CPL General

Announcing Halifax as a franchise is the obvious next step on that sort of timeline and from what I remember needs to happen before they can finalize the pop-up deal with the city officials there and deal with the bizarre series of amendments that were added to the city council approval. It's never been clear what the hold-up on that has been given S|E|A still appear to be gung ho about the whole thing judging by the tweets they send out. One possible complication that could have been delaying it is the CSA wanting to admit teams into membership first before anything is announced by CanPL.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

But as you admitted yesterday, you have no proof.  Yet here you are passing it off as near truth as always.  Good to see some things never change lol

You’re dealing with a thin skinned individual. He’s going to ignore you eventually. 

On 13/01/2018 at 3:44 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Delaying an announcement we had been told to expect by Scott Mitchell and Peter Schaad's tweets just before Christmas until not long after New Year doesn't take a mastermind, and the CSA being behind it provides an explanation for why Peter Schaad found the reason for the latest delay infuriating and was amazed that the story involved (i.e. Zambrano about to be ousted, because he was not viewed positively by CSA insiders) hadn't leaked yet. There is silence for months when there really doesn't need to be because CanPL have known would be entrants they could be firing off press releases about and then suddenly CanPL and the CSA have breaking stories almost simultaneously (when the normal protocol would be to space them out so as not to steal the limelight) and it's all just a coincidence? Sure whatever you say.

I was really hoping you'd made a New Year's resolution to be less of a jerk-off but alas I was wrong. 2018 is going to be the longest of years while waiting for the CPL to start and having to read your drivel on here.

Latest from Bobby McMahon:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/01/14/clarifying-investment-of-500m-in-the-new-canadian-premier-and-spitballing-budget-numbers/#53ded3b5bdd7

...I received a prompt response from Greg McIsaac who is handling communications for the CPL.

“I am confirming that that the Commissioner was speaking colloquially to Kurt Larson. He was making a general reference to the economic activity that will be driven through the CPL’s development of players, coaches, administrators and the overall professionalising of the game in Canada.”

Given that the context of $500M over 10 years is "economic activity" it changes my understanding of the level of spending across the league...

^^^building a strawman argument given nobody questions that CanPL exists and has hired the likes of Paul Beirne, and people on here have been well aware that the CSA has wanted to pursue the launch of a domestic pro league under their own sanctioning going back at least as far as the moratorium in 2010, given it very publicly ended the aspirations of FC London and the Victoria Highlanders where USL Pro were concerned, and arguably as far back as the KPMG report and CUSL in the late 90s. Some of us have been watching it all unfold and posting about it online for over 20 years and didn't just jump on the bandwagon recently. Delaying an announcement a bit to take a bit of heat off the CSA when they are in an awkward spot doesn't take a mastermind in strategy terms and wouldn't be a conspiracy. It would just be a case of doing a favour for the organization that sanctions you, and the fuss that has been made over this is frankly bizarre given it really doesn't matter all that much in the big scheme of things.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Latest from Bobby McMahon:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2018/01/14/clarifying-investment-of-500m-in-the-new-canadian-premier-and-spitballing-budget-numbers/#53ded3b5bdd7

...I received a prompt response from Greg McIsaac who is handling communications for the CPL.

“I am confirming that that the Commissioner was speaking colloquially to Kurt Larson. He was making a general reference to the economic activity that will be driven through the CPL’s development of players, coaches, administrators and the overall professionalising of the game in Canada.”

Given that the context of $500M over 10 years is "economic activity" it changes my understanding of the level of spending across the league...

I noticed that you chose to not quote this part:

"$500M over a period of ten years/ten teams equates to $5M of “economic activity” per team per year.

I am going to assume that investment in fixed assets and franchise fees will be written down through annual depreciation charges and such charges are captured as part of the annual budget.

Using an inflation rate of 2.5% a team's budget in year 1 is likely to be around $4.5M rising to $5.6M in year 10.

Further, a player salary percentage of 25% to 33% of operating expenses seems to be a reasonable estimate given the  start-up costs involved in launching a new team in a new market.

That puts player salaries in the $1.12M to $1.5M range. Spread across a pool of 20 players that works out at an average salary and benefits cost of $56,000 to $75,000."

I should probably retract what I said about McMahon's coverage before, seems like he took the time to get some clarification from the league

Edited by Complete Homer

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I noticed that you chose to not quote this part:

"$500M over a period of ten years/ten teams equates to $5M of “economic activity” per team per year.

I am going to assume that investment in fixed assets and franchise fees will be written down through annual depreciation charges and such charges are captured as part of the annual budget.

Using an inflation rate of 2.5% a team's budget in year 1 is likely to be around $4.5M rising to $5.6M in year 10.

Further, a player salary percentage of 25% to 33% of operating expenses seems to be a reasonable estimate given the  start-up costs involved in launching a new team in a new market.

That puts player salaries in the $1.12M to $1.5M range. Spread across a pool of 20 players that works out at an average salary and benefits cost of $56,000 to $75,000."

I should probably retract what I said about McMahon's coverage before, seems like he took the time to get some clarification from the league

So basically what I said earlier; total expenses of $5m/year.

5 hours ago, Rheo said:

Northern Starting Eleven article on what the league might look like in the future (once again if it exists and isn't a conspiracy to overshadow the Herdman hire

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/a-vision-for-a-canadian-league-pyramid/

Alright, it sounds great in theory, but it assumes that you have a large, stable, financially-viable pool of D2 teams, which - despite minimal media coverage or notoriety, likely a limited fan base, very limited player budget, and negligible professional facilities - will be able to correct all of these things (particularly the last one) on a very short off-season of notice to become financially-viable D1 teams which present themselves to the professional standard that the league requires.

