Voyageurs' Cup 2017

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad the game was streamed last night.  Overall my evening involved the Pens beating the Caps (yay), TFC beating the Crew (yay), the Oils sad demise (boo) and this game (good either waysince I have no strong preference between the two).  Odd goal aside, it was a good game - and the kind of game Canadian footy fans could get excited about if this was any kind of preview of what CPL might look like.  Attendance wasn't great, so I would be curious why folks think was the case, but in terms of the footy on offer it was definitely fun to watch. 

The other thing that occurred to me is that while it might not generate the same potential revenue, a streaming option for CPL (in the absence of a TV deal) would at least provide a reliable, quality way to access games, and could provide a model for future revenue through subscription.  With the amount of phones, tablets, android boxes/appleTV/whatever, and smart TVs out there, a streaming platform would allow the league pretty much full saturation within their fanbase.  Anyone who wanted to catch a game  could do so.  Though CBC would still be my sentimental favourite, at a time when exposure is paramount, a platform that allows virtually everyone to access a game from pretty much anywhere seems like a decent fallback strategy.         

Anywho, enough aboutCPL.  Great home and away by the Fury.  Good luck to them in the role of underdog :)

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Glad the game was streamed last night.  Overall my evening involved the Pens beating the Caps (yay), TFC beating the Crew (yay), the Oils sad demise (boo) and this game (good either waysince I have no strong preference between the two).  Odd goal aside, it was a good game - and the kind of game Canadian footy fans could get excited about if this was any kind of preview of what CPL might look like.  Attendance wasn't great, so I would be curious why folks think was the case, but in terms of the footy on offer it was definitely fun to watch. 

Simple, the game was going up against the Oilers in game 7. No Voyageurs Cup game will draw well if it goes up against playoff hockey. 

Given what the game was up against, I thought the crowd was fantastic. I've seen worse crowds for games against MLS clubs in Edmonton without hockey that night, specifically against Montreal in 2014.

4 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Simple, the game was going up against the Oilers in game 7. No Voyageurs Cup game will draw well if it goes up against playoff hockey. 

Given what the game was up against, I thought the crowd was fantastic. I've seen worse crowds for games against MLS clubs in Edmonton without hockey that night, specifically against Montreal in 2014.

Oh shit - I thought the game was in Ottawa (missed the intro to the game, saw a few Oilers jerseys in the stands but thought they were away fans).  And now that I think about it, the daylight wouldn't make any sense of the game was in Ottawa.  My stupidity. 

In light of that, attendance competing with the game 7 was damn good.  That was my only reservation about last night, and now I feel even better about it.

A commentator said at the start that Sanon could not count as a Canadian in this competition as he played with haiti u20. That was great news. You want to play for another country? No problem but your chances of playing will be even lower now.

What in the world was Miller doing starting Ledgerwood so high when he's a DM or RB and starting neither of Ameobi or Fisk. Then taking off Shields after the first half when he was more active and better than others. 4+ years and seeing the same types of mistakes over and over. Time for a coaching change.

Zebie and Irving were awful. Bad day for the Canadians.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kent said:

Leg one for the semi finals tomorrow night. Someone asked a good question on mlssoccer.com. Does Davies count as domestic for this tourney? I would assume he doesn't.

According to this article, he does not count as domestic.
http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/patrick-johnston-canadian-quota-no-challenge-for-the-whitecaps

10 hours ago, masster said:

Thanks for the link. It's probably correct about that, but I'll have to take the info with a grain of salt since the article also claims that all four of Teibert, De Jong, Bustos, and McKendry have been starters in MLS this season, even though Bustos has 0 minutes played in MLS according to mlssoccer.com. De Jong and McKendry have both started 1 game and have played 91 and 90 minutes respectively. It's a bit funny that the conclusion is that it is no problem for them to start 3 Canadian players.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see the starting lineups for the games tonight, and I'm really looking forward to the games!

12 hours ago, shermanator said:

Shamit Shome is on the roster for the Impact, coming off injury, and interestingly above Beland-Goyette. Really hope to see him get some time in Vancouver.

Bush, Fisher Oyongo Piatti and Dzemaili didn't travel. So you know the 18 from that roster. 

I'm crazy but I would like to see 4 CDN keepers.  Call up Cavalluzzo, Melvin etc.  Lets have some CMNT auditions.  It seems like half the time the clubs dont care if they win the Cup, so why not give these guys a start.  

Archived