CONCACAF Nations League

30 minutes ago, matty said:

I know that part but in regards to fifa points and what not did it? That part was never clear to me and the win wasn't counted as part of Chile's 2017 Confederations Cup qualification at all.

It did not count towards the Confederations Cup because it was decided that the winner of the 2015 edition would represent Comnebol and not the 2016 edition. Similar to how Concacaf used to send every 2nd Gold Cup winner to the Confederations Cup and how the CAF currently sends its participants.

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

It did not count towards the Confederations Cup because it was decided that the winner of the 2015 edition would represent Comnebol and not the 2016 edition. Similar to how Concacaf used to send every 2nd Gold Cup winner to the Confederations Cup and how the CAF currently sends its participants.

Figured that (wasn't sure if there was ever talk of a possible play-off or not, still shocked it was seemingly never mentioned during the cup at all) but still doesn't cover whether games count differently in the pan America cup than in a friendly towards FIFA rankings. Haven't found any article on if it did so was wondering if any FIFA ranking watchers on here knew.

I foresee the top tier for this Nations League being a smaller group with fewer games than Tiers 2 & 3.  I think the quality of competition in this region drops off dramatically after the first group, but additionally I think CONCACAF will give the top teams (specifically Mexico and the US) a few more opportunities to schedule more lucrative friendlies.  

I do think the region is being a bit naive about how much corporate/TV sponsors are going to be willing to pay for this competition though.  CONCACAF can label it as "competitive fixtures" but we'll have to see what people are willing to actually pay for it.  I could see this whole thing being scrapped after a cycle or two.

On 11/22/2017 at 10:27 AM, canta15 said:

I’m sorry the “weaker” teams? Any team from Comnebol could make it into the Hex. 

Like I said previously if Concacaf wants into their competition because our competition is too shite , Comnebol should get a shot at our WCQs spots. Or will Concacaf not want to risk their guaranteed spots (which they will most definetly lose a majority of them)?

There's no chance of Concacaf giving up any of their guaranteed spots (for the exact reason you mention), but I think it's naive not to think that the money of a combined competition would probably lure a number of the Comnebol nations in to a more permanent joint tournament.  My understanding is that the Comnebol nations now treat the Copa as a sort of secondary competition anyway, and the real Comnebol tournament is the World Cup qualifying cycle where all teams play each other.

24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I do think the region is being a bit naive about how much corporate/TV sponsors are going to be willing to pay for this competition though.  CONCACAF can label it as "competitive fixtures" but we'll have to see what people are willing to actually pay for it.  I could see this whole thing being scrapped after a cycle or two.

I imagine they've worked stuff out with key sponsors like ScotiaBank and TV partners like TSN, Fox Sports and TV Azteca but don't see this, especially the lower tiers, being draws on TV or streams outside of their own nations with the exception of the Latin nations in the US and some nations in Canada.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Agreed.  Marketing tiers 2 and 3 may prove a challenge given the abundance of UEFA Nations Cup matches taking place in the same match windows.

Anyway, the League of Nations is coming and serves Canada's immediate needs for increased # of games, official (cap-tying) matches, experience in Central American conditions and developing greater squad depth.  We'll take it for as long as it lasts.

The real Copa is switching to even-numbered years from 2024, I'd like to see a joint Copa become a regular thing in one of the "off" years with no Gold Cup that year.

The 2013 Gold Cup was widely considered a 'B' Gold Cup, there's no need to have two in a four-year cycle - especially when the US is already hosting the joint Copa in the other year.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You would think. CONCACAF have said that LoN will replace WCQ and the Carib Cup because it will occupy all/most FIFA dates. Unles UNCAF run their competition outside of the LoN.

Don’t agree with replacing WCQs. Should be a similar model to Uefas

Have they said it will replace WCQ? I don't remember that but it could be. I'd hope it replaces Gold Cup qualifying, which this announcement seems to support.

I can't wait for this to start, or at least to find out in March what the groups will be.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Have they said it will replace WCQ? I don't remember that but it could be. I'd hope it replaces Gold Cup qualifying, which this announcement seems to support.

I can't wait for this to start, or at least to find out in March what the groups will be.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

It's my understanding from what I've read that LoN replaces gold cup qualifying (which is what the Carib cup is) but not World Cup qualifying. I'm assuming that Uncaf will do away with the copa centroamerica because it is also used for gold cup qualifying. 

I misread this article.

"Additionally, the League of Nations will inform a CONCACAF ranking system that will be used as the basis for future World Cup Qualifying seeding."

Puerto Rico are happy.

http://www.elvocero.com/deportes/loas-al-nuevo-formato-de-clasificaci-n-de-la-concacaf/article_5a177e7e-02aa-11e8-9e68-6fd2abf23431.html

Eric Labrador, Chairman of the Puerto Rico FA:

"What was our main problem? That the team did not play. We were eliminated in the first round en route to the World Cup and did not compete any more. That now is over", 

Carlos Cantaero, coach of the national team:

"The format seems excellent to me. It is a good idea for everyone, It is good for everyone: big and small, It's going to be competing on an ongoing basis. Friendlies are OK, but in football you are to compete for a goal. It seems a brilliant idea"

Also, Guatemala's FA have been told they won't be able to enter if they are still suspended from FIFA on 1 March 2018.

DQzLOe-VAAAYOnU.jpg

DQzLO5sVAAA6gvL.jpg

11 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

They said the format would be finalized in February so we're days away from being days away

If you scroll up there’s a link to the U15 championship in which they tried a similar format, seems like it will be similar.

edit: no that doesn’t seem to be the potential format.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

On 02/02/2018 at 10:35 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

If you scroll up there’s a link to the U15 championship in which they tried a similar format, seems like it will be similar.

edit: no that doesn’t seem to be the potential format.

why not? did i miss something