Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Basketball is the big sport in Lithuania, because I think soccer was seen as being more of a Russian/Soviet sport. FK Sudava averaged 985 spectators per game last season:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveltu.htm

but maybe they have enough money from playing in European competition and/or having a sugar daddy investor, that they afford to give Toisant Ricketts one last six figure salary contract (or close to it). It's a short career that tends to end by 35, if you are doing well, so players should never be blamed for going where they get paid best.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

24 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Interesting I guess no one offered him 

Interesting I guess no team in the MLS or CPL offered him the money he wanted, I still think he is young enough and still of decent quality to still make the kind of money he was making at TFC .  I’m assuming the money he will make in Lithuania will be more or less what he was making for TFC or an amount more than he was offered by MLS or CPL teams.

It would have been cool to see him in CPL, but good for him for (presumably) securing a decent contract in Europe.  

21 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york043.htm

Still a lot to add to the L1O players at the CPL combine yesterday.  

Here's a list of the players that were there and the teams they were with last season.  

Also who advanced to the afternoon game.  

Interesting that both Oakville and FC London brought five players each and all survived the morning sessions.  Even farthest away Windsor and Ottawa SUF brought one guy each and each made it to the final game.  

Lots more to add later... 

I was ridiculed on here by many of the usual suspects early last year for suggesting that CanPL could be used as a way to move L1O players out to markets away from the GTA where people would actually be willing to pay to watch them play, and that they should try to have a bit of a U-23 focus in an Easton report sort of way as the U-21 roster rule appears to be aimed at fostering. Good to see stuff like that actually happening to a certain extent rather than the higher budget compete with MLS sort of approach that many on here craved.

CanPL are doing a lot of the things they need to do to hang around for the medium to long term by not giving players like Toisant Ricketts, Daryl Fordyce and David Edgar a low six figure salary and getting into a wage inflation spiral chasing after their signatures. Hope the powers that be realize that Toronto isn't the centre of the universe and that there other places where they should probably be holding similar combines like this as well:

https://aftn.ca/pacific-prospects-vmsl-players-worth-a-look-from-pacific-fc-and-the-rest-of-the-cpl/

53 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

CanPL are doing a lot of the things they need to do to hang around for the medium to long term by not giving players like Toisant Ricketts, Daryl Fordyce and David Edgar a low six figure salary and getting into a wage inflation spiral chasing after their signatures.

Yet. 

I agree with the post though, the focus should be on developing Canadian players and most of the known talents are in the GTA. So it makes sense. 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I was ridiculed on here by many of the usual suspects early last year for suggesting that CanPL could be used as a way to move L1O players out to markets away from the GTA where people would actually be willing to pay to watch them play, and that they should try to have a bit of a U-23 focus in an Easton report sort of way as the U-21 roster rule appears to be aimed at fostering. Good to see stuff like that actually happening to a certain extent rather than the higher budget compete with MLS sort of approach that many on here craved.

CanPL are doing a lot of the things they need to do to hang around for the medium to long term by not giving players like Toisant Ricketts, Daryl Fordyce and David Edgar a low six figure salary and getting into a wage inflation spiral chasing after their signatures. Hope the powers that be realize that Toronto isn't the centre of the universe and that there other places where they should probably be holding similar combines like this as well:

https://aftn.ca/pacific-prospects-vmsl-players-worth-a-look-from-pacific-fc-and-the-rest-of-the-cpl/

A year ago werent you suggesting the league wasnt going to go at all??  

This is actually more interesting for me, then the league bringing in Ricketts, Fordyce, or even Edgar.  If Pacific fill out their roster with the best guys in the article you mentioned more power to them.  Same with the PQ league, I hope someone has got the best guys there tied up and will announce them soon.  I would be pleased as punch if Ruby or some of the SFU alumni become stars in CPL.  Being a league that will focus more on young players and not the 30+ crowd isnt a bad thing.  And like u said, it''ll also let the teams keep wages down until the league gets on its feet.  

55 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

A year ago werent you suggesting the league wasnt going to go at all??  

I was skeptical that they really had 8 on board as was being claimed and so it has proved. Suspect what finally got them over the line in 2019 launch terms was Langford providing a plan B in stadium terms for the "Port City" Surrey group, but we'll probably never get to hear the full details of what happened behind the scenes.

Having Victoria rather than Surrey and getting FCE to return may have changed the dynamic a bit on salary caps, because around a year ago some of the rhetoric emanating from Hamilton, Ont suggested that a player like Toisant Ricketts might have been able to get 100k out of this league. I am pleasantly surprised by what is unfolding at the moment on things like the U-21 rule as that is clearly designed to make teams actively foster the next Jason DeVos in 1990 type scenario.

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:
go
Mo

keep adding info to my January 24th report of the CPL combine of L1O players. Now I've got pics of the pregame drills and a report of the Orange vs Green morning game. ?http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york043.htm

more to come.

