June 13 vs Curacao in Montreal

matty

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, theaub said:

Shows how much I've been paying attention lol

I also wonder how much Crepeau and Jackson-Hamel's appearance on the roster has to do with their club team.

I think Jackson-Hamel is on the squad by merit. Realistically he, Cavallini, Larin, Haber and Ricketts are all in the top 5 in the depth chart right now.

Crepeau is probably 4th on the GK depth chart right now, so the fact that he's in camp isn't a longshot, but I don't think he's called to a full strength roster right now.

Pantemis on the other hand....

Zambrano might be leaving these fringe players on the roster to try them out on the international stage and see how it goes. He obviously has faith in them

Larin missed training this morning (as did Akindele and Lefèvre for obvious reasons), but no one seemed overly concerned about his status for Tuesday. It was just a regeneration sessions, so plenty of ice bags going around....

I spoke to Zambrano about what he took away from the training match and the time with the squad thus far: https://juneof86.com/2017/06/09/zambrano-learning-and-teaching/

cheers,

matthew

3 hours ago, matthew said:

Larin missed training this morning (as did Akindele and Lefèvre for obvious reasons), but no one seemed overly concerned about his status for Tuesday. It was just a regeneration sessions, so plenty of ice bags going around....

I spoke to Zambrano about what he took away from the training match and the time with the squad thus far: https://juneof86.com/2017/06/09/zambrano-learning-and-teaching/

cheers,

matthew

Let's hope he gets to have many more training because of a lot more friendlies in the future. Also hope for CMNT play more home games, but even it out with away games. I'm excited for this game, but we won't see fluid attack just yet I know going to be patient and see how OZ molds the team. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I'm interested to hear about this Cordova kid, he's seemed to come out of nowhere. Does he start at rb ahead of ledgerwood? How good is this kid?

He is our only professional right back so that makes him Canada's best right back

22 minutes ago, canta15 said:

He is our only professional right back so that makes him Canada's best right back

I think you're forgetting a few players in this statement. Kadin Chung, Eddie Edward, or Brad Kamdem ring a bell? They are all professionals playing right back.

Not that I'm arguing that any of them are national team worthy, but this is hyperbole.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm interested to hear about this Cordova kid, he's seemed to come out of nowhere. Does he start at rb ahead of ledgerwood? How good is this kid?

We got a brief look at Cordova at the U23 tournament. He's small, fast and very good offensively. Extremely good foot skills and always looking to attack. I expect Cordova defines the Zambrano approach: create offense and space with fast and aggressive attackers on the outside creating chances for Larin, Cavallini etc in the box.

Big question is how he does on defensive side.

13 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I think you're forgetting a few players in this statement. Kadin Chung, Eddie Edward, or Brad Kamdem ring a bell? They are all professionals playing right back.

Not that I'm arguing that any of them are national team worthy, but this is hyperbole.

i was just having a laugh

41 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Is there any news on why Tesho was cut?

I wouldn't be surprised in his and Lefevre's case if their clubs asked for them back if they were not going to play or play very much. The Impact are very thin at the back for tonight's game with Ciman and Oyongo gone. Akindele has been starting about 50% of the Dallas' games this year so if he is just going to be sitting on the bench or playing for 10 minutes at the end it is probably better for everyone if he goes back to his club.

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Perhaps he just wants a look at other players?  I think this is why Ledgerwood wasn't called, just for OZ to evaluate Cordova.  

Not taking anything away from Nick Ledgerwood, he has served team Canada well, got a huge goal last year. Has played 50 games for Canada. But he's 32 now will be 33 in January and his playing in NASL ( to me becoming a lower end league). Canada has some really good young fullbacks coming up. It's time for them to play and to get ready for 2022 Qatar. Players like Ledgerwood should be leading like a Canadian B team. I do wish Soccer Canada sets up a true B team, every major soccer nation has one. It's so important  for players that are on the fence to be playing international friendlies so they can get exposure for themselves and the nation, to keep depth pool strong, to help keep players in the Canadian system and to help boost our ranking. If we are ever going to get respect of the soccer world Canada needs to play more friendlies and tournaments. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Players like Ledgerwood should be leading like a Canadian B team. I do wish Soccer Canada sets up a true B team, every major soccer nation has one.

Huh? What country still has a B team? Most of the world's major soccer powers (England, Spain, Germany, etc.) stopped using them a decade ago because they waste resources that can be used on the youth teams.

