Voyageurs' Cup 2017

So I didn't get to watch the first half of the Caps/Impact game, but on the basis of what I have seen so far in the 2nd half, I have no idea how Vancouver was 2-0 up at the half.  Their defence has looked porous since the start of the 2nd when I started watching.  

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So I didn't get to watch the first half of the Caps/Impact game, but on the basis of what I have seen so far in the 2nd half, I have no idea how Vancouver was 2-0 up at the half.  Their defence has looked porous since the start of the 2nd when I started watching.  

Yup, one of those proverbial tales of two halves. Caps were dominant in the 1st half, with Davies looking especially good. Then Biello changed formation and tactics in the second half, and Vancouver's young defense struggled to adapt. I would imagine we will see a less experimental--i.e. inexperienced--squad for the match in Montreal. Should be a good one.

Man I want to see Tabla and Davies play LOTS of games for the MNT. I am confident we'll get one of them, but let's go for both. Imagine those two guys feeding Larin, with Hoilett and Arfield in the mix!

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It's possible. 

On a side note, holy shit I hope we get both Tabla and Davies.  I am not a fan of overhyping young players, but they really do look like they have a high ceiling.  

Them and snag Richey (he's eligible) to deepen our keeper pool. Hell of a game he played. We need outfield players more than keepers but let's get greedy.

13 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Looks like a good crowd actually. Most of the people are on the side the camera is shooting from. Remember it is a 24,000 seat stadium, the Senators are playing a huge game tonight and TFC is fielding basically a 'B' team.

Wait til ya see the empty seats in Vancouver tonight   :P

Pity about the hockey game. Only 7,611 show up. That is twice Ottawa has collected a MLS scalp. Caps vs Impact got 16,831. Not bad for a mid week match.

10 minutes ago, mtlfan said:

Lots of drama as usual for Voyageur Cup games, for me this beats any MLS regular season match. Lots of talking points for the build up to the the second leg. 

I agree, Voyageurs Cup games are always more exciting than MLS.  Not just because for me the Voyageurs Cup is more important because of what it can lead to, but the games themselves always have so much going on.

Not to mention Canadians have the chance to show off their stuff and as they did last night like the performances of Davies, Ballou, Jackson and Black Cat "Chat Noir... Choinière I beg your pardon".  Lol. Aside from that and making other weird comments to Dasovic (probably wondering WTF?) about passing notes to girls and wondering if players will be wired up to talk to each other on the pitch in the future like some sci-fi flick from Starship Troopers I found his description of the match to be pretty decent and well researched. 

17 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

TFC should leave Osorio, Cooper and Endoh in Ottawa. How many dozens of mediocre appearances is Osorio going to get for TFC before he gets moved on? Cooper has been found out and Endoh is not good enough, especially for an older player on an international slot.

Chapman had a really nice cross right onto the head of Hamilton for the chance you mentioned. I think TFC is doing alright with the always-difficult chop-and-change cup lineup. Ottawa's only impressive player going forward has been Onua Obasi.

This is probably Osorio's last season at TFC if Vocal Minority's podcast has the right info. I'm honestly not too surprised though as he's been edged out by new players that fit the role better. Expect to see him take the plunge into CanPL if he doesn't get picked up by another MLS-side.

--

I watched both matches, and these were very different games. I enjoyed both, but had very different expectations. I think one of the most important points feelings for me, was that with every team more-or-less playing their reserve sides (except Ottawa), this is more-or-less the kind of level of play we can look forward to in the CanPL after a year or two of settling in. Honestly, I'm good with starting out around this level, and look forward to more of it.

For the Ottawa/TFC match:

• Little disappointed on attendance, but being up against Game 6 Senators vs Pittsburgh NHL, I'm not surprised
  • Ottawa played it as heavy as they could. No real standout players or plays, although I will tip my hat to both Irving and Edward as they performed decently.
  • As per usual, the MLS-side played light against the 2nd-division, and once again paid the price
  • With many of the players for TFC either returning from injury or having sat on the bench, I wasn't too disappointed with the play, but it certainly wasn't up to the team's usual standard. Would have liked to see Camargo take the field at some point, but I'm not surprised he didn't field. Chapman looked alright on the field. Edwards did not look his usual confident self though.

For Vancouver/Montreal:

• Definitely a tale of 2-halves. Vancouver was looking solid up until the 1' of injury time at the end of the 1st. That was where I felt Montreal actually started trying to play.
  • I wish Davies were Canadian. He would be great on the national team and we need to get that locked down sooner rather than later. Beyond the goal, Davies contributed greatly in this match, and he's definitely got room to grow.
  • For Vancouver, Bustos was a pretty good sub giving them a bit of energy toward the end and almost making up for a pretty sad 2nd half.  I was pretty disappointed with Tiebert & McKendry. De Jong, although not up to his normally expected level, was about the level I expected to see during this match.
  • From Montreal, I like all 3 starters (Crépeau, Tabla, Choinière), although I don't think Crépeau is quite where he needs to be yet. Although I normally enjoy Bernier & Jackson-Hamel, neither really seemed to do much, and I really didn't notice Lefèvre when he came on. I did get busy mid-way through the 2nd half prepping my 15-month old for bath & bed, so I may have missed a bit. I was disappointed we didn't get to see Shome. Hopefully he'll feature in the 2nd leg.

