CPL General

What's changed since May 2017 in any of this? Two franchises in place, no firm commitment yet from FCE or the Fury, with more to be announced soon is where things were at over six months ago. Looks like one last roll of the dice to put the numbers together after the 2018 soft launch fell through. Ottawa's posture will probably be crucial if they don't have Edmonton as the path to six viable stadia solutions (in reasonably sized markets that can be expected to make a good first impression) on a 15 month timeline is not easy to envisage otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Realistically though, I was interpreting that as $500m in expenses, not a $500m loss.

That kind of rhetoric helps explain Tom Fath's sustainability posture.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

11 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Until then, the league’s executive members are plucking from a list of prospective markets that includes ownership groups from all but one non-Maritime province.

Such an ugly sentence - basically five provinces west of the Maritimes have prospective ownership groups, and one province does not.  The question is whether they're including Winnipeg as a prospective market, and by extension whether they have any leads in Quebec.  Every other province is accounted for.

Hopefully that's what it means.  Based on the Milton article yesterday it would appear that Quebec was in play but then again that depends on whether you believe he's spitballing or writing based on info from the league.

11 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Hopefully that's what it means.  Based on the Milton article yesterday it would appear that Quebec was in play but then again that depends on whether you believe he's spitballing or writing based on info from the league.

Just asked Larson if it meant Manitoba was not included because of the team already being granted or if there's nothing in Quebec yet.  If he replies I'll post.

26 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Until then, the league’s executive members are plucking from a list of prospective markets that includes ownership groups from all but one non-Maritime province.

Such an ugly sentence - basically five provinces west of the Maritimes have prospective ownership groups, and one province does not.  The question is whether they're including Winnipeg as a prospective market, and by extension whether they have any leads in Quebec.  Every other province is accounted for.

Newfoundland is a non-maritime province. (I feel like there's been talk of a team there maybe but they weren't mentioned in the article.)

Yeah that sentence is so confusing. Any province that isn't New Brunswick, P.E.I and Nova Scotia is a "non-Maritime" province...

I'm guessing he meant Newfoundland as many people think it is a Maritime province...It's like he is injecting trivia questions in a news article..

Edit: Wait.... I remember hearing a group talking about bringing a team to St. John's...but don't remember anything from P.E.I...so this is confusing.

Edited by mpg_29

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Assuming 12 teams spending $1.5m/year on payroll for 10 years, that leaves at least $300m (or roughly $2.5m/year/team) left over.  Gotta wonder how much of that is earmarked with a "Stadium" post-it.

Usually salaries counts in your yearly budget as expenses vs revenues. That $500M should be considered as initial investment in the asset. (Infrastructure, HR, cashflow, marketing, etc...)

55 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah that sentence is so confusing. Any province that isn't New Brunswick, P.E.I and Nova Scotia is a "non-Maritime" province...

I'm guessing he meant Newfoundland as many people think it is a Maritime province...It's like he is injecting trivia questions in a news article..

Edit: Wait.... I remember hearing a group talking about bringing a team to St. John's...but don't remember anything from P.E.I...so this is confusing.

This whole non-Maritime thing confuses the hell out of me. Regardless, I can't see how PEI would work based solely on the population requirement as the entire province only has about 140,000 people. Maybe they'd bank on travelling support from Halifax, Moncton, and Quebec City with McCain bank rolling the team. I'd love a footy road trip to the Island once or twice a year.

Edited by HfxCeltic
too many words

1 hour ago, HfxCeltic said:

This whole non-Maritime thing confuses the hell out of me. Regardless, I can't see how PEI would work based solely on the population requirement as the entire province only has about 140,000 people. Maybe they'd bank on travelling support from Halifax, Moncton, and Quebec City with McCain bank rolling the team. I'd love a footy road trip to the Island once or twice a year.

The non-maritime sentence isn't saying anything about the maritime provinces. It's saying all but one of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and Newfoundland (unless he was like me and didn't realize Newfoundland is not a maritime province. I learned something today!) have prospective teams.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Usually salaries counts in your yearly budget as expenses vs revenues. That $500M should be considered as initial investment in the asset. (Infrastructure, HR, cashflow, marketing, etc...)

I'm still very confused as to how they plan making money without TV

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What's interesting about the Calgary angle is that it appears to be the Foothills Roy Nasrallah is meeting (Foothills involvement has been rumoured on here a couple of times in the past) rather than the Stampeders or Spruce Meadows. Do the Foothills have the money and stadium available to be able to launch a team in 2019? If not, Calgary isn't firmly on board yet in terms of the spectrum of readiness.

