Benito Floro's contract will not be renewed

shermanator

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

if we're looking at options with CONCACAF experience how about Luis Fernando Suarez (took Honduras to 2014, 56 years old) or Julio Dely Valdes (took Panama to Gold Cup semi)?

Can I add the name of Mexico's Leonardo Cuellar to the list.

Since Mont Vic yields extreme power in CONCACAF now, surely he can convince higher quality coaches to coach us.  Let's make a pro and con list of the coaches we believe should coach Canada, so far we have the following coaches we'd like

• Jorge Luis Pinto - Colombian - Took Costa Rica to WC QF 2014 and Honduras Olympic team to 2016 Olympic semi's
  • Luis Suarez - Colombian - took Honduras to World Cup 2014 and Ecuador WC 2010
  • Julio Valdes - Panamanian - took Panama to Gold Cup Final in 2013
  • Hernan Gomez - Colombian, currently coach of Panama, coached Colombia and Ecuador to WC 2002, WC 2006
  • Bob Bradley - USA - Took USA to WC 2010 and won Gold Cups
  • Holger Osiek - why not throw his name, as he did OK with Canada - Won Gold Cup 2000, qualified Australia to WC 2014

So far that's a good candidate list to replace Benito Floro and son.  I hope the CSA isn't being a cheap ass and ask them to take Dasovic as assistants or something.

Being relatively new to Canada I don't have much to add for suggestions for coaches based in south/north america.

There are plenty of big names that come to mind otherwise but a) csa probably won't be able or willing to pay the going rate and I'm not sure it's what we need. 

Either way we need someone that can mastermind better results away from home. Seems more likely a coach from the south could do that and st least have the knowledge then coaches from Europe. 

While it isn't a prerequisite to on the pitch success. I really hope the CSA invests to get someone that can really raise the profile of the game in Canada beyond the results on the pitch. Someone with charisma that will command respect and set imaginations alight. 

A hugely important task ahead.  It is a long long term project. Love him or hate him Klinsmann has done great things for the game in the states after bob Bradley's arguably better contribution. I would be surprised if the latter isn't on the shortlist to approach.

Obviously, every candidate has to be judged on their own merits but if we are going to generalize, I wonder whether going the central / south American route makes a lot of sense.  Obviously, the managers that been successful there (many of which are mentioned above) have done well in pressure cooker environments at home as well as preparing sides for the tough environments of away matches in that region.  That being said, I am not sure whether that translates well to a very diverse fragmented country with no national league to draw from and players scattered all over the planet. 

Perhaps the best candidate would be - god forbid I mention it - an American manager who has had success in central America preferably with the national team.  The US is certainly the country that is most similar to us in culture and temperament and that coach would have faced many of the same issues with players scattered around the globe albeit generally of a better quality than ours.  He would also understand a culture where soccer comes down the pecking order in sports coverage and interest.

I keep trying to weigh the good with the bad Floro did, but the bad for me certainly is outweighing the good.

The biggest offense to me, is during important and must win games where we are down, there is never any change of tactics or sense that you need to make a gamble to get points. Systematically, Floro's defensive system worked when it worked, which was often enought to get occasional wins and draws. Just not often enough to get us to the cup with the talent we have, and obviously no where near flexible enough to deal with adversity. I don't know how many times I screamed about Larin being on an island by himself out front with no help. Rarely were offensive minded players selected when things don't go the right way. I get it if it you get behind in the first half you want to stay the course, but at some point you need to accept what you are doing isn't working and change things up.

Now that said, Floro can rightly say "Well, I didn't really have enough time to do much but keep that single system because it's hard for me to get all my desired players together" which is true. I mean, you have 6 MLS players, 3-4 NASL players and then players from 12+ different foriegn leagues. There is going to be issues with getting them all together consistently. Lost in the debate of "Do we have enough good players to make it to the cup" is "Do we have a squad cohesive enough? Are they able to get together and mesh together?" Look at the powerhouses of the world cup, you'll find most rosters are composed either of domestic league players, or players on foreign teams who share clubs.

