CPL General

Only other things I'd highlight from @Ansemwould be

-importance of creating a soccer economy in the country

-when speaking or pro/rel

• The CPL also has cast its long term eye on the World Cup in 2026 when it should have a roster of a couple of at least a couple of dozen teams across the nation, likely playing on more than one tier. Beirne has already said publicly that Canadian fans should eventually expect some form of relegation/promotion process, which would be new to North American professional sport.

Well, this is excellent news. 

I don't know what excites me more; the fact that there will (probably) be more than 6 teams at launch, or the fact that Québec will be getting a team. And Moncton?! That is awesome news. Les acadiens et acadiennes need a team! 

I'm happy Ottawa is making the jump too. 

A very good news day. 

I don't know how I feel about pro/rel. I'm - at first glance - opposed, in principal. But I've only ever seen it carried out in France and Belgium, and the two teams I like are NEVER in danger of relegation so I cannot say I've ever been invested in the idea. 

40 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

mentions Mississauga as a serious candidate. I honestly didn't know that. Thought it was so far just a grassroots thing hoping for an investor.

I suspect Steve Milton is going by what he sees online and is not passing on inside info. Moncton was another red flag for me that way, as was Regina being mentioned rather than Saskatoon. It's better to stick to what Paul Beirne and the new commissioner say in direct quotes and if they still expect to launch in 8 to 10 markets, I doubt much has changed in the last six months in terms of the markets that were on the spectrum of readiness.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I suspect Steve Milton is going by what he sees online and is not passing on inside info. Moncton was another red flag for me that way, as was Regina being mentioned rather than Saskatoon. It's better to stick to what Paul Beirne and the new commissioner say in direct quotes and if they still expect to launch in 8 to 10 markets, I doubt much has changed in the last six months in terms of the markets that were on the spectrum of readiness.

I suspect the opposite. 

The guy is pretty credible.

we can go back and forth on this for a page and a half or we could just agree to disagree now. cool?

Respectfully disagree BBTB.  Milton has always been their go to guy when they want to say something.  You may be right but I'd be willing to bet that his info is from the league.  That being said there's not much if anything that's listed as a definite.  If they did give him the info they gave themselves wiggle room.

Nobody's forcing you to respond to anything, Lazlo_80, and I really couldn't care less if you agree with me or not. My point was that we know Joe Belen eventually identified the fairground in Saskatoon as his preferred site after Regina went ahead with demolishing the old Taylor Field that he had wanted to use, that the news from Moncton was the local soccer association desperately looking for an investor, and I seem to remember Paul Beirne talking in a podcast about there being no investor in Mississauga but liking what the fans there were doing.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Worth noting that Clanachan is staying on with Tim Hortons in an advisory role

Not to use sickening buzzwords... but talk about the opportunity for marketing synergy. Tim Hortons profits enormously off of Canadian identity and has a large grassroots soccer program. Would not be surprised to see him leverage that for CPL 

6 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Not to use sickening buzzwords... but talk about the opportunity for marketing synergy. Tim Hortons profits enormously off of Canadian identity and has a large grassroots soccer program. Would not be surprised to see him leverage that for CPL 

"Hi, I'm Atiba Hutchison. The Timbits CPL program is great for kids to learn the game of soccer..."

Edited by mpg_29

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Nobody's forcing you to respond to anything, Lazlo_80, and I really couldn't care less if you agree with me or not. My point was that we know Joe Belen eventually identified the fairground in Saskatoon as his preferred site after Regina went ahead with demolishing the old Taylor Field that he had wanted to use, that the news from Moncton was the local soccer association desperately looking for an investor, and I seem to remember Paul Beirne talking in a podcast about there being no investor in Mississauga but liking what the fans there were doing.

And nobody is forcing you to respond either. You addressed me, I addressed you back. simple as that.

