Voyageurs' Cup 2017

23 minutes ago, Kent said:

I am not counting my chickens just yet, but another more subtle hint in the news today is the Can-con rule. Perhaps 3 Canadians starting is going to be the CPL rule, and they want to keep it consistent in the V-Cup, and they don't want MLS teams to have an advantage over CPL teams.

I'd be happy with 3 mandated starters + a relatively modest roster quota. Good balance between maintaining league quality and opportunities. 

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something that hasn't been brought up yet. What happens if TFC III wins L1O? Presumably they won't be allowed in the Voyageurs Cup since they aren't the top level of their club (same reason why TFC II, VWFC2, and FC Montreal haven't been allowed in the past). If TFC III wins their conference, will there be two separate playoffs? One between TFC III (Western Conference champions) and the Eastern Conference champions to determine the L1O champion. And then another playoff between the Western Conference runner up and the Eastern Conference champions to determine who goes to the Voyageurs Cup?

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Something that hasn't been brought up yet. What happens if TFC III wins L1O? Presumably they won't be allowed in the Voyageurs Cup since they aren't the top level of their club (same reason why TFC II, VWFC2, and FC Montreal haven't been allowed in the past). If TFC III wins their conference, will there be two separate playoffs? One between TFC III (Western Conference champions) and the Eastern Conference champions to determine the L1O champion. And then another playoff between the Western Conference runner up and the Eastern Conference champions to determine who goes to the Voyageurs Cup?

That's a very interesting question. I would imagine that TFC III would be barred, in much the same way as TFC II. Would Windsor TFC Stars also be barred? FC London's agreement with TFC is a lot looser, so I'm not concerned about their possible attendance at the V-Cup.

In my mind, there wouldn't be a 2nd play-off to determine V-Cup eligibility. I think they would go to points or to the league's runner-up. It's not fair or a true representation either way, but it's probably the most expedient. I have the feeling they haven't really sat down and discussed that particular quirk.

23 hours ago, shermanator said:

Also, given that Canadian PDL clubs were not mentioned, I wonder if this is the carrot that they dangle for PDL clubs to join Canadian leagues?

The CSA didn't come to the PDL clubs with a carrot, they came with a bat. But it is definitely an incentive for future teams, or people hoping to start teams.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

The CSA didn't come to the PDL clubs with a carrot, they came with a bat. But it is definitely an incentive for future teams, or people hoping to start teams.

I guess that answers my question from the League1 Ontario 2017 thread. You still seem set on PDL rather than L1O despite the Voyageurs Cup inclusion.

For me personally, I'm excited as hell at the idea of watching North Toronto Nitros against and MLS team or even Ottawa or Edmonton at Varsity Stadium! I hope NTN kills it this year and qualifies.

Just now, Kent said:

I guess that answers my question from the League1 Ontario 2017 thread. You still seem set on PDL rather than L1O despite the Voyageurs Cup inclusion.

For me personally, I'm excited as hell at the idea of watching North Toronto Nitros against and MLS team or even Ottawa or Edmonton at Varsity Stadium! I hope NTN kills it this year and qualifies.

Personally, I am all for League1 Ontario. But my team ain't. And frankly, I love my team more than any league. I have pushed management but it's a different type of player that goes to L1O, a player type that's a more difficult sell to bigger clubs. United is going to go to the CPL. So that's when I will get to watch some great Voyageurs Cup action with my team.

1 minute ago, Levi Oakey said:

Personally, I am all for League1 Ontario. But my team ain't. And frankly, I love my team more than any league. I have pushed management but it's a different type of player that goes to L1O, a player type that's a more difficult sell to bigger clubs. United is going to go to the CPL. So that's when I will get to watch some great Voyageurs Cup action with my team.

When you talk about player types, I assume you just mean they aren't as good right?

That's probably true. I hope this Voyageurs Cup involvement helps to increase the level of L1O, both in terms of recruiting better local players to play in L1O rather than leagues like PDL, and also hopefully in terms of incentive to produce better players by improving investment in youth development. Those will be long processes though I'm sure.

59 minutes ago, Kent said:

When you talk about player types, I assume you just mean they aren't as good right?

That's probably true. I hope this Voyageurs Cup involvement helps to increase the level of L1O, both in terms of recruiting better local players to play in L1O rather than leagues like PDL, and also hopefully in terms of incentive to produce better players by improving investment in youth development. Those will be long processes though I'm sure.

Barry Maclean is a player agent and uses KW United as part of his business model, which seems to heavily emphasize representing NCAA-track players. Not that L1O couldn't serve that need, but PDL is basically built around NCAA player availability/restrictions/etc

I'm sure Maclean also sees value in KW's level being easily understandable for thin MLS scouting departments, as opposed to trying to figure out how being a strong L1O product (ex. Adonijah Reid) actually means within an MLS context.

