.  He very well might be right but it usually seems like it's just his opinion backed with dubious evidence. 

Honestly the way he keeps tweeting about this so much the last couple of days it seems like he's doing it for the clicks/web traffic.  He knows there an engaged fan base that want info and he can drive traffic there.  Nothing wrong with that.  Happens on baseball Twitter all the time.  Guys writing random articles about the Jays because they know it gets a lot of clicks.

Totera was on TSN yesterday.  Mostly raging over Herdman but some CPL talk.  Mostly positive, not a lot that isn't out there but he did bring up the European clubs being interested thing again.  Listened live so can't remember all but thought I'd throw it out here

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/totera-the-cpl-will-change-canadian-soccer-1.965765

Also did not know that Jim Tatti was still around.  That's all

Edited by Rheo

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

I've never been a fan of playoffs for a top league. Then again I wasn't really exposed to it until I moved to North America. 

I can understand it to add some extra commercial revenue and excitement but I think it cheapens the league and achievement of finishing first. 

Again comes back to what I grew up with and my perspective because of that. Winning the league is the ultimate end goal and glory for me. That makes you the best team in the league in a fully fair and balanced way. Giving other teams a second chance to possibly get lucky can add excitement but doesn't seem fair. I'd expect most people who grew up with the playoff system to naturally look at it differently though.   

For me no playoffs please but by all means take those top four teams and have a top four cup after the season for some bragging rights and a trophy or do it in pre-season moving venues across Canada yearly. 

Could eventually do a top four cpl vs mls/usl tournament too.

While I was of the same mind about playoffs when I first moved to Canada and TFC joined MLS, I have slowly become converted - especially given the lack of relegation. It would be odd I think to have playoffs but with single table, kind of defeats the purpose. That said, if we don't include playoffs, we should include some other incentives to reach top 4. One idea that popped in my head is having top 4 receive a bye to the Quarter Finals of the Voyageur's Cup, along with the 3 MLS teams. Maybe you can have the top team from the L1O eastern and western conferences (or just have one representative and have the Challenge Cup winner enter), the PLSQ, and the bottom four CPL teams start in the road before Quarters. 

In addition, if some type of Europa League equivalent starts, you can add further incentives for second and third place.  

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

McMahon has spilled a lot of ink on his opinion that CPL will never launch, and this article just strikes me as someone trying to justify their previous skepticism. The fact that he took to twitter to call Bob Young and Paul Beirne "delusional" shows his desire to grind an axe and probably his lack of access to real sources within the league. 

Claiming that no real progress has been made since no new teams were announced while excluding the quote that new teams will be announced in a month is pretty transparent.

Claiming that governance structures, etc need to be worked out and present a major obstacle when we've been told that is what they've been working on for the last year is also questionable. 

Using previous unconfirmed rumours of the salary cap to claim the league has been "scaled down" despite the fact that a 40-60k salary actually hits the 1-1.5M across 25 men is also disingenuous. 

Then he goes and backs up his claims with experience with a league in a different era with different backing, which is a familiar tactic that seems to have been debunked pretty well. 

I think anyone whose paid attention to the story should notice this: CPL was very cautious about their media presence and their use of actual hard dates. When they suddenly have interviews across most major media outlets in Canada loudly proclaiming a Spring 2019 launch, that is clearly the result of a careful evaluation of their position with information only they are privy to. Anyone outside the league making claims that it is "highly ambitious" is not doing so in an evidence based manner

It's funny.  I criticized Bobby for his negative tone on these boards 5-10 years ago accusing him of "Eurosnobbery".  He ended up emailing me and we had many good discussions thereafter.  Been a while since we last talked.

I can tell you, despite the perceived negative tone, very few would be happier to see the league succeed than he.   

5 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Anyone find it odd that there's been pretty much no coverage from Two Solitudes, Duane Rollins, and Kevin Larame on the recent update?

Yeah I've noticed that going back to the original news of the Surrey stadium going public.  Tweeted them about it then and Rollins said it was just a busy time (and it was to be fair)  But yeah it is interesting.

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Yeah I've noticed that going back to the original news of the Surrey stadium going public.  Tweeted them about it then and Rollins said it was just a busy time (and it was to be fair)  But yeah it is interesting.

Oh ya, not blaming them - I am sure they have tons of obligations, and I am really hoping with the launch of CPL, there will be more opportunities for them to do this fulltime. I was just surprised seeing as they are still pumping out plenty of content on the managerial brouhaha.

36 minutes ago, Ivan said:

It's funny.  I criticized Bobby for his negative tone on these boards 5-10 years ago accusing him of "Eurosnobbery".  He ended up emailing me and we had many good discussions thereafter.  Been a while since we last talked.

I can tell you, despite the perceived negative tone, very few would be happier to see the league succeed than he.   

I'd be happy to change my mind if that was evident, just seems a bit like sour grapes at this point. Maybe it was just poorly researched...since several of the points are simply unfair in the wider context

Or, perhaps, the skeptical voice plays better with his audience, and he's just doing his job. Forbes isn't exactly The Atlantic these days

Edited by Complete Homer

6 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Anybody hear anything on TV about the new commish of CPL?  I didn't .

It's basically the same information all over again from last May, so not surprised. If/when they announce additional franchises and more importantly start making hiring moves consistent with a 2019 launch, media people and blog/podcast types will start paying more attention because actions speak louder than words. The commissioner thing is a non-story (does it matter in the big scheme of things whether it is Beirne or Clanachan, who is the main face for the project making the big announcements?) and it shouldn't be allowed to distract from the Zambrano/Herdman controversy, which is the bigger news story from this week. By the sounds of things the commissioner announcement was originally going to happen in December and was deliberately delayed to almost coincide with the Zambrano firing story breaking.

Thank you BBTB just wanted it on the record officially.

I find it funny all the people who see the CSA as this highly inept organization yet they are also these masterminds that pulled off this vast conspiracy with a private corporation to cover their own asses.  The truth is out there lol.  Be interesting to see if we ever find out the whole story.

I just read the McMahon article and I think it is characterized unfairly. I found it to be a very neutral combination of reporting and opinion and have no reason to quibble with anything said. I don’t believe it to be unduly pessimistic, and the challenges he notes as lying ahead are just that. Nowhere do I see him saying they are insurmountable , only that they are there. Even his reference back to CSL is a “they need to not be like that” rather than an assertion it will fail because of “this”. I don’t feel it is unfair or negative at all.

Edited by Gordon
A word added

10 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Kurt Larson replied to someone in a tweet they made a hire that will help them pursue a TV contract. Sounds like a lot of hires and stuff is happening behind the scenes that they aren't going public with...granted, besides us weirdos who would really care that they hired a media guy.

I assumed Larson was referring to, as @Complete Homerpointed out the other day in a post on the staff we know so far

-Greg McIsaac, former Director of Communications at TSN

-Mark Silver, former lead for TSN Go and CBC Olympic streaming

Edited by Rheo

13 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I assumed Larson was referring to, as @Complete Homerpointed out the other day in a post on the staff we know so far

-Greg McIsaac, former Director of Communications at TSN

-Mark Silver, former lead for TSN Go and CBC Olympic streaming

Ah. Apologies, I was busy and didn't look at this thread for a while.

Makes sense. Putting together a high level team. Great to see.