June 13 vs Curacao in Montreal

matty

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Mexico sends its b squad to the gold cup most of the time. National teams use 50 -70 players a year. They use B teams, maybe they don't  announce them as B teams but really they are.

Teams like Mexico and the US send B squads to the Gold Cup because to give their A teams a rest. Our A team has played 2 games in the last 8 months. We need our A team to get more minutes together, not our B team.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Yeah I'd be surprised. He hasnt look a million dollars for Canada at times but hasn't really had a great chance. He has quality and gets minutes, a few goals and assists for Dallas. He is a good option for the squad no doubt.

Must be more at work there. 

Akindele getting the start for Dallas tonight so I assume that may have had something to do with the decision to release him from the friendly.  I assume he will be on the squad come July.

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Mexico sends its b squad to the gold cup most of the time. National teams use 50 -70 players a year. They use B teams, maybe they don't  announce them as B teams but really they are.

Have you not been paying attention to canada the past 4 years. Literally every friendly we played was our B team because we were too nice to get our players from MLS teams 

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The CSA's finances are public. There's actually a great thread going on this forum about the current numbers. 

The arguement that the CSA is incompetent is tired and should be put to bed. We've made good strides under for president Montagliani and we're in a position to do better but the fact remains that the MNT is barely a viable commercial product. The TV numbers are always very low relative to other sports in this country and we struggle to sell more that 20K in tickets for home matches.

If only it were as simple as going to different companies and asking for sponsorship money!

CSA finances are public but they weren't released by CSA, also board members  salaries are not made public. https://www.biv.com/article/2016/9/womens-world-cup-windfall-revealed-csa-financials/

also if you had good people working on  sponsorship it can be easy.  Specially when you can dangle World Cups that make billions and world-class athletes.

also was it 50k or 56 k at the game when we hosted Brazil in Edmonton? I wonder what the  attendance would  be for the England game or if we host the United States with  Bradley, Altidore and Morrow playing in Toronto ? Or if we hosted Scotland in Nova Scotia ( if they ever get a  stadium) ?

Yes I agree Victor has been wonderful

Also I never said the CSA is  incompetent, I just  Believe they could do more to support our men's national soccer team,  and as a passionate fan who loves Canada Soccer I demand that and you should too. 

I also believe the CSA doesnt equality market the men's teams or players. The little things matter, for example of: do you see the CSA  advertise to buy an Arfield 16 jersey but you can get at 12 Sinclair jersey ? ( maybe that's because of  licensing but I don't know). 

12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I wouldn't be surprised in his and Lefevre's case if their clubs asked for them back if they were not going to play or play very much. The Impact are very thin at the back for tonight's game with Ciman and Oyongo gone. Akindele has been starting about 50% of the Dallas' games this year so if he is just going to be sitting on the bench or playing for 10 minutes at the end it is probably better for everyone if he goes back to his club.

To quote myself, Akindele started today and Lefevre was on the bench for Montreal. At one point Lefevre was shown getting up and starting to change his shirt to sub on and then Biello changed his mind and they subbed someone else on. 

19 hours ago, SpecialK said:

also if you had good people working on  sponsorship it can be easy.  Specially when you can dangle World Cups that make billions 

Also I never said the CSA is  incompetent, I just  Believe they could do more to support our men's national soccer team,  and as a passionate fan who loves Canada Soccer I demand that and you should too. 

I also believe the CSA doesnt equality market the men's teams or players. The little things matter, for example of: do you see the CSA  advertise to buy an Arfield 16 jersey but you can get at 12 Sinclair jersey ? ( maybe that's because of  licensing but I don't know). 

Don't worry you don't need to say it. I will. CSA is incompetent when it comes to promoting itself and the game. Their marketing department for the MNT and VCup are horrible. It got better recently but they still seem to be employing interns or someone that works half days. 

For example, they couldn't get a broadcaster to televise their recent WCQ campaign from the beginning and relied on a unreliable web stream from the center of the universe- the Belize match in Toronto! Thanks again to our friends at Channel 5.

They don't keep up to date with their info on their website. (See below picture) I was curious to know when the final would be between IMFC TFC. So I decided to go on CSAs page. You'd think it would be announced on their main page or articles on the TFC OFC / IMFC VW report but no  so you have to click on the menu tab click on Cdn Championship and click on schedule and that's where I found that (see below). It's still like this as we speak. They also didn't have the 2nd highlights of IMPACT VW on their YouTube channel but were able to load Ottawa TFC 2leg the game happened a day after.

also the fact that a bunch of us had to sift through pictures just to make out who was on this Red team and who on the White again shows the lack of interest. Like for real? Do these people at marketing and promotions enjoy their jobs? I'll do it, I'll update their stats and information and videos!

IMG_5318.PNG

On 6/10/2017 at 11:24 PM, SpecialK said:

CSA finances are public but they weren't released by CSA, also board members  salaries are not made public. https://www.biv.com/article/2016/9/womens-world-cup-windfall-revealed-csa-financials/

also if you had good people working on  sponsorship it can be easy.  Specially when you can dangle World Cups that make billions and world-class athletes.

Um, yes they are released by the CSA, they're on the CSA website. Here you go, 2016 Financial Statements.

also was it 50k or 56 k at the game when we hosted Brazil in Edmonton? I wonder what the  attendance would  be for the England game or if we host the United States with  Bradley, Altidore and Morrow playing in Toronto ? Or if we hosted Scotland in Nova Scotia ( if they ever get a  stadium) ?

That was 23 years ago, check the attendance figures for the last 10 for a more accurate picture of where we're at. Canada hosted the US at BMO in 2012 in front of a whopping 15 247. Report here. Any MNT game that attracts more than 20K should be considered a wild success which in my opinion is realistic and reasonable. 

Of course they don't, the WNT is a proven winner on and off the field, the MNT is not. I'm a realist, I understand where our men's program is and I believe the CSA is doing all that they can. Is there room for improvement sure, but we have to be rational with our expectations. And the reason you can buy a Sinclair jersey on the CSA website is because she's one of the best players of all time and even casual sports fans have heard of her, I highly doubt any casual Canadian sports fan know who Scott Arfield is. 

48 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

That was 23 years ago, check the attendance figures for the last 10 for a more accurate picture of where we're at.

I think the attendance for the Brazil friendly wasn't so much about it being 23 years ago in some magical time when we had better support. We had worse support back then. The reasons why so many came to that game was because it was Brazil, and it was an appetizer right before the World Cup in the USA.

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Can anybody comment on today's press conference / Facebook stream? Anything interesting?

I didn't go because I spoke to Zambrano and Bernier at training (https://juneof86.com/2017/06/12/bernier-ready-to-help-usher-in-new-era/) and didn't see any point. 

I do know that Curaçao closed their training at the last minute. I was going to go watch out of curiosity.

cheers, matthew

On 6/12/2017 at 4:43 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Can anybody comment on today's press conference / Facebook stream? Anything interesting?

Only article I've seen stemming from it is on Sportsnet.ca:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-curacao-friendly-montreal-patrice-bernier-alphonso-davies/

Weird thing is that TSN don't have an article up following the press conference, given that they are the ones broadcasting the match.

Archived