CONCACAF Nations League

30 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

No. But that is up to FIFA, who want teams from all across the globe represented at the World Cup. A policy which I agree with.

But this is no reason that the two American confederations could not have an American tournament once every 4 years. I think all fans of all teams would enjoy it.

You made the point that Concacaf ditch the gold cup altogether. If you are implying South Americans want their tournament to be held in the states every cycle (most of which can’t afford to treacel out of South America) and having our shite teams dilute the quality of it you are wrong

11 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Yup, that is pretty close to the rumoured 2020 tournament with the exception of the Gold Cup being reduced to a quadrennial event rather than being entirely scrapped.

Not even close at all. Huge difference between scrapping the tournament altogether and reducing how often it occurs. The latter I am all for

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

It would be 16 teams. The Copa America in its current form is sometimes 16 teams. So the quality would not be diluted.

It would not be played in the US every time. Countries would bid to host it, just like the Euros. Personally, I am a bit of a fan of co-hosting. I'll save the reasons for another day.

Edit: The downside is that there would not be any official CONCACAF championship. But that is where the CONCACAF Nations League comes in!!

The only time the Copa America had 16 teams was for the Centenario. And the Concacaf league is not mean’t to be a replacement for a major tournament. Just like for Uefa, the nations league is far below in importance compared to the Euros.

I am all for having more Copa Centenarios but not at the expense of erasing our own cup competiton. I would like to make the Gold Cup worth more importance by hosting only every 4 years though

It's going down well in the Caribbean.

Newly elected president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Mike Ricketts was quick on the draw when he gave the new tournament the proverbial thumbs up.

“I believe it will serve the CONCACAF nations well. What is clear is that it will keep the countries active and this will be an opportunity to market your football product, and you could now seek to partner with sponsors in a formal competition.

“It seems to me that these games will be played mainly during the FIFA window, but teams could always play friendlies outside of the window. But overall, this competition will serve us well and smaller nations will now be exposed to playing against bigger nations within CONCACAF,” he said.

More than any category of nations within the confederation, the competition-starved tiny island nations of the Caribbean seem set to be the biggest winners.

Grenada football boss Cheney Joseph welcomed the new developments with open arms.

“The idea of the CONCACAF Nation's Cup, in my opinion, is a positive step for the game, as it now allows smaller nations to dream big and to work towards those dreams.

“I think it is the right way to go, but we must look and see whether or not there are areas to improve on... I am very supportive of the idea and we can now look forward to something big in the future.

“I am also hoping that CONCACAF and FIFA will lend their resources to some of us to develop coaches and players in our region, and so hopefully the future of this tournament in another four years should be good,” he said from his homeland yesterday.

President of the US Virgin Islands Soccer Federation Hillaren Frederick is already salivating at the prospects way before a ball is even kicked.

“The new CONCACAF Nations League is pretty interesting and it's something everyone is looking forward to. The thinking and feeling from FIFA is that they want to make sure that friendly matches are more meaningful and they want to cut back on the number of friendlies.

“CONCACAF has a feeling that all countries need to be playing more matches, so this new competition is going to help a lot of Caribbean countries — moreso the smaller countries like mine who don't play a lot of international matches due to financing and stuff like that,” he told the Jamaica Observer on Sunday.

The tournament, which will be played during the official FIFA calendar window and will serve as a qualifier to the Gold Cup, will be financed in the main by CONCACAF.

“It will all be financed through CONCACAF, where they will give you an initial deposit to take care of each home game and they will give you the go-ahead to talk to your local sponsors so they could sponsor you. All in all, it's a very good tournament,” expressed Frederick.

CONCACAF boss, the Canadian Victor Montagliani, told the Observer by telephone that the finer details of the competition will be announced at a grand launch planned for February next, in either the US metropolis of Miami or New York.

“Everything is pretty much done, but we will making a big announcement with format and all that, as some things are better left for a surprise,” he noted.

The businessman Montagliani revealed that the scheduling of the tournament will limit, but will not prevent member associations from scheduling friendly internationals with opponents from outside the confederations.

“The format will allow for other friendlies to be played as well so there will be a good balance in the schedule, but we have to keep in mind that friendly dates will not be as available because of the UEFA Nations League as they will be limited for everybody, but there will still be opportunities for friendlies,” he said.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/concacaf-8217-s-8216-league-of-nations-8217-scores-big-with-caribbean-stakeholders_117549?profile=1511

Narrow minded? Bit ironic isn’t it. You are looking at it in the best interest in Concacaf and not Comnebol. A majority of there fans don’t care for us and don’t want the tournament at all 

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

Narrow minded? Bit ironic isn’t it. You are looking at it in the best interest in Concacaf and not Comnebol. A majority of there fans don’t care for us and don’t want the tournament at all 

But the fans have little to no say. It's up to the suits and where they can make more money (Mexico in Libertadores?).

46 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

But the fans have little to no say. It's up to the suits and where they can make more money (Mexico in Libertadores?).

I’m saying what should be done, not what will be done

10 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Isn't that dead? 

