Voyageurs' Cup 2017

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well, it's Bernier, Crepeau and Lefevre starting for the Impact. Tabla is on the bench. Shome not in the 18.

Boo. I was kinda hoping for a chance to see how the kid's shaping up. Haven't heard a thing since he was signed.

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Quick, we have to sub out all the Canadians!

CSA needs to take it a step further and make it mandatory for there always to be 3 Canadians on the field, not just starting. Only ended up with 1 dedicated Canadian the last 10 minutes of the game.

AJH was injured? What happened?

I thought the "FUCK TORONTO" sign was funny, lol

I saw one person in the travelling Toronto support that was heavily tattooed, with a small brimmed bucket hat and a black bandana covering his face....has that gutless organization ANTIFA infiltrated RPB? 

Wasn't an awesome game to watch.  TFC have to be pretty happy with the outcome - though the pressure at the end could have led to an even better result for them.  Given the missed penalty, 1-1 is probably a pretty fair result since both teams had and missed chances.

As for subbing the Canadians, I am of two minds.  Yes, it sucks in the Canadian championship that the clubs basically fulfiled their obligation but did nothing more.  Having said that, its not like any one of them were really shaping up to have a huge impact on the game.  Hard to argue with any individual decision to sub them off. 

Bernier was doing well and was influential but I think he was running out of gas.

Montreal really missed Jackson, or really any forward with any pace whatsoever. Their tactic of balls over the top could have worked on 5 or 6 occasions if they had a forward with any kind of speed at all to run on to them. For this reason I'm kind of surprised they didn't bring on Oduro at some point.

Subbing on Morrow for Edwards was a bit surprising to me - Edwards hit the goal post and assisted on the TFC goal whereas Beitashour was fairly anonymous on the other side but, more importantly, plays a position which TFC doesn't have as much depth in - maybe Cooper starts there tomorrow? Taking him off and moving Edwards to the right if they really needed to bring on Morrow made a bit more sense to me

I thought the weakest player on the night was Irwin, followed by Moor & Zavaleta (who struggled with man-marking the whole night). A lot of TFC players I didn't think were at their best (including Bradley & Giovinco when he came on) but Irwin somewhat cemented Bono in the number one role with that performance.

A nice bit of honesty from the Impact's Chris Duvall in this Neil Davidson article:http://www.tsn.ca/impact-tfc-draw-in-canadian-final-opener-1.785704

Call me crazy, but I didn't mind TFC subbing out the Canadians. The reason why I liked it is because this game was taken seriously by TFC. Altidore started (Bradley too, but he's suspended for today's game so that was to be expected), Giovinco and Vazquez both got time to try to go out and win the game late. I don't like it when this tournament is treated like something that isn't important to win.

On 6/22/2017 at 1:16 PM, Gian-Luca said:

A nice bit of honesty from the Impact's Chris Duvall in this Neil Davidson article:http://www.tsn.ca/impact-tfc-draw-in-canadian-final-opener-1.785704 

Whether the Impact would have done the same thing we don't know but it was not very sporting or fair play to continue playing in this situation. Lovitz was down for quite a while and was clearly really hurt not faking. At the very least when the ball was put back up the field either TFC should have kicked it out or the ref should have stopped play. The injury to Lovitz was directly responsible for the goal, he was lying on the pitch very near to where the shot was taken and where he would usually be defending. An illegitimate goal as far as I am concerned. Petrescu should not ref against the Impact or even better should not ref at all because he is a terrible and biased ref.

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Whether the Impact would have done the same thing we don't know but it was not very sporting or fair play to continue playing in this situation. Lovitz was down for quite a while and was clearly really hurt not faking. At the very least when the ball was put back up the field either TFC should have kicked it out or the ref should have stopped play. The injury to Lovitz was directly responsible for the goal, he was lying on the pitch very near to where the shot was taken and where he would usually be defending. An illegitimate goal as far as I am concerned. Petrescu should not ref against the Impact or even better should not ref at all because he is a terrible and biased ref.

Bolded is funny.  I hate when Petrescu refs TFC games.  I find him to be terrible and biased against us.

In my opinion, it's the ref's decision to stop the play if there is a serious injury. I grew up with the notion of sporting behaviour with the team with possession kicking the ball out of play, and I still play that way, but in the professional game where so often the "injured" player is not being sporting themselves, just trying to get a stoppage or trying to get a player booked. So why on earth should the team with possession be held to a higher standard of sporting behaviour? Obviously in this case the player was actually injured, but I am completely fine with teams abandoning the practice altogether.

It is unfortunate that it panned out that way for Montreal though.

Archived