Benito Floro's contract will not be renewed

shermanator

17 hours ago, Yohan said:

Bob Bradley was never in the picture as long as he had aspirations to manage a top tier European club.

Of course not, we now realize he was in the market for a 2-3 million pound contract at an EPL club, smart, since there are a lot of coaching changes happening, at Villa too one tier down. All these clubs are going to pay way over our capacity, we have to be thinking about another profile of coach.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the jokes and all, but sometimes you play well precisely because there is nothing to play for, at all. Because you have zero pressure and the tension is off. Funny, Findlay says we need to play away or at home, under pressure always, but the best result in recent years was in neither of those circumstances.

IMO we were not objectively better than in other matches, but the rival was a lot worse than when we first faced them, wonder what happened with them?

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I get the jokes and all, but sometimes you play well precisely because there is nothing to play for, at all. Because you have zero pressure and the tension is off. Funny, Findlay says we need to play away or at home, under pressure always, but the best result in recent years was in neither of those circumstances.

IMO we were not objectively better than in other matches, but the rival was a lot worse than when we first faced them, wonder what happened with them?

Probably coaching!

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also, I'd add that had they scored their PK in the first half it could have been a really different story.  We could have easily lost again.. it's just one of those things where we came out to play early in the second half, they didn't and it was game over from there.  We really weren't good at all in the first half.  

2 hours ago, matty said:

translation: "The day when Canada will call me, I'll drop everything to go lead this team."

I like Dos Santos but not even close to ready for the national team job. He needs at least 10 more years of success as a coach at a higher level than NASL. He should not even be on the list of potential candidates at this point (though the same could be said for a lot of others being named on various lists). 

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Dos Santos is likely the best option if the CSA choose to sign a domestic coach, but I agree that he is not ready to coach the national team.

I dunno if he is right now but in a few years could see him outright being it

I think the lack of experience might not be so bad in our current state. We tried the experienced, let me use my old game planning and fizzed out. Fearless and fresh idea's and strategy may be just what is needed. I'm not saying I want someone coming in and implementing ridiculous off the board tactics but maybe someone that doesn't over think it and is a players coach (which I would guess Dos Santos is) could be good.

For everyone saying maybe "we don't need so much experience" because Floro failed. Please stop. Having someone who has a decent amount MLS or CONCACAF coaching experience should be viewed as a must for Canada's next hire and dos Santos, while OK, isn't near what is needed right now and shouldn't be viewed as de facto #1 Canadian contender for the gig.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Dos Santos is likely the best option if the CSA choose to sign a domestic coach, but I agree that he is not ready to coach the national team.

Lodeweges and Van't Schip should both be considered better domestic options than Dos Santos at the moment.

8 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Lodeweges and Van't Schip should both be considered better domestic options than Dos Santos at the moment.

I'd exclude  Van't Schip and maybe add Watson. Great deal of experience coaching with the CanMNT and in MLS but he's also a little too green like dos Santos.

20 minutes ago, matty said:

I'd exclude  Van't Schip and maybe add Watson. Great deal of experience coaching with the CanMNT and in MLS but he's also a little too green like dos Santos.

Why would you exclude Van't Schip? The guy actually has head coaching experience, something Watson is mostly lacking.

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Why would you exclude Van't Schip? The guy actually has head coaching experience, something Watson is mostly lacking.

I meant as a domestic (I really need to be clearer with my points because that's the second time today).

There are several parts to this hiring including the other positions that get hired with it. 

Should people like Dos Santos be involved? Absolutely, but not as head coach. Does De Vos have the experience and credentials to really do his job? Time will tell. Again I think that former players or not that have worked through coaching qualifications and have both a passion and something to offer to growing canadian soccer should be involved. I'd just like us to be hiring a few proven bodies to work with our Canadian coaches and admin. 

The head coach should be someone everyone can look to for experience and guidance and really setting up the program going forward for the next decade. It's a massive hire and we have to go all in to lure the right person for the job.

Archived