CONCACAF Nations League

10 hours ago, matty said:

Side note: does anyone think this could be very good for the women's side of CONCACAF? If the goal of this is partly to get the smaller nations playing more then you'd think they'd put it into effect for the women's side. All but 12 of CONCACAF's women's teams haven't played in over a year and a half.

From the Bermuda article that you linked to. "The League of Nations has been met with an overwhelmingly positive response from the member associations, Montagliani said, although the financial aspect of the idea is still to be finalised."

I would have to assume the financial aspect that they need to finalise is getting a plan that enables the poorer countries to be able to afford the extra games. Some sort of revenue sharing model no doubt. On the women's side I think it would be very useful for them to get more games, but there are even more have nots on the women's side, as evidenced by your mention of most countries not having played a game for more than 18 months.

And of course, despite how upset people are with respect to the USMNT, it would be even more so for the USWNT, since they make a larger portion of the money in CONCACAF on the women's side than the USMNT do on the men's side, and also they don't have to worry about a UEFA nations league stealing their ability to get high profile friendlies (at least I don't think UEFA is doing this on the women's side).

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I would have to assume the financial aspect that they need to finalise is getting a plan that enables the poorer countries to be able to afford the extra games. Some sort of revenue sharing model no doubt. On the women's side I think it would be very useful for them to get more games, but there are even more have nots on the women's side, as evidenced by your mention of most countries not having played a game for more than 18 months.

A lot of the the issues the smaller FAs have are not related to money but resources that are out of their control (eg hotels). I spoke with of the Caribbean FAs about why they can't get friends and the number one reason they said was their inability to book hotelrooms for visiting teams (which they are required to do) because of the tourism industry. They have enough sponsorship money to pay for things done regionally but just can't book anything unless they have enough notice.

Another issue was fields. Many have only 1 stadium that meets FIFA regulations and they use it for everything (soccer, rugby, cricket). Hosting a game shuts down everything they do for like two weeks.

I do agree some nations can't afford games and need money sharing from CONCACAF. Post-FIFA scandal these nations have seen money drop from like $130k to around $75k in broadcasting rights (something they don't make in non-Gold Cup years).

That all said, I do know some Caribbean nations want they're women's sides more active simply because they're better and might actually be able to make a big tourney.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

And of course, despite how upset people are with respect to the USMNT, it would be even more so for the USWNT, since they make a larger portion of the money in CONCACAF on the women's side than the USMNT do on the men's side, and also they don't have to worry about a UEFA nations league stealing their ability to get high profile friendlies (at least I don't think UEFA is doing this on the women's side).

I agree fully here. The only way a Nations League benefits them is if it's like a round robin tourney with Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica that can be played whenever they can't book Germany, Japan or Brazil.

Edited by matty

On 5/2/2017 at 9:20 PM, matty said:

Shameless self promotion http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/the-nations-league-is-good-for-everyone/

More opinion than news but here are some quick points that reinforce what factors Vic has implied

-Will be totally tiered (US media shut up)
-The plan is to start in 2018

But but but Taylor "chips on both shoulders" Twellman said the US will be playing Montserrat...

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

But but but Taylor "chips on both shoulders" Twellman said the US will be playing Montserrat...

I now want a Twitter war between Twellman and Guishard.

"THE US IS GOING TO HAVE TO PLAY MONTSERRET!"

"NO WE'RE PLAYING MONTSERRET!"

Seriously though, Mr. Guishard seems pretty chill.

The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) confirmed today details of the XXIV CONCACAF Extraordinary Congress, to be held in Manama, Bahrain, on Wednesday, May 10, 2017. 

The Congress will commence at 10:00 am at the InterContinental Regency Hotel in Manama, with the participation of CONCACAF's Member Associations.

CONCACAF President and FIFA Vice President Victor Montagliani will preside over the Congress, alongside members of the CONCACAF Council and General Secretary Philippe Moggio. FIFA President Gianni Infantino and General Secretary Fatma Samoura will be in attendance. 

