CPL General

No need to apologize, way too much crap in here to remember it all lol.  I just happened to remember that post standing out the other day.  Also wouldn't surprise me that there are others working there that we don't know about yet.

Edited by Rheo

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

McMahon has spilled a lot of ink on his opinion that CPL will never launch, and this article just strikes me as someone trying to justify their previous skepticism. The fact that he took to twitter to call Bob Young and Paul Beirne "delusional" shows his desire to grind an axe and probably his lack of access to real sources within the league. 

Claiming that no real progress has been made since no new teams were announced while excluding the quote that new teams will be announced in a month is pretty transparent.

Claiming that governance structures, etc need to be worked out and present a major obstacle when we've been told that is what they've been working on for the last year is also questionable. 

Using previous unconfirmed rumours of the salary cap to claim the league has been "scaled down" despite the fact that a 40-60k salary actually hits the 1-1.5M across 25 men is also disingenuous. 

Then he goes and backs up his claims with experience with a league in a different era with different backing, which is a familiar tactic that seems to have been debunked pretty well. 

I think anyone whose paid attention to the story should notice this: CPL was very cautious about their media presence and their use of actual hard dates. When they suddenly have interviews across most major media outlets in Canada loudly proclaiming a Spring 2019 launch, that is clearly the result of a careful evaluation of their position with information only they are privy to. Anyone outside the league making claims that it is "highly ambitious" is not doing so in an evidence based manner

He took a page out of the BBTB playbook....wait! Could BBTB = Bobby McMahon. 

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Thank you BBTB just wanted it on the record officially.

I find it funny all the people who see the CSA as this highly inept organization yet they are also these masterminds that pulled off this vast conspiracy with a private corporation to cover their own asses.  The truth is out there lol.  Be interesting to see if we ever find out the whole story.

Why do you have a problem with people who see the CSA as a highly inept organization or are surprized that people see the CSA as an inept organization? With all due respect to the women's game, unfortunately it's what they have done with the men's program where the vast majority of soccer fans judge the CSA, and for too many years now not much has been accomplished on the men's side, so I don't know why you would think it's funny that they are so many people that see the CSA as this inept organization, I'm actually surprised that there are people who defend this organization very surprised.

4 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Why do you have a problem with people who see the CSA as a highly inept organization or are surprized that people see the CSA as an inept organization? With all due respect to the women's game, unfortunately it's what they have done with the men's program where the vast majority of soccer fans judge the CSA, and for too many years now not much has been accomplished on the men's side, so I don't know why you would think it's funny that they are so many people that see the CSA as this inept organization, I'm actually surprised that there are people who defend this organization very surprised.

Dude... Give it a rest.

2 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Why do you have a problem with people who see the CSA as a highly inept organization or are surprized that people see the CSA as an inept organization? 

I have no problem with people calling the CSA inept.  I may not see it the same way but it is valid especially after the questionable coaching changes this week.  But I'm not going to argue this in here because a-what's done is done and b-this isn't the forum for it

However I never said it was a problem for the record.  Just that I personally find it funny that there are people who feel that the CSA is entirely inept but yet so Machiavellian to manage to hold up the naming of the commissioner for a month, arguably damaging the league with the continuing lack of information, all in the name of trying to change the narrative in the Canadian soccer community and get heat off themselves.  

It is a possibility sure but it also should be noted that the CPL is a private business and the CSA has no say on what they do and when they make announcements.

11 minutes ago, 1996 said:

They aren't perfect but it's unfair to say that there haven't been changes and a willingness to improve.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They aren't perfect but it's unfair to say that there haven't been changes and a willingness to improve.

My main point was someone finding it funny that many find the CSA so inept based on the record, however, it does not mean that there is no hope there is always hope and that is the beauty of life.

27 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Why do you have a problem with people who see the CSA as a highly inept organization or are surprized that people see the CSA as an inept organization? ...

Still have my black t-shirt from the Costa Rica game back in 2007. Maybe time to dust it off again. Suspect there are a few people posting here who weren't even soccer fans at that point and want to back rather than sack the CSA because it's Canadian goddammit as much as anything else. Don't agree with everything Victor Montagliani did but he was clearly a skilled operator to make it to the CONCACAF presidency and he did skillfully use this CanPL initiative to wring some concessions on the domestic player issue out of MLS. The fear with the latest Zambrano/Herdman move has to be that the momentum toward reform that followed the black t-shirt game has been lost and we are slowly heading back to Kevan Pipe and Dale Mitchell levels of old boy's network ineptitude again.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Anyone find it odd that there's been pretty much no coverage from Two Solitudes, Duane Rollins, and Kevin Larame on the recent update?

I haven't listened to it yet but in the tweet for the today's show they used the league hashtag so I assume they're discussing it 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Still have my black t-shirt from the Costa Rica game back in 2007. Maybe time to dust it off again.  Suspect there are a few people posting here who weren't even soccer fans at that point and want to back rather than sack the CSA because it's Canadian goddammit as much as anything else.

Gotta love that snide little backhand remark towards anyone who happened to be born at a time that's not conducive to your narrative.

Edited by Gopherbashi