June 13 vs Curacao in Montreal

matty

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice!  Good prep for French Guiana 

It would be nice to get another home friendly too to complete the window.  It is a 2 match window after all... maybe the other one at BMO?  

We haven't had back to back home friendlies since 2010 when we faced Peru and Honduras.

47 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Nice!  Good prep for French Guiana 

It would be nice to get another home friendly too to complete the window.  It is a 2 match window after all... maybe the other one at BMO?  

We haven't had back to back home friendlies since 2010 when we faced Peru and Honduras.

I hope they do book a second game but am doubtful. Fingers crossed we bring in the Faroes for the first edition of the Arctic Cup

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

On the bright side there should be very few fans from Curacao, so should be a very Canadian crowd. Hopefully the Impact and CSA do a lot to drum up this contest to get a good crowd out.

This is indeed the perfect opponent for a game in Montreal; the city and Impact fans in general have not shown up to support the #CANMNT in the past. No big Curacao diaspora in North America as far as I know.

Just now, shermanator said:

Call this game "the return of Blue Curacao"

Since at every Canada game we adopt chants from the local supporter's group, we can adapt the "Les Torontois sont des bouffons" chant.

♫Le Curaçao♫
♫Le Curaçao♫
♫Le Curaçao c'est une liqueur! LA-LALA-LA-LA-LA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=744lucpM1UI

@Grizzly @Blackdude what do you guys think?

7 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is one of those games that will be a stick for the haters beat us with.  Curacao's roster is talented but if we lose the headlines will be "haha Canada can't even beat some tiny island with 5 people on it hahahaha". 

Very interested to see what squad Curacao are going to bring. Bet a few Dutch born players of Curacaoan descent would be very keen on committing to Curacao to play in the Gold Cup. They've already had some good players that committed to them for World Cup qualifying but there are more players to be had. Good test this for Canada anyway.

Pros:

1. Their current ranking is inflated "easy" opponent to gain a lot of points.

2. No large away contingent.

3. Quality prep to remind the team French Guiana needs to be taken seriously.

cons: Jonathan de Guzman decides being half Jamaican and playing for the Netherlands means curaçao is a natural fit. So he shows up in our colours, announces his allegiance to curaçao. 

Just now, Obinna said:

Now we need to pencil in another match right before the tourney begins. 

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

Well, the FIFA window is from June 5th to June 13th. The #CANWNT play in Toronto on Sunday June 11th so that's not going to happen at BMO Field!

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Well, the FIFA window is from June 5th to June 13th. The #CANWNT play in Toronto on Sunday June 11th so that's not going to happen at BMO Field!

Would be great if we had 2 in this window at Saputo, but they'd probably announce both at the same time, no?

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yo Hamilton! Wanna host a game? Good way to hype the CPL and Hamilton United

Great news! I'm in Toronto, but I'm glad the game is in Montreal. We really need to spread games around more. Another friendly in this window would be good. Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton... Quebec City? Why not test out the markets we hope to join CPL? The USA uses the Gold Cup for that, why can't we use friendlies for that here?

On 3/11/2017 at 6:26 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Since at every Canada game we adopt chants from the local supporter's group, we can adapt the "Les Torontois sont des bouffons" chant.

♫Le Curaçao♫
♫Le Curaçao♫
♫Le Curaçao c'est une liqueur! LA-LALA-LA-LA-LA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=744lucpM1UI

@Grizzly @Blackdude what do you guys think?

Great song. Too bad you told me what it was based on. I'm hoping to be there. Hoping to sing some songs together. 

23 hours ago, Kent said:

Great news! I'm in Toronto, but I'm glad the game is in Montreal. We really need to spread games around more. Another friendly in this window would be good. Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton... Quebec City? Why not test out the markets we hope to join CPL? The USA uses the Gold Cup for that, why can't we use friendlies for that here?

Don't forget about the west. Edmonton and Winnipeg are good options as well. Hell, if we want to test out CPL cities, get a game in Calgary or Regina. Have any of the national teams ever played there?

Just now, shermanator said:

Don't forget about the west. Edmonton and Winnipeg are good options as well. Hell, if we want to test out CPL cities, get a game in Calgary or Regina. Have any of the national teams ever played there?

It won't be Regina unless they want to spend a lot of money replacing the turf. 

Otoh I hear there's a game coming to new Mosaic ... (remains purposefully cryptic). 

Archived