Voyageurs' Cup 2017

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Did I get the time wrong?  Thought the game/stream would be going by now.

According to the Canada soccer website, coverage should have started half an hour ago.

They sure don't make it easy for us!

The announced attendance was 2567. Is that accurate? It looks bad in the big stadium but I think that is what could be expected from a team playing in the 3rd division (which is what I think most people consider USL to be regardless of the USSF designation) for a game like this. If the Fury wanted to fill up the stadium more they should have stayed in NASL. If the CPL is going to have good attendances they need to ensure that the league does things that make the public not perceive it as a low level league like the USL is currently perceived as.

They had over 6000 for the season home opener against TFC II, so I don't think the USL vs NASL thing makes much difference. Think the main problem is that they generate a lot of their crowd through heavily discounted youth soccer group sales and midweek evening games in early May are not so good for that when there is school for the children the next day.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

The announced attendance was 2567. Is that accurate? It looks bad in the big stadium but I think that is what could be expected from a team playing in the 3rd division (which is what I think most people consider USL to be regardless of the USSF designation) for a game like this. If the Fury wanted to fill up the stadium more they should have stayed in NASL. If the CPL is going to have good attendances they need to ensure that the league does things that make the public not perceive it as a low level league like the USL is currently perceived as.

The attendance announced seemed higher than it appeared.  I don't think I've seen it that empty for a while.  I can't imagine what Saturday's attendance discrepancy against Tampa Bay will be like in the rain and going against the Sens-Rangers game.

Generally, I've found the USL to be better than what I had expected but slightly down from the NASL.  I attended my first USL game when the Fury was in St Louis and I wasn't able to tell much of a difference between that and last year in the NASL.  Having said that, Wed night was a game against an NASL side and the quality was very poor.

Also, i would argue that many of the clubs (especially the independently owned ones) have better bottom lines than most the NASL ones.

6 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The attendance is almost exactly the same as what Ottawa drew for the home leg against Edmonton in 2014 and 2015 (2411 and 2402, respectively), when they also hosted the first leg. Last year, the only year they've hosted the second leg, they drew 3946 after winning the away leg 3-0.

Hard to say what impact other factors have had, but Ottawa's VC attendance seems quite stable actually. This is also technically Ottawa's second-highest attendance in the first round of the VC, so USL doesn't seem to have had any significant impact. Moreover, I don't think there's any reason to believe that the move would have any impact on VC interest given that the VC literally hasn't changed at all this year and doesn't have anything to do with the USL anyway.

It's possible Ottawa's league attendance might not slump that much either, the home opener against TFC II drew 6500 compared to 7000 against Miami last year and frankly casual fans probably don't know or care all that much about the difference between USL and NASL, and the people who do are most likely still going to show up anyway because they're diehard fans.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

USL in Canada never drew much interest

I'll argue that the CPL (if or when it happens) won't draw significantly more than USL or NASL at least in Ottawa.  There are a lot of soccer fans who won't cross the street unless it is a big European team.

So, the second leg of the Ottawa-Edmonton game is tonight.  I figured I would bump this thread because:

- I haven't heard anything about the game, and thought others on here might not as well

- I will restate my view that there should be some sort of function on the website the flags significant CanCon games like this one

- I will restate my view that the main tabs highlighted under the "forums" heading at the top of the page should include the V-Cup link. 

I suspect the tabs automatically sort by traffic, but that is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy because that is how at least some tend to navigate the site - thus the presence of those tabs will help stream more folks into those sections of the forum.  And for something intermittent like the V-Cup, the threads will never accumulate as many regular posts as other league-based or team-based sections.

The Ott/Ed fixture is one of the few games that comprise our Canadian championship.  The way the site is presently set up, it seems like you really have to go looking for info on games like this - which seems less than ideal for the Voyageurs website.   Not trying to bitch about it - I greatly appreciate what the site does - but it seems like the website could do a better job of flagging these sorts of games for members.   The V Cup could be far more prominent here as a way of making sure members know about upcoming games.

I will now step down off my soapbox.

Jake Keegan ties it up on the weirdest goal I've ever seen.

Irving collected the ball off a cross and Keegan had gone in behind the goal on the play. Irving didn't realize he was there and dropped the ball on the ground to kick out and Keegan came out from behind the goal, scooped it up from right in front of him and scored. 1-1

Archived