Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

50 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

He got released by Derry City FC this following only 12 appearances in Ireland in 2018 - at 25 (soon 26) maybe it is time to come home!

Fisk actually did very well with Derry, he only signed in late June and immediately became a staple in their starting XI. He wasn't released; he chose not to re-sign, to the dismay of most Derry supporters.

But the CPL would be a great home for him. While he did make the jump to Europe last summer, after being out of contact for over half a year he only managed to sign with a professional club because Derry City's manager is Dean Shiels' dad. If he didn't have that connection, he would have had a much harder time getting decent pay and a decent level of play, like plenty of other young Canadians.

6 hours ago, Zem said:

Fisk actually did very well with Derry, he only signed in late June and immediately became a staple in their starting XI. He wasn't released; he chose not to re-sign, to the dismay of most Derry supporters.

But the CPL would be a great home for him. While he did make the jump to Europe last summer, after being out of contact for over half a year he only managed to sign with a professional club because Derry City's manager is Dean Shiels' dad. If he didn't have that connection, he would have had a much harder time getting decent pay and a decent level of play, like plenty of other young Canadians.

I know you are talking about the Ireland move, but to be precise, he went to Spain in 2014 and did two seasons, one with Coruxo who are third tier, same level Piette had been before Impact, and then, like Piettte, to the Deportivo de la Coruña reserve side in fourth tier. 

Folks spoke highly of his play at Edmonton. 

This move does make me wonder about the pay scale at Derry, must be pretty low if the difference was not enough to justify him staying.

Another high level signing for CPL, a guy who has been around, has experience, perhaps has yet to really break out as a pro.

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...This move does make me wonder about the pay scale at Derry, must be pretty low if the difference was not enough to justify him staying...

They averaged about 2000 a game in the 2018 season. The League of Ireland has historically been a semi-pro league and anybody with a bit of talent tended to move to a full-time club in England or Scotland because soccer was not viewed favourably by most Irish nationalists because involvement in it rather than Gaelic football or hurling was viewed as a sign of someone being pro-British. That kind of mentality faded a bit in recent decades and a lot of LoI teams turned full-time during the "Celtic tiger" economy years and the top clubs started to do reasonably OK in the qualifying phase of European competitions until the economic upheaval of 2008. Not sure where things stand at the moment after the Great Recession, but at best probably a mix of semi- and fully pro. He's unlikely to have been making big money playing in that league.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They averaged about 2000 a game in the 2018 season. The League of Ireland has historically been a semi-pro league and anybody with a bit of talent tended to move to a full-time club in England or Scotland because soccer was not viewed favourably by most Irish nationalists because involvement in it rather than Gaelic football or hurling was viewed as a sign of someone being pro-British. That kind of mentality faded a bit in recent decades and a lot of LoI teams turned full-time during the "Celtic tiger" economy years and the top clubs started to do reasonably OK in the qualifying phase of European competitions until the economic upheaval of 2008. Not sure where things stand at the moment after the Great Recession, but at best probably a mix of semi- and fully pro. He's unlikely to have been making big money playing in that league.

Still, to making 50-60 thousand in CPL. 

I just did a quick search news articles say things like in Ireland many clubs in top flight had players on 100 pounds a week still. That clubs had cut back from 52 week contracts to 40 weeks during the recession, and that was only now being restored. And that many top flight players in fact had second sources of income. 

One article from 2016 stated that the average salary in the Irish Premier League was 16 thousand pounds a year.

I'm actually quite shocked, but that helps us get a handle on Fisk happily coming back to CPL conditions.

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Still, to making 50-60 thousand in CPL....

I'm not sure it's even that much. Could easily be as low as 35-40k based on a variety of sources that don't involve dividing a stated operating budget by 20. Derry~Londonderry (as it gets called in public transport announcements to keep both sides happy) isn't exactly the most exciting place to be stuck in and is still prone to the occasional riot at certain times of year, so it's not like he's leaving somewhere like Prague or Barcelona that a lot of people dream about being able to work in for a few years. 

Regarding the 1000 minutes for U21 players, doesn't it send the message to youth Internationals that CPL will most likely give you lots of opportunities and minutes to showcase your talent which could lead to being move higher?

This rules bot only does a lot for talent retention, but attracts international talent looking for minutes and / or escape their current environment (Argentina, Venezuela, Central America etc...)? 

Possible outcomes for a great youth international being develop by CPL

1. Might pursue a Canadian Passport and play for us? 2026 lire

2. Potentially huge transfer to Euro leagues bring both money and increase reputation to CPL.

I like that angle

In reality, the transfer window in Canada hasn't even opened yet and when it does won't close until into May. Everything revolves around England for some people obviously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window#Current_schedules_and_exceptions

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

47 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I really hope it's Adam Straith coming home.

9 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Straith’s contract runs until the end of June.  I think considering he was with Edmonton a few years ago he may come back to Canada again.

He presumably won't be back for a while yet. He's captaining a 3. Liga team and having one of the best spells of his career so far. It would be nice to see him come back eventually, but I'm sure he'd rather keep a good thing going and stay put in Germany for now, if he can.

29 minutes ago, Zem said:

He presumably won't be back for a while yet. He's captaining a 3. Liga team and having one of the best spells of his career so far. It would be nice to see him come back eventually, but I'm sure he'd rather keep a good thing going and stay put in Germany for now, if he can.

I realize I'm incredibly biased, but the prospect of coming home to captain my hometown team in it's inaugural season playing in a new league geared towards World Cup preparations is a little more enticing than spending another year in lower league Germany. He's done that for a decade already. If we can match his wages than I think there's a shot.

1 minute ago, C2SKI said:

I realize I'm incredibly biased, but the prospect of coming home to captain my hometown team in it's inaugural season playing in a new league geared towards World Cup preparations is a little more enticing than spending another year in lower league Germany. He's done that for a decade already. If we can match his wages than I think there's a shot.

i largely agree and i would add playing d1 is like the only thing he has not done. it might be superficial (and it is) but i do think it matters to some guys.

I could be wrong but I've heard it mentioned that Straith is likely earning upwards of $100k playing in Germany - so that would be nearly impossible to match.  I think the way you have to entice guys is to offer them positions after their career i.e. join up with management/coaching after retiring.  

David Edgar is the obvious call as to who it is .. if it's between playing for Carlisle and York/Hamilton that's a pretty easy call to make.  Other than him, how about Petrasso?  Haven't heard anything mentioned about him recently.