I also wouldn't be surprised if part of it wasn't a wealthy guy who built the team from scratch not appreciating being told how to run their own club...lots of strong personalities understandably react poorly to that.

Hopefully in time the NCAA-track becomes completely antiquated and this sort of thing will resolve itself, but for the time being I think it is easy to see both sides' points.

17 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Hopefully in time the NCAA-track becomes completely antiquated and this sort of thing will resolve itself, but for the time being I think it is easy to see both sides' points.

True that. Once United goes CPL there is talk they will have an L1O academy team. 

Just now, Levi Oakey said:

True that. Once United goes CPL there is talk they will have an L1O academy team. 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing a few CPL reserve/academy teams in L1O

Which again raises the question above. I'd assume that the reserve sides will be blocked form the V-Cup, but it might be a bit awkward

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I was thinking this as well - asked them on twitter and will let you know if I get a response.

Response to someone else, but answer still valid.

I assume second place means "whoever loses the league championship match" and not "second place in the combined table".

So seeing as TFC III will probably crush face now that PDL isn't in the picture... L1O eastern conference champ will go to the VCup.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

That's not terribly fair for the Western conference, especially if Windsor TFC Stars are also not allowed in Voyageurs Cup (would you mind asking Dino about that too? I don't have a twitter account). On either the East or the West side you have to win your conference to make it to the Voyageurs Cup, but if the West is won by TFC III, the East gets a free pass in the championship game. The Western champions will always have to win the championship game in order to qualify.

14 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Alright, I was tongue-in-cheek with the comment above, but can you imagine FC London, Sigma, Vaughan Azzurri, and Woodbridge Strikers all directly battling it out for a spot in the Voyageur's?

My god that would be amazing.

Honestly, I'm so excited about the L1O season now. Real life will dictate how many games I'll be able to go to, but I can't wait for it to get started. I really hope North Toronto Nitros can take a run for that spot in the Voyageurs Cup.

Not sure if this thread is intended to go this way .... split it off if you want.

I'd love to seen 6 teams battle for the 3 spots to fill out a QF bracket of 8.  3 MLS could all be drawn against minnows (qualifiers) with the 4th and 5th seeds to the current USL pair.  Those 3 qualifier games would be a good test of pressure situations for many up and coming players.  If it was just L1O and PQSL ... top 2 from each "conference" (basically 2 per 8 teams).  If we add the 6 PDL to that mix, maybe PDL teams that make the play-offs can qualify.  Most important, is the selection of teams be the decided on the field of play.

1 hour ago, coppercanuck said:

Not sure if this thread is intended to go this way .... split it off if you want.

I'd love to seen 6 teams battle for the 3 spots to fill out a QF bracket of 8.  3 MLS could all be drawn against minnows (qualifiers) with the 4th and 5th seeds to the current USL pair.  Those 3 qualifier games would be a good test of pressure situations for many up and coming players.  If it was just L1O and PQSL ... top 2 from each "conference" (basically 2 per 8 teams).  If we add the 6 PDL to that mix, maybe PDL teams that make the play-offs can qualify.  Most important, is the selection of teams be the decided on the field of play.

If CPL happens for next year, we'll have more teams than quarterfinals can handle.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

That's not terribly fair for the Western conference, especially if Windsor TFC Stars are also not allowed in Voyageurs Cup (would you mind asking Dino about that too? I don't have a twitter account). On either the East or the West side you have to win your conference to make it to the Voyageurs Cup, but if the West is won by TFC III, the East gets a free pass in the championship game. The Western champions will always have to win the championship game in order to qualify.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-cries-foul-at-concacaf-champions-league-qualifying-change/article34261071/

Toronto FC cries foul at CONCACAF Champions League qualifying change

When Toronto FC won the Canadian Championship last year, the spoils of victory included a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Now it has been told that it must clear another hurdle. Toronto has to win this year’s Canadian Championship or, if it fails to do so, beat the team that does win it to secure the CONCACAF tournament invite it thought it already had.

The Canadian Soccer Association, which made the change, says it was necessitated by a revamped CONCACAF tournament format.

Previously the CONCACAF club championship ran August through April. But starting next year, MLS teams won’t enter the competition until February with the event wrapping up in May.

That created a logjam with Toronto and another possible qualifier emerging from this year’s Canadian championship vying for one spot in the revamped 2018 CONCACAF tournament.

The CSA decided to institute the one-off playoff – this August in Toronto if needed – to get down to one qualifier and correct the pathway from one tournament to the other as soon as possible.

4 minutes ago, shermanator said:

For a second I thought TFC were crying foul at the fact that they have to start 3 Canadians in each match. I'm sure that eats Manning up inside.

The man could care less about Canadian Soccer.

Archived