I'm not convinced, or even hopeful, that that's a valid assumption.

It's nice to talk about FC Lethbridge vs St John's Green-Pink FC vying for promotion to the CPL, but it's incredibly unlikely that either of those teams' owners will be spending their shoestring budget on stadium construction, land acquisition, or training facilities.  They'd likely be playing on municipal fields with metal bleachers - without gridiron lines if they're lucky - and something which couldn't be upgraded to the required professional standards over winter (even ignoring the bureaucratic red tape).  Sounds fine if you want a St John's version of the CSL's Esther Shiner but I think we're all aiming a little bit higher than that.

22 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Alright, it sounds great in theory, but it assumes that you have a large, stable, financially-viable pool of D2 teams, which - despite minimal media coverage or notoriety, likely a limited fan base, very limited player budget, and negligible professional facilities - will be able to correct all of these things (particularly the last one) on a very short off-season of notice to become financially-viable D1 teams which present themselves to the professional standard that the league requires.

Only way I see it working is if there is some sort of revenue sharing along with a "golden trampoline" of sorts (as in, promoted teams get a lump sum along with a share in the league's shared revenue stream), or they are totally ok with "have-not" markets playing in low end facilities and facing serious issues with paying for travel 

Or, I suppose, you could have a financial test built into promotion. It feels tacky but lots of leagues do it, so that's an option. 

I was hopeful that there would be some sort of pyramid-wide revenue sharing but the sounds of independent clubs makes me skeptical of that

Regardless, if/when they are able to expand to that point, there's lots of lessons to be learned from the US struggles with lower leagues. For one, multiple regional leagues are fine at the D2 level IMO

Edited by Complete Homer

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

All I know is that I will be celebrating when the PEI PotatoLobsters FC win promotion and kick the shit out of your teams.  

I can recall the the greatest promotion relegation stories ever been told in Canada, there were teams such tim Hortons, Coffee time,  newly promoted Starbucks and crispy cream, we now know there are only 2 remaining. So i say bring  n the Promotion and Relegation CPL  it will have the same results as these restaurant franchises that stood the test of time, Cheers it coffee time!!!!!!

And the building of bizarre strawman arguments continues. Would have thought if there were any surprise with Roy's trip so far it is the lack of local media stories, but maybe that wasn't the point of the exercise. Too bad K/W is a hop, skip and a jump from TO and Hamilton because his arrival there would have been a sign of ongoing activity there given that's a market where there is a possible basis for wondering if anything untoward has happened given Barry Mclean has said nothing in the mainsteam media for a while.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

And the building of bizarre strawman arguments continues. Would have thought if there were any surprise with Roy's trip so far it is the lack of local media stories so far, but maybe that wasn't the point of the exercise. Too bad K/W is a hop, skip and a jump from TO and Hamilton because his arrival there would have been a sign of ongoing activity there given that's a market where there is a possible basis for wondering if anything untoward has happened given Barry Mclean has said nothing in the mainsteam media for a while.

I'm not making an argument?! I'm poking fun!

19 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Cue @BringBackTheBlizzard with "This is not a good sign because the Winnipeg franchise is already confirmed so the only reason for Ray Nasrallah to be there would be deal some sort of issue. Perhaps the ownership group has had a change of heart. 5 team launch confirmed."

Or it could be about us naive folks following the fake prophet Roy....

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Cue @BringBackTheBlizzard with "This is not a good sign because the Winnipeg franchise is already confirmed so the only reason for Ray Nasrallah to be there would be deal some sort of issue. Perhaps the ownership group has had a change of heart. 5 team launch confirmed."

Actual validity of that take aside (it's not impossible), I think the analysis would be "The league is in trouble if both confirmed teams are now having second thoughts about the stability of this project."

Confirming any type of launch for this league is not an opinion I expect to see anytime soon. ;) 

Edited by Gopherbashi

13 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Actual validity of that take aside (it's not impossible), I think the analysis would be "The league is in trouble if both confirmed teams are now having second thoughts about the stability of this project."

Confirming any type of launch for this league is not an opinion I expect to see anytime soon. ;) 

You strawman :)

Meanwhile, back in the real world the main reason for seeing a potential problem at the moment is that FC Edmonton are not on board despite leaving the NASL and that's all well-documented and isn't based on speculation of some kind. The recent revelation that there are probably no interested groups in Quebec also raises a bit of a red flag. If everything was going smoothly according to what was expected last May the first kick off would only be six or seven months away now and we would be discussing all the returning Canadian players that would be being signed in the current transfer window and the progress of season ticket sales in each of the six cities that form part of the post-World Cup soft launch.

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Meanwhile, back in the real world the main reason for seeing a potential problem at the moment is that FC Edmonton are not on board despite leaving the NASL and that's all well-documented and isn't based on speculation of some kind. The recent revelation that there are probably no interested groups in Quebec also raises a bit of a red flag. If everything was going smoothly according to what was expected last May the first kick off would only be six or seven months away now and we would be discussing all the returning Canadian players that would be being signed in the current transfer window and the progress of season ticket sales in each of the six cities that form part of the post-World Cup soft launch.

Of note, it is now being widely claimed that it will be 8-10 teams at launch in 2019, not six.