Benito Floro's contract will not be renewed

shermanator

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

In jest, I know, but it would be really interesting to know how much of a role he did play in those recruitments (and I mean stuff that would not have otherwise happened with a different Canada-calibre coach).  I think you can make a pretty decent argument either way, but at this point it is all pure speculation.

Others on this board have said that most of the work was done by others in the organization, so I'm not assigning much credit to him other than having an impressive enough resume when googled to make the program not look as bush league as it used to be

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Complete Homer said:

Others on this board have said that most of the work was done by others in the organization, so I'm not assigning much credit to him other than having an impressive enough resume when googled to make the program not look as bush league as it used to be

That is kind of where I am at, as well.  I have said it elsewhere that I think a player's age, circumstance, and realistic alternatives/prospects likely play a far bigger role in their decision-making process.

Not saying he takes the job or even is a fit.  What do you guys think about Miguel Herrera.

Realize he is a character with his sideline antics but that could potentially be a good thing for mainstream fans/hype etc. former Mexican team coach.  Mexico in my opinion has regained the Kings of Concacaf title.

Helped Mexico regroup and had a pretty decent World Cup. Went undefeated in group stage (Brazil,Cameroon,Croatia) and got burned hard by Robben's dive in the quarter finals, otherwise very likely could have made it to the semi's. Won the last Gold Cup, mind you with controversy, but they still won it.

Has the Mexico LX and concacaf qualifying experience which some of us wanted as both a player and manager.

Not sure he would be even interested or how much he'd cost but I could see him wanting to coach on the international stage again. He's been managing since 2002 with mixed results but since 2011 he has been fairly successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Herrera

Regardless his passion would be entertaining to watch and I would seen him as a massive upgrade over Floro with more experience in the areas that we require.

The thing I like about Herrera is he really allows and helps/tries to create space for his quality players.  I'm sure he would bring creative guys like Osorio, Aleman, Tiebert etc back into the mix, while trying to open up space for guys like Arfield on the field to bag goals. That's my 2 cents.  I would approve of the hire. :)  I just know he prefers the 3-5-2.... not sure if we have that player ability but maybe.  At the same, he is never afraid to adjust formations etc, so I am sure he would be able to get the best out of our player pool.  I don't see him ever wanting to play a long striker up top except maybe vs mexico where he'd line us up as a 5-4-1 instead of the 4-1-4-1.

56 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Pretty much guaranteed to get an interim. Mont Vic said they are not going to rush and are going to do an exhaustive search. No way that's completed by Oct FIFA dates. 

Yeah, and last time it took a good deal of time before Floro was named.

5 hours ago, jpg75 said:

A good Liga MX coach is probably going to cost too much. 

Likely but you never know. There is pressure on them, from both fans and the media, to hire somebody with a strong track record of success in either MLS or CONCACAF. That pressure could result in the CSA investing a great deal more money than they've previously spent on a coach.

20 hours ago, The Beaver said:

No idea, but if It was my choice of this lot I MIGHT consider Dos Santos or Biello. How about you?

The first of those, good picks...though maybe with a bit more experience the second will prove even better. 

Still, I think that neither is what we need right now, I'd love for things to be different one day, but we are a bit of a ways from seeing Canadian managers doing top notch work.

As far as the goal being to make the HEX, making the World Cup would have been pure gravy. I prefer to think of that as the expectation put on Floro and the team. An expectation that wasn't met, which further justifies his removal.

Now this might seem odd...but what about going with a Mexican coach? I'm sure that you could find one of reasonable ability for a resonable cost who certainly understands Central America and how to operate and prepare there. Just a bit of a whimsy thought.

Edit: Didn't see Matt's post...yeah I suppose cost might be an issue. As would language barrier.

I think it's worth noting that many managers (including many discussed here) cannot handle being a national team manager.  No, I don't mean the pressure, I mean having so much down time.  Look at Conte with Italy: he left mainly because he didn't have the opportunity to spend as much time with his players.  Basically, he got bored.  And Mourinho has said in the past that a national team manager should be in the later stages of their career, so as to not miss the day-in day-out so much.  

15 hours ago, RJB said:

I think it's worth noting that many managers (including many discussed here) cannot handle being a national team manager.  No, I don't mean the pressure, I mean having so much down time.  Look at Conte with Italy: he left mainly because he didn't have the opportunity to spend as much time with his players.  Basically, he got bored.  And Mourinho has said in the past that a national team manager should be in the later stages of their career, so as to not miss the day-in day-out so much.  

I agree with this in principle,  the only real exception is if you really have a guy working technically with the FA in question and deeply involved in everything from U-17 up, busy, active, scouting, working on training and models, engaged with the regions. 

Our problem is that someone who would be ready to handle that would be likely Canadian, or quick to tune in and engage, but we do not have the quality at home for the senior MNT.

Archived