Voyageurs' Cup 2017

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The man could care less about Canadian Soccer.

Both of the above statements are pure speculation that, in my opinion, is simply not true.  And I didn't like Manning's "don't compete with us" stance on the CPL either.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Ansem said:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-cries-foul-at-concacaf-champions-league-qualifying-change/article34261071/

Toronto FC cries foul at CONCACAF Champions League qualifying change

When Toronto FC won the Canadian Championship last year, the spoils of victory included a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Now it has been told that it must clear another hurdle. Toronto has to win this year’s Canadian Championship or, if it fails to do so, beat the team that does win it to secure the CONCACAF tournament invite it thought it already had.

The Canadian Soccer Association, which made the change, says it was necessitated by a revamped CONCACAF tournament format.

Previously the CONCACAF club championship ran August through April. But starting next year, MLS teams won’t enter the competition until February with the event wrapping up in May.

That created a logjam with Toronto and another possible qualifier emerging from this year’s Canadian championship vying for one spot in the revamped 2018 CONCACAF tournament.

The CSA decided to institute the one-off playoff – this August in Toronto if needed – to get down to one qualifier and correct the pathway from one tournament to the other as soon as possible.

I saw this article a few days ago, and thought the headline was misleading. There are 0 quotes from TFC or anyone involved with TFC. Nobody cried foul (except some fans, but the article didn't even mention that). I wonder if the lack of complaints from TFC are actually a reflection of how little they care about the CCL? I sure hope not.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I saw this article a few days ago, and thought the headline was misleading. There are 0 quotes from TFC or anyone involved with TFC. Nobody cried foul (except some fans, but the article didn't even mention that). I wonder if the lack of complaints from TFC are actually a reflection of how little they care about the CCL? I sure hope not.

As most of MLS teams, they care more about winning the MLS cup than CCL. CONCACAF must find ways to make MLS care about that tournament, the rest of the confederation sure does.

I wonder what will be CPL clubs approach to that tournament...

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

As most of MLS teams, they care more about winning the MLS cup than CCL. CONCACAF must find ways to make MLS care about that tournament, the rest of the confederation sure does.

I wonder what will be CPL clubs approach to that tournament...

I sure hope CPL teams prioritize the Voyageurs Cup and the CCL, because that's where we can most easily see the MLS to CPL gap. The better the results in those competitions, specifically against MLS teams, the better the CPL looks. The fact that MLS teams typically don't take the Voyageurs Cup all that seriously can help CPL's scorelines, at least until they start pushing MLS enough that MLS has to take it more seriously.

It will be interesting to see how MLS teams treat the new CCL format. Teams tended to play reserves in the group stages, but take the knockout round games more seriously. So they might actually play starters for the most part from now on.

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

Pretty sure there was an article in the Sun (Larsen) a few days back quoting TFC at being unhappy with the change.  I believe the article quoted Bezbatchenko, not Manning.  Going on pure memory though. 

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Pretty sure there was an article in the Sun (Larsen) a few days back quoting TFC at being unhappy with the change.  I believe the article quoted Bezbatchenko, not Manning.  Going on pure memory though. 

Can't find any mention from Larsen about the CCL in any Toronto Sun articles since the news came out. The only mention about CCL at all was saying Vancouver plays in the CCL on Tuesday before TFC plays Vancouver on Saturday.

On 14/03/2017 at 11:26 AM, Ivan said:

I'm not sure if this was the article you were thinking about or not, but I came across this today linked under the Zambrano article.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/csa-announces-draw-changes-canadian-championship/

"That caused TFC officials to cry foul.

"When we won the (Canadian) tournament last year, we won it under the premise that we were going to then be in the CONCACAF Champions League," said Toronto coach Greg Vanney. "I don't think it's fair but sometimes things in life aren't always fair.

"There's now kind of an odd year where two teams are going to be able to qualify for one year, so they're going to have to have a playoff at some spot. We were kind of hoping that that would pushed off another year so when everyone entered the tournament they would at least know that existed."

Toronto captain Michael Bradley was also unimpressed by the rule change.

"The whole situation seems a little strange ... We had no idea that this was even a question," he said.

"We wanted to win the Canadian championship anyway this year. And now there's a little extra motivation," he added."

I'll be honest, before this actually came down, I was kind of on the fence about domestic requirements in the V-Cup. On one end, you want to send the best to the CCL and grow the game with a deep run.

However, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to feel, an MLS team having a deep run, isn't going to grow the game, as much as that MLS team, and that's not really helping Canada. The MLS teams are already successes, they don't need to amplify their success much more if they aren't playing Canadians..

Thus, I'm glad the CSA did this. This is them saying "Develop or acquire, starter quality Canadians on your teams, or you will have a handicap if you want to represent Canada at the CCL, and you will likely lose out on the money and prestige of that tournament."

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is an injustice to a die-hard TFC fan - and the team reps are saying exactly what they would be expected to say to advance the team's interest - but for me this is a non-issue.  It is an unfortunate one-time occurrence that is caused by the scheduling change.  I suppose it could have been used to argue the need for another Canadian spot (even if only for the upcoming CCL year) but it is what it is. 

As for the Canadian content requirements on the roster, I am all for it.  It is the CSA's job to use the tools at its disposal to advance the interests of Canadian footy (all of them).  The health of our pro MLS clubs can be advanced in lockstep with mandated player development.  If anything, I would like to see the CSA get way more aggressive about leveraging its power to ensure strong developmental paths/opportunities for Canada-eligible players.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess this is an injustice to a die-hard TFC fan - and the team reps are saying exactly what they would be expected to say to advance the team's interest - but for me this is a non-issue.  It is an unfortunate one-time occurrence that is caused by the scheduling change.  I suppose it could have been used to argue the need for another Canadian spot (even if only for the upcoming CCL year) but it is what it is. 

The scheduling change necessitated a change by the CSA, but they handled it poorly. A couple years ago when they changed the Voyageurs Cup schedule and had to do a one-off change to who gets the CCL spot, they did it ahead of time, rather than retroactively. Back then, if I remember correctly, they said before the MLS season started that the team that finishes with the most points would go to the CCL one year and the V-Cup champs would go to CCL another year. In my mind that was handled well.

This time around they should have made this CCL playoff game happen next year, between the 2017 and 2018 champs, since they had already awarded the CCL spot to Toronto for winning the 2016 championship. The change wasn't as urgent as they are making it seem.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CanSuffer said:

Excited for this year's Voyageurs Cup. Anyone know what time the Edmonton vs Ottawa game is on Wed ? Even better a live stream ?

I believe it's at 7:30 pm Eastern.  I would be surprised if the CSA didn't put a stream on their website or Youtube channel.

On 2017-04-30 at 1:37 PM, CanSuffer said:

Excited for this year's Voyageurs Cup. Anyone know what time the Edmonton vs Ottawa game is on Wed ? Even better a live stream ?

The CSA just scheduled the livestream on YouTube.

13 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So the V-Cup game is on at 8:15 (where I am) and the TFC vs Larin game is on TSN at 8:30.  Would have been nice if the V-Cup game could have been scheduled to not conflict with another interesting game for many Canadian footy fans.

The Youtube streams are usually left for future viewing so I will be at the TFC game then come home and watch the V-Cup game Chromecast to my big screen TV. What a Canadian footy watching day!

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So the V-Cup game is on at 8:15 (where I am) and the TFC vs Larin game is on TSN at 8:30.  Would have been nice if the V-Cup game could have been scheduled to not conflict with another interesting game for many Canadian footy fans.

So true. If this is a Vs cup fixture date, it should be Vs Cup only.

Archived