I can hardly wait for the 2nd leg, or for next year when L1O & PLSQ have a couple sides competing. Should be fun.

I think some people are underestimating Osorio's role with TFC. He had played in every game this season up until May 13th and since then there has been talk of heart issues. Previous to that he took part in every regular season MLS game since July 23, 2016. That is a good run!

20 hours ago, shermanator said:

Howler of a second half by TFC. Chapman was downright terrible. Looked like Osorio was playing defensive mid after Cheyrou went off injured. Ricketts finishing was poor. Edwards' second yellow was for what, exactly? 

Don't think Ottawa played very well at all tonight. Got lucky with a handball and a gift from Chapman and the backline.

Slamming the ball down in front of the ref. Pretty simple decision in my opinion.

Impact - Caps just shows how important it is to keep your defensive shape and know how to control a game you are leading. We were very sloppy at the back. For eg. probably Parker's worst game in a long time. 

In general, Caps never are ready for coverage defensively, they are always backtracking late and on the wrong side of the ball. 

That ref: if the 2nd was a penalty, then the challenge on Mesquida early was a clear foul. You got the sense he just wanted to solve it for Impact asap and make his night easier. Thing is, with such a spineless ref, you have to get in the box because he'll give you one back just for guilt if you give him a chance.

Seeing American scrub trying to half-ass play the V-cup is such a slap in the face for any Canadian fan, it is an insult to the cup we founded.

Congrats to Montreal for advancing.

The ref was adequate and neither he nor the side judge called Richey on the handling the ball outside the box (it sure looked out to me).

I thought Nerwinski was very good. Greig? Not so good. Problem is we have no Canadian striker in our system to play. 13 goals in USL got him this chance but he didn't look good his goal aside.

Can Vancouver try Bustos next time instead of 95 year old Mauro Rosales? He looked painfully slow and a step behind the play for everything. Also whoever was playing alongside Parker at the back for Vancouver wasn't very good.

Crepeau got caught in no man's land a bit on the 2nd goal but that's why he needs to play way more games - that's the sort of thing which should be learned with experience.

AJH is looking very promising at the moment, strange that going into the Gold Cup our striker position seems to have a ton more depth than at the back

56 minutes ago, TRM said:

I thought Nerwinski was very good. Greig? Not so good. Problem is we have no Canadian striker in our system to play. 13 goals in USL got him this chance but he didn't look good his goal aside.

Good going forward. Poor defensively.

39 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Can Vancouver try Bustos next time instead of 95 year old Mauro Rosales? He looked painfully slow and a step behind the play for everything. Also whoever was playing alongside Parker at the back for Vancouver wasn't very good.

Cole Seiler. He is not MLS quality.

I was watching the game off and on and didn't have my phone on me so i was struggling to figure out who the third Canadian starter was for Vancouver. It wasn't until the 65th minute that i noticed Ben McKendry. Maybe i missed a bunch of plays he was involved in, but the guy seemed totally invisible.

On 5/23/2017 at 9:37 PM, gator said:

I must say that none of the Toronto FC Canadians did themselves any favours as for pushing for more playing time, very disappointing!

I prefer to think of this as an effect TFC suffered for not giving them playing time earlier.

On an unrelated note, what the heck was with Montreal's attendance? It didn't look much better then Ottawa's on television.

33 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I prefer to think of this as an effect TFC suffered for not giving them playing time earlier.

On an unrelated note, what the heck was with Montreal's attendance? It didn't look much better then Ottawa's on television.

I agree for Chapman and Hamilton for sure and Morgan has been out a long time, Edwards has played quite a bit and Osorio and Ricketts have subbed in to many matches albeit quite late on most of the time, hopefully they get a chance tonight and play well in front of the home fans! I think the attendance was announced at around 15K!

19 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Can Vancouver try Bustos next time instead of 95 year old Mauro Rosales? He looked painfully slow and a step behind the play for everything.

Funny, I only saw the last few minutes after Bustos came on and I thought he looked a step off the pace defensively.

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

We will see how the evening progresses but I'm one of about six people sitting in the stands right now BMO. Granted, 7pm starts usually guarantee  that half the crowd won't show up by the time the game starts because of how brutal traffic is in Toronto, but I think we are in for a low attendance night here even by CCL standards

30 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We will see how the evening progresses but I'm one of about six people sitting in the stands right now BMO. Granted, 7pm starts usually guarantee  that half the crowd won't show up by the time the game starts because of how brutal traffic is in Toronto, but I think we are in for a low attendance night here even by CCL standards

Interesting.  It would be a shame if TFC didn't get a solid turn out for the 2nd leg of the CCL semis. I ould hope that both the team, and it's fans, would take this tournament seriously.  

I get that everyone is at their own level of support, but am I the only one that finds "traffic" a poor excuse for showing up late? I mean, I get it. I went to the game tonight with someone who was late, and I don't hold any ill will towards him. I am happy he came out tonight. He is a general sports fan, not really a soccer fan, though he has been to a handful of TFC games. But I think if we were going to a Leafs game he would have left home or work earlier. I think the lack of urgency to get to games on time is an accurate reflection of the popularity of the games. You can point to average attendances all you like, but we all know that if hockey and basketball could be decently viewed by 30k at the same time, the Leafs and Raptors would outdraw TFC.

Archived