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Not taking anything away from Nick Ledgerwood, he has served team Canada well, got a huge goal last year. Has played 50 games for Canada. But he's 32 now will be 33 in January and his playing in NASL ( to me becoming a lower end league). Canada has some really good young fullbacks coming up. It's time for them to play and to get ready for 2022 Qatar. Players like Ledgerwood should be leading like a Canadian B team. I do wish Soccer Canada sets up a true B team, every major soccer nation has one. It's so important  for players that are on the fence to be playing international friendlies so they can get exposure for themselves and the nation, to keep depth pool strong, to help keep players in the Canadian system and to help boost our ranking. If we are ever going to get respect of the soccer world Canada needs to play more friendlies and tournaments. 

I would be totally against any kind of B team. The CSA has limited options and resources as is, focus on our best MNT player pool and trying to get them more time together and friendlies.

Edit: just to add to your point about Nik (not Nick), he has been a decent RB for us over the years and if he doesn't start for us we have very limited options. With Henry out injured we have Cordova, Dixon, Aird and Attakora who could reasonably slot in without calling it a major experiment. Attakora while decent is more of a CB and Nik would be my choice over him. The rest are young and relatively unproven, all guys with great potential but for big games in the near future Nik would still be my guy. Who knows though, maybe OZ wants to begin the rebuild now.

36 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I would be totally against any kind of B team. The CSA has limited options and resources as is, focus on our best MNT player pool and trying to get them more time together and friendlies.

Edit: just to add to your point about Nik (not Nick), he has been a decent RB for us over the years and if he doesn't start for us we have very limited options. With Henry out injured we have Cordova, Dixon, Aird and Attakora who could reasonably slot in without calling it a major experiment. Attakora while decent is more of a CB and Nik would be my choice over him. The rest are young and relatively unproven, all guys with great potential but for big games in the near future Nik would still be my guy. Who knows though, maybe OZ wants to begin the rebuild now.

I disagree with you with Nik but I understand and respect where your coming from. But the limited resource  argument I fully disagree with and it's a cop out. If the CSA can't get the resources it needs to be  successful , then they should fire the  individuals running sponsorship and finances. Soccer is the biggest and most popular sport in the World. There are tons of companies to ask for sponsorships. CSA also gets money from  Federal government ( yes it maybe not a lot but still ) and the provincial federations federations. As well FIFA gives money to all  federations. CSA also likes to not report about there budgets and  revenue  intakes. CSA as well made money with the Women's World Cup. If Canada made 2018 World Cup , the CSA would get 12 million just to be in it and if it makes around of 16 the CSA would get a extra 12million. If I understand that right. http://www.totalsportek.com/football/fifa-world-cup-2018-prize-money/

So... we got 2022 Qatar and  basically guaranteed 2026 to look forward to.  Most likely those amounts are going to go up just like in every other World Cup.

There is money out there! I wish fans would start to demand more from the CSA and not  give them a cop out or say oh well it's Canada. 

21 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I disagree with you with Nik but I understand and respect where your coming from. But the limited resource  argument I fully disagree with and it's a cop out. If the CSA can't get the resources it needs to be  successful , then they should fire the  individuals running sponsorship and finances. Soccer is the biggest and most popular sport in the World. There are tons of companies to ask for sponsorships. CSA also gets money from  Federal government ( yes it maybe not a lot but still ) and the provincial federations federations. As well FIFA gives money to all  federations. CSA also likes to not report about there budgets and  revenue  intakes. CSA as well made money with the Women's World Cup. If Canada made 2018 World Cup , the CSA would get 12 million just to be in it and if it makes around of 16 the CSA would get a extra 12million. If I understand that right. http://www.totalsportek.com/football/fifa-world-cup-2018-prize-money/

So... we got 2022 Qatar and  basically guaranteed 2026 to look forward to.  Most likely those amounts are going to go up just like in every other World Cup.

There is money out there! I wish fans would start to demand more from the CSA and not  give them a cop out or say oh well it's Canada. 

The CSA's finances are public. There's actually a great thread going on this forum about the current numbers. 

The arguement that the CSA is incompetent is tired and should be put to bed. We've made good strides under for president Montagliani and we're in a position to do better but the fact remains that the MNT is barely a viable commercial product. The TV numbers are always very low relative to other sports in this country and we struggle to sell more that 20K in tickets for home matches.

If only it were as simple as going to different companies and asking for sponsorship money!

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

If not perhaps Zambrano just doesn't rate him. No explanation needed if that's the case.

I'd be surprised if that's what it was though, I'm waiting to hear something on that front...

Yeah I'd be surprised. He hasnt look a million dollars for Canada at times but hasn't really had a great chance. He has quality and gets minutes, a few goals and assists for Dallas. He is a good option for the squad no doubt.

Must be more at work there. 

Archived