Of course Floro's player selection was questionable. Many howl at Osario not getting the call, many feel that de Guzman was well past his due date and how wise it is to play Hoilett when hasn't been playing recently? You would think that I can't fault Floro too much on this due to cohesion, because frankly, it's not a simple as picking your best potential players and throwing them in a room together. The problem is Osario wasn't on the team and Ricketts is. Who exactly is taking the roll of Kaka and Rivas feeding Larin on team Canada? Anyone? Then why do we have him alone on an island? The men's team has a very limited amount of time together to work on things, and balancing some of the higher talented foreign players with the less talented but more cohesive domestic players is not an easy line to walk, but some of this stuff seems fairly obvious to me. Now, we didn't hire him to develop our players, because frankly you don't develop players on the national team, you develop players FOR the national team. Yes, you should give some of the youth a shot to prepare them for when they will be needed, but Floro was (at least somewhat) tied down by his personnel.

Here is the thing, we hired him to try to get us to the Cup with what we had, and what we had was scatted all over the place. I don't fault him for running the fairly vanilla defensive system that he did, just that he never made any changes to it ever. I'm willing to give him some rope on his player sections but his ultra conservative play at all times (even when behind) and weird subbing to me falls on his shoulders and warrants his removal. It's not a lot to ask that when you are in a game of high importance (like the El'Salvado and Honduras away games or in the Gold Cup as a whole) that you throw caution to the wind to try and produce offence.

I think Floro was sort of status quo on the best/worst scale. Perhaps because he had a bigger pedigree people were expecting more but in the end I didn't find his tenure very exceptional in either a positive or negative way.

If the CSA had a legit shot at Bob Bradley I think that would make a ton of sense.

Two quick things:

1. Now is the time to start checking out a lot of the young guys, and start building these guys into the team. 

2. I want to find the right manager for where we are right now, and I strongly feel that there isn't a Canadian ready for that job yet. I like the idea of an American, somebody like Bradley, but there are some other great ideas posted here.

Bonus: I feel it is very naive to think that Floro's player selection was woeful. He picked our best, perhaps with the exception of excluding Johnson for the last two games, and we are going to be in for a hell of a lot of disappointment if we think most of the young prospects are anywhere near ready to make a difference at this level. This is a going to be a lengthy process. 

I just actually hope we can establish a core back of 4-5 guys on D over the next 4-6 years.  I mean we barely have any defenders playing regular minutes above a "B or C level" type of league.  Hopefully that changes over the next couple of years.

Floro was this "defensive minded coach" but after watching us play D vs Mexico, Honduras away, & El Salvador at home (up a man), our defense overall was not good!  You could argue player selection/depth, but I still don't feel a 4-1-4-1 is the proper "park the bus", if that is what he was truly going for. 

I appreciate and understand some things Floro did but that was my biggest beef with Floro. You want to play "D/defensive-minded", fine, but at least have your team execute it properly. 

All the best to whoever takes the helm.

6 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Bonus: I feel it is very naive to think that Floro's player selection was woeful. He picked our best, perhaps with the exception of excluding Johnson for the last two games, and we are going to be in for a hell of a lot of disappointment if we think most of the young prospects are anywhere near ready to make a difference at this level. This is a going to be a lengthy process. 

While I agree that he picked our best (Johnson being the only caveat to that), I think his deployment of our best was woeful.  While all our best were somewhere on the team list, they weren't used in a fashion that would be successful.  That's where he fell down.

I am a bit surprised by the amount of posters recommending an American, but admit I am not against it and think there is some logic to it. 

First, there is only one job in the States for MNT and that is hard to nab. For now it goes to a foreigner.

But there are clearly a few guys out there in the States who are qualified and are technically sound and experienced. And a NT job is something for someone who may have club experience and wants something else, later career.

Another thing I like is the possible motivation factor. Any American coach is going to want to do well as he is effectively playing vs his own country, and will want to show well. He knows he will be observed closely in Canada AND the States. Proving that the task can be done, that Canada can make the HEX, win another Gold Cup, will be a good challenge. 

Language has to be a plus, however much we know that high language skills are not the most important thing in coaching. I think, however, that Floro's were a bit below what was needed, maybe less for players than for fans and press, but still. 

Bonuses: My recommendation is that we have to offer a decent salary, but probably are a bit low on budget for most of the Americans being proposed. The way to solve this is with a pure incentive system. Half a million US (not CDN) is about the minimum, we probably have to go higher. And then bonuses for significant accomplishment. But big bonuses, as it comes down to that. Semis at GC and better, HEX, and then WC qualification. Our only way to attract someone of prestige for a 4 year cycle is to raise our economic offer.

The advantage of a S American coach, or Central, is that you can pay less and still get good technical quality, so it might come down to that.

Archived