June 13 vs Curacao in Montreal

matty

Curacao's top 10-15 players are strong, playing in good leagues. Backups are weak, some played in the fourth tier of the netherlands this year, five from the local league and one unattached for a year. A good friendly

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Respectable roster from Curacao. This should an entertaining fixture 

Should be a really good game. It says something about the FIFA Rankings that Curacao is 39 teams above us. That being said this game has potential League of Nations implications, so a win would be sweet. 

13 hours ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Looking at that roster, on paper, it seems like they might be better than us? 

Precisely why the insecure fanboy in me dreads a game like this.  If we lose the reaction from the media and all manner of snobs will be "hahahaha Canada lost to a tiny deserted island!  Look how crap they are." 

24 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Precisely why the insecure fanboy in me dreads a game like this.  If we lose the reaction from the media and all manner of snobs will be "hahahaha Canada lost to a tiny deserted island!  Look how crap they are." 

If we lose to Curacao we deserve all the grief we will get. This team should be held to a higher standard. 

22 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

If we lose to Curacao we deserve all the grief we will get. This team should be held to a higher standard. 

This is precisely what I'm talking about.  The name of the country has certain connotations that bring about preconceived notions about how good they should or shouldn't be.  The fact is this is primarily a squad of Dutchmen who grew up In a footballing superpower with superior coaching and play in respectable leagues but nobody wants to hear that.  It's easier to assume it's just a bunch of part timers from the island hauling dough at Philip's Bakery for a living and embarrassing Canada on their day off.

19 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is precisely what I'm talking about.  The name of the country has certain connotations that bring about preconceived notions about how good they should or shouldn't be.  The fact is this is primarily a squad of Dutchmen who grew up In a footballing superpower and play in respectable leagues but nobody wants to hear that.  It's easier to assume it's just a bunch of part timers from the island hauling dough at Philip's Bakery for a living and embarrassing Canada on their day off.

Outside of a 2015 1-0 home win against an injury devastated T&T side, Curacao has done nothing to warrant the respect you're giving them. Since their rebranding as Curacao in 2011, their second most impressive win is over Haiti. I agree, they are better than you'd think because of their Dutch connections, but this is still a team Canada needs to beat if we want to be considered a top 8 team in CONCACAF.

There is no doubt that they have some top end players like Martina, Bacuna, Van Kessel..., but a lot of the players called play in 2nd or 3rd division Netherlands or even domestically in Curacao. Top to bottom we are better, and we are playing at home. It won't be a walk in the park, but we should win this game.

20 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Surprise!

He's a '97, left-footed AM.

Spent time in Uruguay since 2013 training with Defensor Sporting and then played some first team minutes with Canadian S.C. in the 2nd Division.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/sports/soccer/2013/04/23/young_trio_from_oakville_soccer_club_chasing_pro_dreams_in_uruguay.html

http://canadiansc.com/planteles-de-temporadas-anteriores/plantel-campeonato-especial-2016/volantes/nicolas-galvis/

edit: Born in Colombia, moved here with his family when he was 7.

TFC: Ricketts is hurt so he's not going to Montreal

Us: Ok call Jay Chapman

OZ: Fuck that

Meanwhile.....

Hoilett: Man my birthday here in Grenada is so nice

CSA: Happy Birthday buddy. How you liking Laval?

Archived