Voyageurs' Cup 2017

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bernier was good too. Edwards made the pass at the end, but he was poor for much of the rest of the game. The double sub by TFC at half was as laughable as it was predictable.

Tabla was good too, but faded. Probably would have been subbed off had Piatti been able to continue.

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

He didn't look great to me over the two legs.

He was bad in the first leg (goal never should have gone in) and despite his shot-stopping on a few occasions, looked pretty shaky in this one. I've never been impressed with him until his highlight saves today.

Look, even with the red, however unjust, you have all your defense back and take away a striker, so in your defensive third you cannot say you are in inferiority. If you think that, you are coached poorly or reading the game wrong. Especially when you have a simple goal: get to the extra periods. 

Over a longer period, true, you would not have as much possession and the rival would get more chances. But you cannot say Montreal lost due to the red, they had little going forward most of the game, Piatti was poor, as was Mancuso. And no one was leading on the field at all, there was no idea of hey, we need to sit back comfortably here and wait for the counter, since just one little goal forces them to get two more...or get to penalties. 

Last year TFC did not deserve to win, Robinson threw it away with his dumb tactics. This year, as I see it, they did. 

8 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Ref was heavily influence by TFC players overreaction...that combined with missing a lot of calls earlier he overreacted with that red card.

Not the man's best night, by any measurement. 

But on the bright side now I know who drank all those beers I seem to be missing!  No idea how he pulled that trick off but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

As far as Canadian players are concerned....Crepeau stood out.

Stood out tonight, period.  Was asked to do more than his part and did.

MOTM Giovinco of course with a few players earning a strong mention, Crepeau right at the top of my list.  Hate to say Bradley's in there too and thought Ciman was a beast tonight.

4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Stood out tonight, period.  Was asked to do more than his part and did.

MOTM Giovinco of course with a few players earning a strong mention, Crepeau right at the top of my list.  Hate to say Bradley's in there too and thought Ciman was a beast tonight.

What's with the hate on Bradley. Think he's been immense for TFC this season.

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

What's with the hate on Bradley. Think he's been immense for TFC this season.

He's terrific, but also an immense dick as you'll see any time a call doesn't go TFC's way (Politicking Gantar into handing Bernier the red is another typical example.)

33 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Literally Edwards only positive contributions of the game were in the last two minutes. 

I like him going forward. He is nobody's defender.

He's been alright defensively this year. Today wasn't so great but his whole second half was decent. He came out much better than the first.

34 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Toronto FC won because Montreal got tired and their best player injured, and they didn't replace their Canadians at half with better players. That's the depth advantage you get from outspending your opponent 4 to 1. If they lost this tie it would have been an embarrassment, and rightly so, for them

Subbing Crepeau, Tabla and Bernier would have been key?

TFC subbing out a couple Canadians at half wasn't laughable in my opinion. They care about winning the tournament. Anyone who thinks Altidore in for Ricketts doesn't improve TFC's chances is kidding themselves (and I love Ricketts!). Osorio off for Delgado is more up in the air, but in general the stats say you should make subs earlier rather than later. Tonight doesn't exactly contradict that logic since they were down at half, and got the win.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

TFC subbing out a couple Canadians at half wasn't laughable in my opinion. They care about winning the tournament. Anyone who thinks Altidore in for Ricketts doesn't improve TFC's chances is kidding themselves (and I love Ricketts!). Osorio off for Delgado is more up in the air, but in general the stats say you should make subs earlier rather than later. Tonight doesn't exactly contradict that logic since they were down at half, and got the win.

I'm sure it won't be long, if the rule remains as is, that we see a Canadian subbed off for a better player 5 minutes into the match.

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm sure it won't be long, if the rule remains as is, that we see a Canadian subbed off for a better player 5 minutes into the match.

And it'll be a CPL team that first does it. At which point half of our heads will explode at the irony of it all.

23 minutes ago, Kent said:

It isn't really. Delgado is only slightly worse offensively, doesn't lose the ball anywhere as often, and is a considerably better defender; he might not be a much better player than Osorio, but he's certainly a better cog in the the TFC system. His pass in the lead up to the Giovinco goal was immense. 

Now having returned home to watch the TSN2 re-broadcast of the match, I disagree somewhat with the consensus. It was not only not a red card on Bernier, I didn't even think it was a foul. On TSN radio after the game Terry Dunfield thought it was a make up call for not giving a blatantly obvious penalty moments before, but I thought the officiating crew was incompetent the whole night missing both big and little calls for both teams, so why put the last bit of incompetency down to an intentionally bad call?

While I don't think Gantar was the reason TFC won, as a Canadian I would have preferred the victory to be because of  the crap American Fisher tackle rather than a Canadian Bernier play that probably wasn't even a foul and absolutely not a red card. And that aspect was Gantar's fault.

Thought Crepeau looked good and it will be a damn shame if we lose Tabla to the Ivory Coast as he was more of a handful for TFC than even Piatti was.

Archived