CONCACAF Nations League

2 hours ago, ray said:

Yes, looks likely there will be groups or "leagues" as you call them within the tiers.  Canada would be low-ranked in a tier 1 group or highly-ranked if in tier 2.  Interested to hear the number of teams promoted/relegated between the tiers.

But so nice for the fans to have something regular to follow.

Wonder whether this put an end to the Central American and Caribbean competitions if they are no longer Gold Cup qualification tournaments.

And it would put to an end the goldmine of FIFA ranking points the winners come out of these tournaments with. 

3 hours ago, ray said:

Wonder whether this put an end to the Central American and Caribbean competitions if they are no longer Gold Cup qualification tournaments.

That actually makes me sad to some extent - it was nice to see those quaint little regional tournaments even if they did put us at a disadvantage.

Thinking about the details also makes me think how amazing it would be to have CONMEBOL in the top tier of this.  Just think - you could have a top 8 league consisting of Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, and Colombia. ;) 

Something I was just thinking about. I'm not sure how this would work as qualifying for the Gold Cup and to continue having the Gold Cup every 2 years. I'm assuming the way it would work is that the top tier and maybe a couple of the 2nd tier would qualify for the Gold Cup. That to me means you would need 2 Nations League cycles to make qualifying fair. Consider a team in the 3rd tier. They would have to go through a season to get promoted to the 2nd tier. Then they would need to compete in another season in the 2nd tier to finish high enough to get into the Gold Cup. If they stick with the Gold Cup every 2 years then it seems like a lot of teams (at least a third, more if the bottom tier is larger than the others) that wouldn't even have a theoretical chance of qualifying.

To be clear, I do want to switch to a 4 year Gold cup cycle, so I would be OK with this if it did change.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

Something I was just thinking about. I'm not sure how this would work as qualifying for the Gold Cup and to continue having the Gold Cup every 2 years. I'm assuming the way it would work is that the top tier and maybe a couple of the 2nd tier would qualify for the Gold Cup. That to me means you would need 2 Nations League cycles to make qualifying fair. Consider a team in the 3rd tier. They would have to go through a season to get promoted to the 2nd tier. Then they would need to compete in another season in the 2nd tier to finish high enough to get into the Gold Cup. If they stick with the Gold Cup every 2 years then it seems like a lot of teams (at least a third, more if the bottom tier is larger than the others) that wouldn't even have a theoretical chance of qualifying.

To be clear, I do want to switch to a 4 year Gold cup cycle, so I would be OK with this if it did change.

I wonder if you could have some kind of qualifying tournament which starts with the third-tier teams to at least give them a theoretical chance.

4 hours ago, matty said:

Suspect

1 - 10 teams with 2 leagues of 5. Bottom of each goes down.

2 - 12 teams with 3 leagues of 4. Bottom 3 go down. 2nd to last 3 do play-offs. Top team in a group goes up.

3 - 19 teams with 5 leagues of 3 and 1 of 4. Best 3 overall go up and weaker group winners do playoffs.

All top tier and top 2 in each tier 2 group do gold cup

I expect the top division will be a single league - not only because of the disparity between 1st and 10th, but also because it would permit the desired Mexico-US match twice a cycle.

They could theoretically keep a hex setup and have it work moderately well.

Div 1 - 1 league of 6 teams.  Bottom two get relegated.

Div 2 - 2 leagues of 6 teams.  Top team from each gets promoted, bottom two teams from each get relegated.

Div 3 - 4 leagues of 6 teams.  Top team from each gets promoted.

If I've done the math right, this permits 42 teams, which gives some slight room for expansion once we get our next political reorganisation in the Caribbean.

42 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I expect the top division will be a single league - not only because of the disparity between 1st and 10th, but also because it would permit the desired Mexico-US match twice a cycle.

They could theoretically keep a hex setup and have it work moderately well.

Div 1 - 1 league of 6 teams.  Bottom two get relegated.

Div 2 - 2 leagues of 6 teams.  Top team from each gets promoted, bottom two teams from each get relegated.

Div 3 - 4 leagues of 6 teams.  Top team from each gets promoted.

If I've done the math right, this permits 42 teams, which gives some slight room for expansion once we get our next political reorganisation in the Caribbean.

I think it's possible for sure but picture something larger at the top.

CONCACAF released a FAQ with some other tidbits.  

To seed Member Associations into their respective leagues, the League of Nations will begin with a preliminary series of matches played across four different dates beginning in September 2018.

The League of Nations will consolidate the qualification process for international tournaments such as the Gold Cup, while also informing a CONCACAF ranking system that will be used as the basis for future World Cup Qualifying seeding.

http://www.concacaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/CONCACAF-LEAGUE-OF-NATIONS-FAQ-ENG.pdf

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Man are the Mexican soccer forums flipping their shit over this. The top posts on Reddit and BigSoccer are both pleas for the FMF to leave CONCACAF.

Interesting seeing the reactions. 

As for the Americans, if anyone had any hope that the results of last month may have resulted in some humility, their reaction to this clearly indicates that is not the case.

12 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

As for the Americans, if anyone had any hope that the results of last month may have resulted in some humility, their reaction to this clearly indicates that is not the case.

I have seen posts where some Americans say they do not want to be stuck playing lesser teams like Honduras and Panama.

12 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Man are the Mexican soccer forums flipping their shit over this. The top posts on Reddit and BigSoccer are both pleas for the FMF to leave CONCACAF.

10 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Interesting indeed.

Does CONCACAF need the Mexican and U.S. broadcasters to buy into the League of Nations (I'm coining the abbreviation LoN  now :) ) to make it financially viable (especially for the 2nd and 3rd tiers)?

One side effect of this is that players will be expected to be away from their club teams more often on international duty.

How many games per year can each country expect to play in the League Of Nations?

I also wonder if things get complicated by the fact that the Canada/US national leagues are on a different schedule than those of the rest of the CONCACAF nations.

7 minutes ago, spinrack said:

One side effect of this is that players will be expected to be away from their club teams more often on international duty.

How many games per year can each country expect to play in the League Of Nations?

I also wonder if things get complicated by the fact that the Canada/US national leagues are on a different schedule than those of the rest of the CONCACAF nations.

If the idea is to fill most of the international dates with LoN matches, I think it will force Canada to build squad depth, especially in North America.  Not sure we can or should depend on a Hoilett or Arfield to play every match.  Some squad rotation is likely necessary if we want the best out of the players and for them to retain their starting spots with their clubs.