CPL General

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Lots of things they can announce given they have stayed so silent when they really didn't need to. Provisional franchises for Surrey, Saskatoon, York Region (?) and Halifax would be an obvious one and maybe even a launch date (given they can always back track later if it proves impossible and there is no obvious reason not to set a goal on that publicly at this point)? Naive of anyone to think this isn't about helping the CSA through the Zambrano/Herdman situation, which in retrospect may well be what was described by Peter Schaad as an infuriating reason for further delay in December that suprisingly hadn't leaked yet.

Yeah, I would hope we get some concrete details like locations or a start date out of this.  If it turns out to be "We're announcing that we'll select a commissioner within the next 60-90 days" I think I'll flip my shit.

It's certainly fortuitous timing with the Herdman situation but I don't know that it was necessarily planned that way.  If they knew that Herdman was swapping back in December, they could have announced both of them then, and it's tough to see the CPL strategically moving up info releases considering that they've been moving with all the speed of a paraplegic snail up until this point.

http://canpl.ca/article/david-clanachan-named-first-commissioner-of-cpl

They just announced their first commissioner.

Edit: A bit underwhelming and surprised it's not Paul Beirne, but the key snippet in the press release is that they plan to announce more franchises in the coming weeks, which will be the thing to watch. Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary as the three non-MLS million plus media markets are the key to all this moving forward, in my opinion, and it's not clear that any of the three are firmly on board right now.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Seems like a good hire but not quite the ground breaking news most would be hoping for especially given this in the release

• Clanachan will oversee all aspects of the CPL. Clanachan’s first order of business will be to award official CPL clubs in key Canadian communities from coast to coast.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Edit: A bit underwhelming and surprised it's not Paul Beirne, but the key snippet in the press release is that they plan to announce more franchises in the coming weeks, which will be the thing to watch. Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary as the three non-MLS million plus media markets are the key to all this moving forward, in my opinion, and it's not clear that any of the three are firmly on board right now.

They also pretty much confirmed a Spring 2019 league start, which is nice. I have a feeling the 30 day tour by Roy Nasrallah will be tied in with the new franchise announcements - just a hunch.

^^^True but the "set to" suggests they are not fully confident on that yet and still have a lot to do. I suspect that the 30 day tour probably involves convincing municipal officials to approve pop-ups and stadium retrofits as much as it does franchise announcements, so that they can get to six confirmed with two in the pipeline. Guess it's no surprise they would have looked to Tim Hortons for the hire given who sponsors the Ticats' stadium.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

So far we've got:

-Paul Beirne, former TFC President 

-Roy Nasrallah, former head of Nike Middle East

-Greg McIsaac, former Director of Communications at TSN

-Mark Silver, former lead for TSN Go and CBC Olympic streaming

-David Clanachan, former Tim Horton's President and COO

-Probably a few others I'm forgetting

No one can say they haven't put together a well qualified, legitimate league office. Very happy to see the kind of group they've assembled. This league has the business minds to finally make a legitimate attempt at forming a stable pro league. 

Plus, I don't think anyone can say they would be able to attract these types of people if the project was shakey. 

Edited by Complete Homer

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I can't believe they were able to get him on such short notice just to take away attention from the Herdman story (yes this is sarcasm)

The Herdman story has been brewing for a while by the sounds of things and wasn't supposed to surface publicly until tomorrow. This would have broken first, if it had all gone according to plan.

59 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Pretty cool news. Not shocked by PB is not the man. Looking forward to the next few weeks after they finally delivered on something on schedule lol

Seems like a great hire. This certainly shakes away some of the "this will be small time" stigma.

The first of many exciting drip drops, they won't announce everything in one fell swoop.

they need to keep people interested in this storyline for over a year until the league gets going. Expect a team announced every few weeks or months so they can stretch this thing out.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

mentions Mississauga as a serious candidate. I honestly didn't know that. Thought it was so far just a grassroots thing hoping for an investor.

1. April 2019 is kick off
  2. Season will be from April to October
  3. David Clanachan as its first commissioner
  4. 10 teams are expected to be in the league initially
  5. Ottawa Fury are expected to switch to CPL
  6. serious candidates also includes Kitchener-Waterloo, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Quebec City, Moncton, Mississauga and a second GTA franchise in either Vaughan or York Township
  7. CPL will be Division 1 making it officially the top league in the country in the eyes of the Federation Internationale de Football (FIFA)
  8. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver) will continue to have their teams in Major League Soccer
  9. The CPL will have a salary cap and while some players will make into six figures for the season, the average salary is likely to land somewhere between $40,000 and $60,000 per season.
  10. There will also be an "import limit", restricting each team to an as-yet-unannounced number of non-domestic players.
  11. The CPL is in partnership with the Canadian Soccer Association which sees the new league which views a domestic pro league as the top of its men's development pathway.
  12. Beirne has already said publicly that Canadian fans should eventually expect some form of relegation/promotion process, which would be new to North American professional sport.

Finally on TSN

Clanachan named commissioner of Canadian Premier League

https://www.tsn.ca/clanachan-named-commissioner-of-canadian-premier-league-1.964154

The men's pro soccer league, which has been on the drawing board for some four years and under construction for one, is set to debut in the spring of 2019. Clanachan (pronounced clan-a-han) says the league is currently dealing with 12 to 15 interested cities and expects to launch with eight to 10 teams.

And

Sportsnet

David Clanachan named Canadian Premier League commissioner

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/david-clanachan-named-commissioner-canadian-premier-league/

Edited by Ansem