Due to scheduling conflicts from the tournament running longer.

http://www.espnfc.com/copa-libertadores/story/2998666/liga-mx-officially-opts-out-of-2017-copa-libertadores

Point is it was an economic benefit to CONMEBOL with added TV revenue from the Mexican and American markets. Anything that increases the $$$ will be considered regardless of what fans think.

On November 18, 2017 at 3:00 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Wade added: “There will be a tournament in 2018 that will help to determine where you sit in the league initially. The tournament will be in the three [international] windows in September, October and November, and that will help to determine where you get placed in the league.

“At one point we were discussing just using the Fifa rankings, but the technical team thought it would be better for teams to play for positions in the league in the initial set-up.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/article/20171118/wade-nations-league-is-great-for-bermuda

A pre-tournament to determine in which league every country  has to play sounds fair and good to me. My question is what format will have this tournament in the three international windows in Sept, Oct and Nov to draw all of the 41 nations. 

7 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

A pre-tournament to determine in which league every country  has to play sounds fair and good to me. My question is what format will have this tournament in the three international windows in Sept, Oct and Nov to draw all of the 41 nations. 

the 35 fifa members form 5 groups of 7 and everyone plays 6 games non-FIFA teams to the same

7 minutes ago, matty said:

the 35 fifa members form 5 groups of 7 and everyone plays 6 games non-FIFA teams to the same

I imagine half the point of the seeding tournament is to seed to non-FIFA teams in with the FIFA teams because there's no other way to split all 41 up fairly. But yeah, I imagine whatever they do it'll just be a single group stage.

That said, I'll note that assuming Guatemala remain banned, if CONCACAF were to split the LoN divisions up 20-10-10 they could just do 10 groups of 4 with a double round-robin and no playoffs required, which would be incredibly elegant, although I doubt it would happen due to the number of lopsided matches involved.

Although like I said before, I reckon that some smaller nations might not bother with the seeding tournament and will go straight to D3 instead, so we could be dealing with fewer than 40 teams.

I'm wondering how a new WCQ format will fit into this.  The first round of 2018 WCQ started in March of 2015 and our first game was in June 2015.  Clearly 2022 WCQ would have to start much later if the Nations League is going to spend the fall of 2018 just figuring out seeding before starting the actual competition.  Then how long does it last?  Will it happen every year? or two? or four???   The lack of details is annoying.  

5 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

And to seed the teams in the pre-tournament I don't see another way that FIFA ranking or maybe by using  the results of the last qualifiers. ( both ways no good enough for the non-FIFA members )

They should just use the rankings and throw the non-FIFA teams into the bottom tier for the time being.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:03 PM, dsqpr said:

Yes, and it was obviously a success as the next one will also apparently have 16 teams!

It is "meant" to provide more competitive matches for CONCACAF teams. There is no reason it could not be the CONCACAF championship, in the event the Gold Cup were discontinued.

I'm sure you are not alone in wanting to continue the Gold Cup. I just think a Pan American tournament with qualifying would be bigger and better and unfortunately I don't see room for both. Not to worry though, politics and narrow minded self interest will ensure it never happens!

But lets be real about the Gold Cup for a moment. It is really nothing more than a CONCACAF fundraiser. Its billing as the CONCACAF Championship is a bit of a joke, given that the same team gets home advantage every time, not to mention the erratic occurrences and the weakened teams during the business end of WCQ.

The same two teams get home advantage every time. Mexico benefits as much if not more than the US does from the current setup.

10 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Some of your comments really do seem to lack any kind of perception or thought.

Please do not put words into my mouth. I am most certainly not looking at this from a strictly CONCACAF viewpoint. I think that more competition is good. More competitive matches helps to...I just can't be bothered to spell it out. CONMEBOL would gain two strong teams in the tournament (Mexico and US) and a half dozen or so who can compete with the weaker CONMEBOL teams. And the added competition from a qualifying competition would benefit all teams.

The narrow minded self interest part is that the weaker CONMEBOL countries will not want to risk their guaranteed place in the finals. Completely ignoring the benefits that would come from more competition.

I’m sorry the “weaker” teams? Any team from Comnebol could make it into the Hex. 

Like I said previously if Concacaf wants into their competition because our competition is too shite , Comnebol should get a shot at our WCQs spots. Or will Concacaf not want to risk their guaranteed spots (which they will most definetly lose a majority of them)?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I’m sorry the “weaker” teams? Any team from Comnebol could make it into the Hex. 

Like I said previously if Concacaf wants into their competition because our competition is too shite , Comnebol should get a shot at our WCQs spots. Or will Concacaf not want to risk their guaranteed spots (which they will most definetly lose a majority of them)?

Just curious is the pan American copa America official or it is seen as a friendly cup?

5 hours ago, matty said:

Just curious is the pan American copa America official or it is seen as a friendly cup?

It still counted as a Copa America win when Chile won it. So it was official.

Edited by Guest

52 minutes ago, canta15 said:

It still counted as a Copa America win when Chile won it. So it was official.

I know that part but in regards to fifa points and what not did it? That part was never clear to me and the win wasn't counted as part of Chile's 2017 Confederations Cup qualification at all.

Edited by matty