Following the Congress, CONCACAF will hold a media conference featuring President Montagliani, with the presence of other Confederation invitees.

The agenda has not been published but presumably it'll be mentioned.

I don't think there's any new  information today. This is the PR release from today's meeting.

MANAMA, Bahrain (Wednesday, May 10, 2017) -- The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) today held its XXIV Extraordinary Congress at the InterContinental Hotel in Manama, Bahrain, where Member Association representatives approved the Confederation’s 2016 audited financial statements.

CONCACAF President and FIFA Vice President Victor Montagliani presided over the Congress, alongside members of the CONCACAF Council and General Secretary Philippe Moggio. FIFA President Gianni Infantino, General Secretary Fatma Samoura, AFC General Secretary, Dato’ Windsor John, and Bahrain Football Association President, His Excellency, Shaikh Ali bin Khalifa Al Khalifa were in attendance.

“Our Confederation remains focused on good governance and sustained growth, as we continue to work collaboratively with Member Associations and stakeholders to achieve our ONE CONCACAF Vision,” said CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani. “We have a strong foundation for creating greater opportunities to make football better and prosperous.”

Following the Congress, CONCACAF hosted a press conference in which President Montagliani expressed support for the 2026 World Cup co-hosting bid on the part of CONCACAF Member Associations Canada, Mexico and the United States.

“CONCACAF is actively supporting Canada, Mexico and the United States in this ambitious bid to bring the FIFA World Cup back to the CONCACAF region,” said Montagliani. “With their pooled resources and experience hosting World Cups at all levels, these three countries are uniquely qualified to host the first 48-team World Cup in 2026.” 

In addition to the sporting benefits of organizing the 2026 FIFA World Cup, President Montagliani has committed CONCACAF to extending the potential of hosting a FIFA World Cup into promotion of development throughout the region.

From what I can find most of the press conference was about FIFA's decision to remove independent judges, not about competition related matters.

Why would CONCACAF have its meeting in Bahrain?

And what's this about removing independent judges? I don't really know anything about their existence, what did they do and why are they being removed?

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

Why would CONCACAF have its meeting in Bahrain?

And what's this about removing independent judges? I don't really know anything about their existence, what did they do and why are they being removed?

I think this meeting took place during larger FIFA meetings.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think this meeting took place during larger FIFA meetings.

Yeah, I just stumbled across this "The FIFA Council on Tuesday put forth the following proposal to be voted on by the 67th FIFA Congress on Thursday in the city of Manama, Bahrain:". Makes sense now.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/CONCACAF-Secretary-General-Gold-Cup-Champions-League-2026.html

On whether CONCACAF is considering creating a League of Nations tournament for its national teams similar to the one UEFA is creating in Europe to replace friendlies and some tournament qualifiers:

[Note: It is under consideration, though Moggio didn't acknowledge it directly. CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani spoke publicly about the idea last month, when it was an agenda topic at the CONCACAF Congress.]

We've been very focused on reviewing all our competitions, to ensure that what we're doing on a day-to-day basis in executing these competitions, we're getting the most out of them that's possible. Hence the new format of the Champions League; ensuring that we're properly executing at the Gold Cup; and determining success at that competition.

But that also includes reviewing how our World Cup qualifying structure is today. I think if we were to look at it, when we think about what we want to achieve from it, it's broader participation. We would want to think about a system that allows more teams to compete during an entire four-year cycle, rather than playing one or two games and being out.

I think that's going to help the overall development [of the region]. But it's still in the very early stages for us to determine if a change in format can be implemented.

We've looked at what UEFA has done, and certainly that has evolved in a very interesting way. I think national team competition is really important in our confederation, and I think if we're to think about what the landscape should look like, I think that's an example that could be followed.

Obviously, we have very different dynamics in place, so it's hard to say whether we can implement a change like that. But again, we're looking at all our competitions and how we can enhance them.

• 3 months later...

CONCACAF General Secretary Philippe Moggio spoke about this at the SoccerEx convention.

