CONCACAF Nations League

In addition to confirming 2019 Gold Cup expansion to 16 teams, Vic had this to say:

The Canadian also spoke about a new tournament to be launched called the Nations League, but said it is still a work in progress.

"We're looking to establish a league of nations, where we have some consistency for our countries, where they can play on a more consistent basis," Montagliani said.

He added: "A lot of countries struggle getting friendlies, getting competitions. We've got some of our national teams, whether it be in the Caribbean or Central America or even in North America, like with Canada, where rather than playing 40 games in a four-ear period, which is every FIFA date, they play like single digits or 10. You're not gonna grow or develop that way, so this League of Nations concept is for everyone to play on a consistent basis and keep the dream alive to qualify for things like a Gold Cup or obviously a World Cup."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20170318/more-teams-gold-cup-2019

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Reminds me of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Nations_League

More matches would definitely benefit Canada, and you could even merge this with Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifying to make it more meaningful.

I'm worried about the benefit to US & Mexico, since even in a tiered system they won't be regularly playing world-class opponents - it would be nice to merge this idea with South America to bring some high-quality teams in (Brazil, Arg, Colombia), but they've got their own 10-team league going on and I don't see them breaking that.

It would be cool if they could run this league on a two-year cycle, culminating into GC and WC qualification (you'd need to move the GC into even-numbered years opposite the WC).  Have groups of six teams, pro/rel with top/bottom two, home-and-away, giving ten total match dates in five international windows over the course of two years:

Sept 2018
Nov 2018
Mar 2019
June 2019
Sept 2019

Nov 2019 or Mar 2020 for qualification or pro/rel playoffs if needed.  October international date could be used for team-directed friendlies.  Could even stretch this to eight-team groups and squeeze in matches on the October dates, but I think giving the teams some flexibility is a good thing.

If it was six-team tiered groups initially based on FIFA rankings, you'd have:
Group 1 - Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama, Honduras, Haiti
Group 2 - St Kitts, Curacao, Jamaica, Guatemala, T&T, Antigua
Group 3 - El Salvador, Canada, Nicaragua, Suriname, Dominican, Guyana

Great news.  It's too easy for club sides to walk all over us when it comes to call ups.. if we're playing more official matches we'll have less of a problem and when it comes to WCQ we'll have a team that has actually played together.

It's pure BS how we can go sometimes up to a year without seeing a key national team player and then you have the US getting whoever they want at any given time for whatever match.  

The way I read it is this would be an optimal league to get some countries more matches. I don't expect USA or Mexico would be involved. 

It would be great if they had enough nations on board to run a pro rel system every WC cycle. 

9 minutes ago, matty said:

Greenland favour uefa over concacaf i think

Favour yes but UEFA has already told them no, it's in the guide book that a nation must be able support the growth of a natural pitch.

The only tournament they play in nationally, is some weird Island tournament with a bunch of other islands that aren't under some sort of governing body.

Isolated nation, terrible pitch, unique playing conditions, small population, 100% of shotty live stream. Greenland was built for CONCACAF.

I don't think Vic has much power to make that happen.  With the supposed bigger Copa America getting more steam and I'm sure the Mexican FA and USSF will be pushing hard to make this happen, this Nations League seems like a Gold Cup successor. I don't foresee USA, Mexico or Costa Rica wanting in, this just seems like another small tournament to please the Carribbean and get more playing games for them.   If that turns to be true, Canada should join and the top 6 spots would qualify for the Copa America

I've read that this would be more of a Caribbean thing, to appease and detract the possible creation of a Caribbean Confederation.  CONCACAF as we know for years has been full of corruption, and certain monies that should've went to the small island nations so that they could fund programs, friendlies etc went to peoples (Warners) pockets. This is specifically for the Antiguas, Dominican Republics, Bermudas, Saint Lucias, Surinames etc. "who rather than playing 40 games in a four-ear period, which is every FIFA date, they play like single digits or 10.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

I don't think Vic has much power to make that happen.  With the supposed bigger Copa America getting more steam and I'm sure the Mexican FA and USSF will be pushing hard to make this happen, this Nations League seems like a Gold Cup successor. I don't foresee USA, Mexico or Costa Rica wanting in, this just seems like another small tournament to please the Carribbean and get more playing games for them.   If that turns to be true, Canada should join and the top 6 spots would qualify for the Copa America

This is going to replace friendlies which is why the Uefa Narions League was created

3 hours ago, Steedman said:

Favour yes but UEFA has already told them no, it's in the guide book that a nation must be able support the growth of a natural pitch.

The only tournament they play in nationally, is some weird Island tournament with a bunch of other islands that aren't under some sort of governing body.

Isolated nation, terrible pitch, unique playing conditions, small population, 100% of shotty live stream. Greenland was built for CONCACAF.

I fully agree with you they belong here I'm just saying they want uefa and iirc denmark was like "let them join uefa" haven't seen any real support from concacaf

I'm also guessing this league ends up being a national team Intertoto Cup rewarding 2 or 3 teams Gold Cup/Copa Americana spots.

Edited by matty

57 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm also guessing this league ends up being a national team Intertoto Cup rewarding 2 or 3 teams Gold Cup/Copa Americana spots.

Exactly.

This is not for the Jamaicas or Trinidads, but the Nicaraguas, St. Lucia, Monseratt, etc.

If we have to take that massive of a step back to boost our rankings or gain experience. God help us.

8 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Exactly.

This is not for the Jamaicas or Trinidads, but the Nicaraguas, St. Lucia, Monseratt, etc.

If we have to take that massive of a step back to boost our rankings or gain experience. God help us.

We'd basically being doing what the Caribbean nations do to boost their rankings and if it's to enter the Gold Cup we'd be able to cap guys with greater ease. Both are welcome.

Gonna make a guess, this will be a knockout thing played over three windows (Novermber, March and June) in Gold Cup years with 2 Gold Cup spots (for finalists) and a Copa Americana spot up for grabs. Likely becomes Canada, the #6 and #7 Central American nations taking on 5 minnows from CFU in home and away series. Canada plays US Virgin Islands in November and then Barbados in March and then a final against Cuba.

For the Uefa league, they divided the teams into groups of 3 or 4 and are doing a home and away round robin format. They will be played from September 2018 to June 2019. Group stage would be played on double matchdays in September, October, and November. And the knockout stages in early 2019

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Coin Toss said:

Greenland is geographically in North America. No question. Welcome to Concacaf.

Israel played in Oceania

9 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Anything that gets us playing more often is a plus.

And every match doesn't necessarily have to be a senior "A side" event.  Just so long as the parties involved are all on the same page.  Don't get me wrong, I want the points but...

Using a couple of dates in the calendar to give the 2nd team/youth sides (or whatever criteria you fancy) a look-see isn't a terrible thing if the timing is appropriate and both sides are in agreement on expectations of the test. 

No sense running out the under 23s or a NA based selection against Mexico's 1st 11 is there?  And I'm sure Mexico wouldn't want to waste an international date with that either unless it served their purposes also.