If they roll it out and the owners of Spruce Meadows are involved, that'd be great. However, if they put the pop-up at Spruce Meadows, I'd be afraid it'd be killing the team before they played a match. It has to be one of the worst venue location in the city, with the only worse location would being by the mega mall in the North of the city. I think the Ottawa Senators have recently reiterated the point that the stadiums location and accessibility cannot be overlooked. 

9 hours ago, matty said:

Did he say it's the plan? The main quote I've seen him say (haven't hear the audio interview yet) is that he can imagine it if they get to 16 teams and others want in at which point you explore it. He's a fan of it but did not outright say it's in the plan.

I really can't see it working here. I get it's the world standard, but 3 nations very similar to Canada don't and likely will never have it unless it's forced on them. There's a lot of domestic sporting traditions you'd need fans to accepting breaking for it to succeed and owners willing to make even less/lose more for long periods of time if they're in D2. If A-League does it and it works with great success, then prehaps I'll change my tune on it.

No...I shouldn't have put it in quotes.

8 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I wonder how long it takes for the CPL to be in FIFA, having it in the game would do wonders for its recognition right away. 

It would be huge. For everything they say about grassroots iniatives...being in fifa will connect more people than almost any grassroots initiatives you can think of

If I was in their shoes I'd give away the rights for free for a few years and even offer to provide the basic scouting report. If EA has a free license and just uses generic player models CPL probably wouldn't have much difficulty getting into the game

3 minutes ago, Oranje said:

That is fucking unfortunate then....

Obviously @shermanatorwould be able to speak more to this, but my time in Calgary was that it is very much a car city and the transit lines are only really used by people within a narrow strip along the C-train routes to get to the city center

Traffic going around the city always seemed super light, I'm tempted to believe Spruce Meadows would be more convenient than most downtown locations for most residents, with the exception of those who want a beer with the game. Less visible though 

Edited by Complete Homer

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Obviously @shermanatorwould be able to speak more to this, but my time in Calgary was that it is very much a car city and the transit lines are only really used by people within a narrow strip along the C-train routes to get to the city center

Traffic going around the city always seemed super light, I'm tempted to believe Spruce Meadows would be more convenient than most downtown locations for most residents, with the exception of those who want a beer with the game. Less visible though 

You can't really go around Calgary with the ring road on the south west (Spruce Meadow) and west side no actual completion date. If you're a resident of the SE or SW (south of Glenmore Reservoir) it wouldn't be a problem getting to SM. The remaining NW/NE/.5SW is looking at a hassle to get there.

Just using myself as an example, I live central and it'd be 30-45 min drive on a Saturday to get there. This also means I cannot partake in inebriating concession (thus spending less at the park) and will be spending as much time on the road as I will at the game. Magnify that even more if I took transit so I can drink or a $50 cab ride each way. With around 50% of Calgary's population are North of me, they aren't doing themselves any favors. It does, however, set itself up for a North and a South team in the future ;) 

Land is much cheaper way down there so I understand, I just think the cost analysis is off if it's a massive hassle for the majority of the Calgarians to get there as well as the complete elimination of 'walk up' sales because you literally cannot walk to Spruce Meadows

7 minutes ago, Oranje said:

You can't really go around Calgary with the ring road on the south west (Spruce Meadow) and west side no actual completion date. If you're a resident of the SE or SW (south of Glenmore Reservoir) it wouldn't be a problem getting to SM. The remaining NW/NE/.5SW is looking at a hassle to get there.

Just using myself as an example, I live central and it'd be 30-45 min drive on a Saturday to get there. This also means I cannot partake in inebriating concession (thus spending less at the park) and will be spending as much time on the road as I will at the game. Magnify that even more if I took transit so I can drink or a $50 cab ride each way. With around 50% of Calgary's population are North of me, they aren't doing themselves any favors. It does, however, set itself up for a North and a South team in the future ;) 

Land is much cheaper way down there so I understand, I just think the cost analysis is off if it's a massive hassle for the majority of the Calgarians to get there as well as the complete elimination of 'walk up' sales because you literally cannot walk to Spruce Meadows

Didn't realize you were a Calgary resident, thought you were from Mississauga for some reason. Disregard my input, locals obviously know better. I spent less than 6 months in Calgary so I'm just going off that

Edited by Complete Homer