Benito Floro's contract will not be renewed

shermanator

Floro brought a club side mentality to the NT.  I honestly didn't have a problem with that so long as the role players he was using to execute his game plan were playing regularly at club level and in relatively decent form.  Unfortunately, some of the guys he relied upon looked off the pace and ineffective because they weren't playing first team minutes.  And as I mentioned in another thread, what was the point of bringing in Hainault as an 8th CB?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On September 17, 2016 at 3:56 PM, RJB said:

I think it's worth noting that many managers (including many discussed here) cannot handle being a national team manager.  No, I don't mean the pressure, I mean having so much down time.  Look at Conte with Italy: he left mainly because he didn't have the opportunity to spend as much time with his players.  Basically, he got bored.  And Mourinho has said in the past that a national team manager should be in the later stages of their career, so as to not miss the day-in day-out so much.  

I dont know why there is such reluctance (around the world) to give the job to a coach who is already coaching a club and let him coach both.   This came up few years ago (as i recall) with scotland as they pondered this.    Is there really enough work between international dates to keep an NT coach busy? Especially in North america?   In europe when WCQ and WC ends, euro qualifying starts immediately so there is a bit more of a consistancy. But outside Europe, there are long gap whereby you are paying a guy anywhere from 200-500k a year to do nothing for most of the year.  Plus they have a staff of assistant coaches.  

The downside is that this setup would practically rule out any coach from outside North america. 

On September 18, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree with this in principle,  the only real exception is if you really have a guy working technically with the FA in question and deeply involved in everything from U-17 up, busy, active, scouting, working on training and models, engaged with the regions. 

Our problem is that someone who would be ready to handle that would be likely Canadian, or quick to tune in and engage, but we do not have the quality at home for the senior MNT.

Yes, thats another option.   Why not give the guy the reins to the senior team and olympic and u20 teams? Makes sence to me.   That way you establish a conistency in familiarity play and tactics.  Also, Maybe that way they get to see players more, they wont get bored, and they will earn thier paycheque. 

13 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Just out of curiosity, how much time did Floro and son spend in Canada/North America?

Floro began as coach on August 1st 2013. http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-soccer-association-announces-benito-floro-as-new-men-s-national-team-head-coach-p154405

He was in Canada/USA before that to look at what Miller was doing during the last Gold Cup.

He also had "North American" coaching experience from 1999-2001 at C.F. Monterrey in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Floro

32 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Floro began as coach on August 1st 2013. http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian-soccer-association-announces-benito-floro-as-new-men-s-national-team-head-coach-p154405

He was in Canada/USA before that to look at what Miller was doing during the last Gold Cup.

He also had "North American" coaching experience from 1999-2001 at C.F. Monterrey in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Floro

I meant from Aug 1/13 onward.  How much time does he spend in NA during the domestic league seasons here, how much in Europe (or elsewhere?) during the seasons there?  I'm just curious, in relation to earlier posts, what his duties included during times when he wasn't directly involved with the team for matches.

2 hours ago, matty said:

True but now let's get our hopes up for Sam Allardyce now that he has no job and is disgraced :D 

Allardyce would not be a good idea; just like another famous coach - Raymond Domenech - who is also kinda free - would be a disaster.

I'd take Marcelo Bielsa even though he is crazier than Floro; might be a disaster too though.

I want to see us get a coaches coach. Someone who will come and make all of our coaches better. Teach us new styles and systems.

The dream for me is Carlo Ancelotti. His wife is Canadian and apparently he loves Vancouver. He is getting older and although at Bayern right now, it doesn't look to me like a long-term appointment. Maybe a year or two.

10 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

I want to see us get a coaches coach. Someone who will come and make all of our coaches better. Teach us new styles and systems.

The dream for me is Carlo Ancelotti. His wife is Canadian and apparently he loves Vancouver. He is getting older and although at Bayern right now, it doesn't look to me like a long-term appointment. Maybe a year or two.

Jesus christ. Carlo ancelotti would be a dream. 

Never knew his wife was canadian. That would explain why he was in vancouver for one of our wcq games. 

23 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Just looked her up, she went to Simon Fraser then went on to finance career in the UK. I wonder how they met. 

Ancelloti's wife is from West Van, I think, they had their wedding ceremony there in the summer of 2014. They have a beachfront home in West Van, I believe it is in that section after Dundarave, between 25th (EDIT) and 29th on Bellevue. 

He appeared on a video screen at BC Place a couple times that summer and last summer as well, obviously invited by the club to a box. 

Don't think it is so odd to consider for Caps, depending on how things work out it could end up as a retirement job, though, frankly, coaching lower level soccer is in fact more stressful. And travel is worse in North America. But still, I would not count it out. 

I was watching the Pep documentary earlier this week and you can see the effect that Johan Cruyff has had and now Pep Guardiola. Out of Johan Cruyff's old players, you have Ronald Koeman, Michael Laudrup, Pep Guardiola to name just a few of the players that went on to be very good coaches. The same can be said of Wolfgang Frank, a lesser coach in the Bundesliga but led to Tuchel, Klopp and others learning from him and becoming very good coaches themselves. Even Guus Hiddink has inspired good coaches down in Australia.

I would say much of our current crop of Canadian coaches were inspired by Holger Osiek. I know that is a combination of success (Even if the coach wasn't a great teacher of future coaches, the fact that the player won something naturally leads to more opportunities to succeed in coaching) and having a good teacher, but getting a great coaching teachers makes sense to me right now. At least until the Gold Cup. I disagree with some that say now is the time for a Canadian coach. I think we need to have Canadian Assistance coaches, and Canadian Youth coaches but I think we could still use someone at the very pinnacle of the game that is going to bring us some success on the pitch and help us create that national identity.

If you get a chance to watch November 16, the documentary on the Australian qualification, you see the admiration that the players have for Guus Hiddink and how Guus brings Australians into the fold who have helped run the team since his time. Lars Lagerback is another example. He basically trained Heimer Hallgrimsson to take over for him. 

17 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

I was watching the Pep documentary earlier this week and you can see the effect that Johan Cruyff has had and now Pep Guardiola. Out of Johan Cruyff's old players, you have Ronald Koeman, Michael Laudrup, Pep Guardiola to name just a few of the players that went on to be very good coaches. 

You could also name Eusebio Sacristan who is at Real Sociedad, Oscar Garcia who was at Brighton and left for health reasons, is now at Red Bull Salzburg, Cruyff's son is in Tel Aviv, Beguiristain is running things at Man City, Abelardo is at Sporting Gijon, Luis Enrique.

Thing is, you'd want a great coach at an MLS team giving time and play and winning, to get a full inspired generation. Winning or playing very well and being close (for me Dallas in MLS right now is the best coached team), and over a period of time, and you can inspire future coaches. 

We've never had that thread or discussed it here: which CMNT member has had the highest quality coaching in his career?

Archived