Benito Floro's contract will not be renewed

shermanator

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I backed off my pro-Floro stance a bit from where I was before on here.  I wouldn't of complained if they gave him another two years but I'm not surprised. Hopefully we get the right person and can continue the progress we've made under Floro.

Right decision, IMO. It was to be expected that he would not be renewed after not making the Hex.

The friendlies in October / November are key here. Continue building chemistry within the squad, hopefully with the return of faces that were not involved in some of all of WCQ (Osorio, Johnson, Teibert as notables) and work some new players in (Chapman, Hamilton, potentially some U-20s)

19 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Right decision, IMO. It was to be expected that he would not be renewed after not making the Hex.

The friendlies in October / November are key here. Continue building chemistry within the squad, hopefully with the return of faces that were not involved in some of all of WCQ (Osorio, Johnson, Teibert as notables) and work some new players in (Chapman, Hamilton, potentially some U-20s)

Those 3 guys should be core players IMO.    I'd also like to see Hamilton and Chapman get a call up.  Hamilton has shown some clinical finishing ability and I could see his role become our backup striker to Larin.

6 minutes ago, gator said:

I'm not sure if I would call it the new era with an interim coach, we should see some younger players getting called  I would think though!

Maybe not quite the new era yet but hopefully some fresh ideas.   I am hoping when they name a new coach he allows the players a bit of freedom.

We need to see some MLS players that are young and getting playing time like Osorio, Teibert, Larin, Akindele, Aird, Alphonso Davies, Froese, Chapman, Hamilton, Bekker. Mix in the veterans like Johnson, Edgar and De Jong. Throw in some Champions League players like Borjan and Hutchinson and a couple youth players on top clubs in Europe like Tomori, Zanatta, Josh Doughty and Liam Miller and were are cruising

The right decision as long as the goal is to upgrade on Floro and the CSA resists all the pressure to hire a Canadian or Canadian based coach. I am not against a Canadian coach in principal but there is no one who has a coaching CV even close to being what we should consider for national team coach. A few of the top MLS current or former coaches might be acceptable choices like Bradley, Schmid, Arena or Marsh but I think there are should be even better candidates available.

Hallelujah, no more piss defending futbol, as if Canadian can only defend.  I advocate a coach who advocates an attacking philosophy, preferably Latin Ameeican like  Jose pinto.  We need to develop more attacking strategies, even if we lack attacking players.  Time to shed that stereotype that Canadian can't dribble, shoot and start slowly developing a new style

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Well, that ends that debate!

Onwards and upwards!

I never joined in on the debates on the "Floro must go" thread as for me it was pretty much an academic consideration. It was obvious this was going to happen, and if we do not want a soccer culture where failure  is considered acceptable, then this had to happen.

I'd guess I'd be more sympathetic if he didn't take the risk of deliberately not calling some of our best players - but that's what he chose to do and we weren't successful with it.

I do wish him & his son the best for their future.

Archived