Dieu Merci Yuma is an interesting name on that list. Still very young and lit up the lower Portuguese and French leagues not too long ago.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

Dieu Merci Yuma is an interesting name on that list. Still very young and lit up the lower Portuguese and French leagues not too long ago.

Anyone have any insight into this player? He came on as a sub for his French club on his debut and scored a hat trick then got injured and disappeared..?  At least that’s how I recall it.

edit: he had 5 goals in 7 appearances (297 minutes) in Frances fourth tier.  22 years old.. surely sought by CPL clubs.

Edited by Keegan

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Basketball is the big sport in Lithuania, because I think soccer was seen as being more of a Russian/Soviet sport. FK Sudava averaged 985 spectators per game last season:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveltu.htm

but maybe they have enough money from playing in European competition and/or having a sugar daddy investor, that they afford to give Toisant Ricketts one last six figure salary contract (or close to it). It's a short career that tends to end by 35, if you are doing well, so players should never be blamed for going where they get paid best.

Basketball is a religion in Lithuania and became big because emigrants to the US brought it back to their homeland. They also won the Euros in the 30's while they were independent between the two world wars. Soccer in the Soviet Union had nothing to do with it.

4 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Speaking of which, surprised we haven't heard an Iain Hume rumour. Must still be making good money in India.

It seems like he has a bit of "status" there, as well. Like Jordan Webb in Singapore, these Canadians starring in small leagues abroad must be enjoying a bit of celebrity status that would likely be hard to replicate in the early days of the CanPL.

19 hours ago, Keegan said:

Anyone have any insight into this player? He came on as a sub for his French club on his debut and scored a hat trick then got injured and disappeared..?  At least that’s how I recall it.

edit: he had 5 goals in 7 appearances (297 minutes) in Frances fourth tier.  22 years old.. surely sought by CPL clubs.

Dieu Merci Yuma joined Sanjaxx Lions late in the 2018 season in L1O and scored 6 goals in 7 games. Sanjaxx ended up scoring 14 goals in league play all year so in his short time scored almost half their goals.  Their final game of the season they had a chance of making the playoffs but Yuma was late arriving so was subbed in at halftime.  

I've got info of how he got back to L1O after his travels from the mother of teammate Nicholas Charles and put some details in my game report September 23rd against Alliance.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o238.htm

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Speaking of which, surprised we haven't heard an Iain Hume rumour. Must still be making good money in India.

I am not sure but since it is really only a half season he plays, it sounds good, enough to justify leaving his family back in England. I think he is on something like 150 thousand US. 

He came back to play one half season at Ponferradina, and in Spain 2nd tier the minimum salary is 77,500 euros a year, but the average salary is over 280,000 euros a year. Even if he was paid equivalent to the low end of the averages for that half season, you get the picture.

When he came to play for Extremadura in 3rd tier, 2B, I think he must have been on something like 5000 euros a month, as they had new investors and were keen to promote (they did the next season). The highest salary I have heard paid in 2B was a striker I've followed and seen play for years, who signed precisely to Extremadura a year ago, Enric Gallego, who was making 200,000 a season. Gallego has now transfered to La Liga, so the guy has made huge strides in 12 months.

Combining India and some other off-season league adventure, that puts him at around 200 thousand Canadian or over, which is well above any CPL option. But in any case, Hume is not really from Canada and has no incentive to live here, I imagine he'll be coaching academy in a League Two side, like Tranmere, when he retires. 

Well my last post on RIcketts looked awfully inaccurate in a hurry.?

But that being said, I still think my point holds pretty well. Lithuania is in 41st place in the UEFA League Coefficient. Clearly Ricketts was not going to get an import spot in a higher league. And as someone noted (sorry for not registering who), it is probably better for the league to not inflate salaries early with guys like Ricketts/Edgar, especially given that they may not be that good/dominant. It was my hope that given little higher league interest and possibly only moderate wages in Europe, Ricketts might come down to a more affordable CPL salary. 

The Baltic region is also an amazing place to visit, so I can see the appeal of Lithuania for a couple years. However, this does also remind me of what I think Kyle Bekker said, that some Canadian players are kind of sitting out year one playing wait and see. 

The choice for Lithuania must be on monetary grounds, as football isn't popular over there and as for playing the Champions League, they'd be happy to end up in Europa League. Not blaming the guy, I'd probably make the same choice.

And then CPL won't go away (or so I assume), he can always join next season or if he's lucky enough to get another year of decent pay, the season thereafter. 

I think that after a season, or a bit more, when clubs see they are starved for goals, they'll end up adding 20,000 dollars more for a better striker, maybe push up towards 90,000 or even more for a sure-fire option. But it is best it does not happen just yet.

I'm of the opinion that with all his flaws, Ricketts would be favourite for leading scorer in CPL if a team were to sign him (right now, who is the pick: Haber?).

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think that after a season, or a bit more, when clubs see they are starved for goals, they'll end up adding 20,000 dollars more for a better striker, maybe push up towards 90,000 or even more for a sure-fire option. 

They always do.