Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

45 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

He has not played for Malaysia as far as I know. Not sure what exchange rate PAID is at.

41 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Paid in Malaysia is currently just above "i need a second job so the kids can have piano lessons" in CDN dollars.  

He has switched to Malaysia and was called up twice but has yet to make an appearance... as for the assumption that the Malaysian league is cheap or he may need a second job.... he plays for Johor DT who just signed Maurício Nascimento from Lazio, and just broke a Malaysian record for a transfer fee of  €1.5 million for Brazilian striker Diogo. It has been rumoured in the past their player budget is like $40 million Canadian (which I don't believe, but some players are on like $40000usd per month), and theyre building a brand new 45000 seat stadium. So yes, he's getting PAID... and its because he could make the switch to Malaysia... The owners of the club are hell bent on improving Malaysian soccer. 

23 minutes ago, BradMack said:

He has switched to Malaysia and was called up twice but has yet to make an appearance... as for the assumption that the Malaysian league is cheap or he may need a second job.... he plays for Johor DT who just signed Maurício Nascimento from Lazio, and just broke a Malaysian record for a transfer fee of  €1.5 million for Brazilian striker Diogo. It has been rumoured in the past their player budget is like $40 million Canadian (which I don't believe, but some players are on like $40000usd per month), and theyre building a brand new 45000 seat stadium. So yes, he's getting PAID... and its because he could make the switch to Malaysia... The owners of the club are hell bent on improving Malaysian soccer. 

I don’t doubt that some players are paid well in Malaysia, but I don’t think it’s guys like Corbin-Ong.  He’s likely valuable because he counts as a domestic but in all likelihood he makes less than a MLS salary.  That’s the way these leagues work - they spend on a few imports and pay domestic talent their value, which is little. 

To be fair, what getting "PAID" in Malaysia looks like, might not transfer to seem significant in CAD. Or it might look like just a nice solid salary. However, depeding on what additional perks come with his team and the cost of living, he can probably live a very high quality of life (probably 3/4 times what the salary converts to in Canadian to live equivilently in Canada), and still save money. I am basing this on my own experiences living, working. and/or travelling in Asia/Southeast Asia and a quick Google search that gives 8,000 CAD as average expenses for a single person in Malaysia. Therefore, I see why he would not even consider leaving to come back. 

On another note, Daryl Fordyce is interested again? I know they said before he wouldn't sign with Edmonton, as he costs too much. Perhaps the opportunity to get back into professional football, two years later, is enticing him to come in at a lower rate?

Here's an interview he did a while back where he mentions interest from several CPL teams, one of which offered to let him run their U-16 academy. (Which team has a U-16 academy, or known plans for one?)

Q. Where will you resume your career?

A. I'm 31 and still want to play. Canada is my long-term home and I was pleased to see Edmonton have been resurrected with the new Canadian League starting next April. I'm talking to a few teams at the moment but still waiting on Luka's passport so can't go anywhere yet. It looks like we will stay in Canada.

One team might give me the Under-16 Academy to run as well as joining the first-team backroom staff. I could still play as well and it would be a nice start to my coaching career

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/footballers-lives-with-daryl-fordyce-painful-loss-has-made-me-stronger-and-escaping-belfast-bubble-was-type-of-experience-life-is-all-about-37338780.html

18 hours ago, Keegan said:

I don’t doubt that some players are paid well in Malaysia, but I don’t think it’s guys like Corbin-Ong.  He’s likely valuable because he counts as a domestic but in all likelihood he makes less than a MLS salary.  That’s the way these leagues work - they spend on a few imports and pay domestic talent their value, which is little. 

Well they have paid him enough to want to drop his Canadian and British Citizenship and play for Malaysia.... This is not about the league, its about the club. They are essentially the Celtic of Malaysia.

Their goal was to be the first Malaysian team to compete in the AFC Champions league. The way to qualify to this competition is a little trickier than in most places as spots are given out based on a countries performance in both AFC club competitions and national team competitions... Therefore, they are willing to pay a guy like Corbin-Ong to come to Malaysia, renounce his citizenship for other nations and play for the National team a year after finally breaking into Canada's camp with an upward career trajectory. 

By the way, he's not some bit player for them, he's their starting left back, and they will acheive their goal this coming AFC Champions League season, they have finally qualified for the group stage. I would bet an average MLS salary that he is making more than an average MLS salary. 

On 1/21/2019 at 8:43 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

He has not played for Malaysia as far as I know. Not sure what exchange rate PAID is at.

OT AF but his situation is strangely similar to that of Jordan Webb. These guys are like a mix of the David Wotherspoon of their adopted country and Rodney Dangerfield..if you have a guy jump through seventeen hoops and they are a de facto all star in their new domestic league I like to think they'll deserve a cap at some point.