Voyageurs' Cup 2017

So, right now according to Jérémy Filosa. 

It's possible that Toronto plays Ottawa/Edmonton on the Wednesday just after. I wouldn't put it past that if they can get a TV deal having the possibility to watch both games. So Ottawa Edmonton has to be before that. Haven't checked both teams' schedule to see if they are playing midweek games before then.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one point on twitter, right after the USL schedule was released, the Fury posted all their home games and that they were hosting Edmonton on May 3rd. Later they removed the graphic. I think the Fury will host first and Edmonton will get the second leg since Edmonton did better in NASL last year.

May 3rd & May 10th is my guess for  those games.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case people want the link to the dates: http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-championship-kicks-off-10th-edition-in-may-with-more-canadian-content-p160637

Also, of note, teams MUST start 3 Canadians in each game in the competition.

New to the Canadian Championship in 2017, Canada Soccer has added a Canadian Content rule ensuring that at least three Canadians are included on every starting lineup throughout the competition.

In 2017, to be eligible as a Canadian on the starting line-up, a player must be a Canadian Citizen and/or hold a Canadian passport and, not played for, or represented, by virtue of dual citizenship or parental lineage, any other Member Association National soccer team, at any level, unless a change of Association, in accordance with FIFA Statutes, to Canada Soccer has been granted. 

Just now, shermanator said:

Just in case people want the link to the dates: http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-championship-kicks-off-10th-edition-in-may-with-more-canadian-content-p160637

YES, finally!  I've been calling for it for years.  If MLS/Canadian clubs want to be slack on the Canadian quotas that's their call but force the teams that want to make the Champions League and represent Canada to play Canadians and that will in turn drive those clubs to have more Canadians on their rosters and playing roles full time in MLS.  

3 is an absolute minimum.. hopefully we see it raised to 4 and then 5 in years to come.  

5 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Nice, I'll be 100% making that Ottawa/Edmonton game on May 10th. 

Will likely be my first ever live soccer game ta boot.

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

YES, finally!  I've been calling for it for years.  If MLS/Canadian clubs want to be slack on the Canadian quotas that's their call but force the teams that want to make the Champions League and represent Canada to play Canadians and that will in turn drive those clubs to have more Canadians on their rosters and playing roles full time in MLS.  

3 is an absolute minimum.. hopefully we see it raised to 4 and then 5 in years to come.  

By no means would I like to see the V's cup become a B squad tournament.   I would like to see 5 Canadians start because they are starters. 

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

To add to this, this shouldn't be a stretch in quality either, given that all 5 teams have a number of Canadians who are either in the 18, or worthy of it.

TFC can start Osorio, Ricketts and Chapman / Edwards / Hamilton. Montreal can start Bernier, Crepeau and Lefevre / Tabla. Whitecaps can start Davies, Teibert, de Jong. FC Edmonton can start Ledgerwood, Fisk, Farago / Eustaquio. Ottawa can start Irving, Edward, Dixon, Haworth.

5 minutes ago, admin said:

Did people skip the part the likes of League 1 are being added with further expansion the year after?

Surprised this is not getting more attention. 

I completely missed that part. So, presumably it would be a 4 team prelim round between FC Edmonton, Ottawa Fury, L1O winner and PLSQ winner?

Also, given that Canadian PDL clubs were not mentioned, I wonder if this is the carrot that they dangle for PDL clubs to join Canadian leagues?

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I completely missed that part. So, presumably it would be a 4 team prelim round between FC Edmonton, Ottawa Fury, L1O winner and PLSQ winner?

Then as the likes of BC and others add similar leagues they will also be added along with the senior amateur men's winners. 

Remember that Voyageurs team people have been fantasizing about for a decade...... :P

47 minutes ago, admin said:

By no means would I like to see the V's cup become a B squad tournament.   I would like to see 5 Canadians start because they are starters. 

Definitely, that's why it's a good thing to have a quota IMO.  It forces you to develop/play Canadians, otherwise your squad is going to get run over by the team that did in this competition.  

It also says that TFC's spot in the 2018 CCL is up in the air. They will need to either win the tourney again this year or win a playoff in Toronto against this years champs.

I thought they would do a playoff between 2017 and 2018 winners to determine 2019 CCL entry.

From the link @Futballer posted. "In lieu of this development, the DIII Inter-Provincial Cup competition will be discontinued."

That's a bit disappointing in my opinion, but I'd much rather have only Voyageurs Cup involvement for D3 teams than only Inter-Provincial Cup involvement.

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Also, given that Canadian PDL clubs were not mentioned, I wonder if this is the carrot that they dangle for PDL clubs to join Canadian leagues?

2 hours ago, Kent said:

From the link @Futballer posted. "In lieu of this development, the DIII Inter-Provincial Cup competition will be discontinued."

That's a bit disappointing in my opinion, but I'd much rather have only Voyageurs Cup involvement for D3 teams than only Inter-Provincial Cup involvement.

For 2018, that'll probably be L1O vs Ottawa, PLSQ vs Edmonton (or swap the D2-teams). But wouldn't that put 5-teams in the 2nd round? How would that run?

It had been thought the Interprovincial Cup (IPC) winner would be the one to take a berth in the Voyageurs Cup, but this is much better. It creates the perfect way to add BCRT3, which starts play in 2018 (and thus has no champion yet), giving their 1st champion a berth for the 2019 V-Cup. With the short BCRT3 season, they had already opted out of the Interprovincial (except officially), so the elimination of that tournament in exchange for entry into the V-Cup looks like a nice move.

I wonder how they'll deal with a 5-team opening round though. Perhaps the Challenge Trophy winners will be added as well? That would put 6 in the 1st round, 6 in the 2nd round, and 3 remaining for a round-robin championship?

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

My hope is that there will be CPL teams to pump up the numbers too. Otherwise, it would just make more sense to have the east and west L1O champs go along with PLSQ so there would be 8 teams total.

Honestly, the general consensus was that the CSA wasn't going to bother altering the VCup format until the CPL was around, simply to get it all over with at once.

So, as much as I'm completely reading into this, the inclusion of the D3 leagues in the VCup is probably the strongest official signal we've had to date that the CPL is actually starting in 2018.

30 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly, the general consensus was that the CSA wasn't going to bother altering the VCup format until the CPL was around, simply to get it all over with at once.

So, as much as I'm completely reading into this, the inclusion of the D3 leagues in the VCup is probably the strongest official signal we've had to date that the CPL is actually starting in 2018.

I am not counting my chickens just yet, but another more subtle hint in the news today is the Can-con rule. Perhaps 3 Canadians starting is going to be the CPL rule, and they want to keep it consistent in the V-Cup, and they don't want MLS teams to have an advantage over CPL teams.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

I am not counting my chickens just yet, but another more subtle hint in the news today is the Can-con rule. Perhaps 3 Canadians starting is going to be the CPL rule, and they want to keep it consistent in the V-Cup, and they don't want MLS teams to have an advantage over CPL teams.

That was my thought as well.

Archived