I was merely trying to forego the bloat that tends to happen on this thread when two people of differing opinions attempt to get the final word in. If you need to reiterate your point, allow me to reiterate mine so there's no confusion:

My point was that I trust Milton's new info more than the old info from various sources that you choose to trust.

I'm not stopping you from believing those things. go nuts. believe away. And I'll believe what I believe. And we can all go on our merry way and not have to bog down this thread anymore. Cool?

17 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

It's still hard to get certainty on how many/what teams will be starting for sure. Article says 10 will likely be ready in 2019... but lists 6 that will "likely be ready for 2019" and then lists 8 that are "serious candidates".

Reading it again, it makes more sense. The six said to be likely to be ready were Hamilton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Saskatoon, BC and Halifax (three depend on stadium builds of some description that have yet to be finalized and that could be part of what Roy Nasrallah is up to), which are a good fit for recent concrete news and press releases. The 8 "serious candidates" is just him throwing out various possibilities for the other two to four needed to reach eight to ten at launch. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Reading it again, it makes more sense. The six said to be likely to be ready were Hamilton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Saskatoon, BC and Halifax (three depend on stadium builds of some description that have yet to be finalized), which are a good fit for recent concrete news and press releases. The 8 "serious candidates" is just him throwing out various possibilities for the other two to four needed to reach eight to ten at launch. 

Right so the "likely start with 10" is mostly BS. My guess is "likely start with 6" is much more accurate.

8 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right so the "likely start with 10" is mostly BS. My guess is "likely start with 6" is much more accurate.

Agreed. The timeline is very tight in any market they need to build something in (with the exception of Halifax), so I am not surprised they are using weasel words on 2019. Interesting thing to watch is whether the York Region with Jim Brennan story pans out in the next few weeks because the Ontario Soccer Centre gets them significantly closer to six without building anything new and if April 2019 is a serious goal the teams will slowly start hiring coach/GM/ticket sales type figures over the next six months.

51 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I suspect Steve Milton is going by what he sees online and is not passing on inside info.

I have to disagree.  Milton was and has been the first and often only  mainstream media guy covering the CPL.  He’s very connected to the Hamilton Tiger Cats and I’ve heard him talking CPL on TSN radio a couple times.

Of all the mainstream media guys out there he knows what’s going on more than anyone but because so much stuff is off the record he can’t always talk about it.

Kind of curious to hear what Totera has to say tonight in regards to the CPL now given the frustration with the CSA and CPL news rollout he expressed on Monday's show.  However the local wrestling group is doing a free show at the same time and I really want to check that out.

31 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I have to disagree.  Milton was and has been the first and often only  mainstream media guy covering the CPL.  He’s very connected to the Hamilton Tiger Cats and I’ve heard him talking CPL on TSN radio a couple times.

Of all the mainstream media guys out there he knows what’s going on more than anyone but because so much stuff is off the record he can’t always talk about it.

I do hope he has his facts straight about the potential new teams more than he does about MLS in Canada - his article states that MLS teams began play in Canada in 2005, when it was in fact 2007.

15 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I do hope he has his facts straight about the potential new teams more than he does about MLS in Canada - his article states that MLS teams began play in Canada in 2005, when it was in fact 2007.

I caught that too, I think he's confusing when the first franchise was awarded and when they began play.

My favourite part of the Spectator article is probably that he called it "MSL" instead of "MLS". Nice to undermine them a little bit.

As mentioned earlier he also said 2005 instead of 2007, and one time mentioned the 2016 World Cup when he meant 2026. Hopefully his other numbers like the number of teams, the salaries of the players, etc weren't also wrong.

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

yea but tim hortons is also hated as fuck right now in ontario (and likely other places) by young liberal leaning folks (aka the folks that typically like soccer)

i'm not saying it's bad to partner with tims (there already tim hortons field) but if people are as pissed as i was hearing this weekend it might be a rough start

for your reading pleasure https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjppaw/canadians-are-mad-as-hell-at-tim-hortons

Edited by matty