Moggio also revealed that the organisation is looking into overhauling its World Cup qualification system, which at the moment sees “too many teams sitting idle for two years” due to the process of eliminating smaller nations earlier on before going to a final six format. Concacaf has also looked at the Uefa Nations League - a competitive year-long tournament which will replace international friendlies from 2018 onwards - as a model of ensuring more regular top-level fixtures for all member nations. 

“Many of our members don't even play friendlies because they don't have the resources, and friendlies don't generate the revenue,” he explained. “So we need to look at ways to involve teams in competition. We’ve had a look at what Uefa has done, and we’ll see if we can make that work for our members.“

https://www.soccerex.com/insight/articles/2017/soccerex-global-convention-2017-notes-from-day-two

Edited by Lou

I really hope these changes can happen in time for the next qualifying cycle. It would probably be tough to implement the nations league if the same old qualifying stays in place. With a year and a half of 6 teams (and only 6 teams) playing qualifiers, does the nations league stop during that time? It would be too messy I think. Best to reform everything at once.

Just found this thread for the first time, great read. I'd heard about it when it was first being discussed by Uncle Vic, but I was never sure what the format was going to be, so I just had a really vague concept in my head, and then forgot about it for months.

Was getting ready for the Jamaica friendly when I thought to myself, man, I just can't get that excited about a friendly. Finally dawned on my head after 6 months that I could just go on Wikipedia and look up what Europe is planning for their version of this league for 2018.

I'm going to assume that everybody in this thread has already read the wiki on the UEFA Nations League or is well familiar with it, but I'll quickly point out that I've been discussing this idea on Twitter and on Whatsapp quite a bit over the international break, and I don't think any of the about 10 friends I spoke to had any idea about what either the UEFA or the CONC version would look like, or even any idea about either one of the two leagues, whether they are pretty Euro-centric or Voyageur-type fans.

I think the CONC Nations League is going to be pretty damn important for CanMNT over the medium term, right behind CPL, and I say it's definitely good to get the word out whenever discussing CanMNT. The fact that we're going to be playing a bunch of friendlies until either the 2019 GC or this Nations League thing kicks off is kinda painful. I've brought it to the attention of the guys at Waking the Red as well, I don't think the person that responded had much idea about the UEFA Nations League until I brought it up to him.

Hope to see more news from Uncle Vic and co about this league pretty soon.

https://www.wakingthered.com/2017/9/6/16258314/mailbag-canada-men-national-team-concacaf-nations-league-toronto-fc

And in terms of reform for the WCQ process for CONCACAF, I think UEFA has got it spot on once their Nations League has kicked off. The Nations League is in place for the September to November period right after either a World Cup or the Euros, and then the rest of the 2-year period is covered by either the WCQs or the Euro qualifiers.

All the differences that may exist between CONC and UEFA, that basic model that UEFA's got has to be something CONC should emulate. The only major difference would be that CONC obviously wouldn't have the single-tiered "put everybody into groups and go all the way over 2 years" WCQ/Euro qualifier format that UEFA has. Other than making sure CONC has 2 or 3 rounds of qualifying, the confederation should look to emulate UEFA's format as much as possible.

And for me, that would definitely entail expanding the Hex from 6 teams. If they like the US-Mexico games that much, then expand the Hex from 6 to 10 teams like how CONMEBOL does it. Figure something out.

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

How about making the Nations League and the WCQ the same thing?

3 tiers play every year with pro/rel. The year before the World Cup, the teams that lead in points for the top tier go to the World Cup

That's radical to a new level, even UEFA isn't doing that. We do know they're letting in 4 teams into the Euros through their Nations League, correct?

Who knows what CONC is thinking? There's a million different ways to do this. It's worth a thought for sure.

17 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

That's radical to a new level, even UEFA isn't doing that. We do know they're letting in 4 teams into the Euros through their Nations League, correct?

Who knows what CONC is thinking? There's a million different ways to do this. It's worth a thought for sure.

correct