Jayson Leutwiler

KidCanada

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Raya will avoid surgery that will take him out for 6-8 weeks and wait until the end of the season to do that

Decision to be made tomorrow who starts, hopefully Leutwiler gets a second start 

• 2 weeks later...

Back to being glued to the bench. As a back up to David Raya, he’s more or less fulfilled his role with the club. The coach is very happy with his work ethic in practice and after his contract ends this year; The Blackburn Rovers have an option on him should they choose keep him.

If you’re Jayson, do you remain knowing you won’t get any playing time but with a great salary and look to the future financially or move elsewhere in order to elevate his career while still being 30 years old?

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

Back to being glued to the bench. As a back up to David Raya, he’s more or less fulfilled his role with the club. The coach is very happy with his work ethic in practice and after his contract ends this year; The Blackburn Rovers have an option on him should they choose keep him.

If you’re Jayson, do you remain knowing you won’t get any playing time but with a great salary and look to the future financially or move elsewhere in order to elevate his career while still being 30 years old?

If he's 30, time to move on I'd say.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, HochelagaFC said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17485120.rovers-boss-considers-rayas-position-after-sticky-patch/

Blackburn’s goalkeeper David Raya is having a rough patch right now. 

There is a possibility that maybe Leutwiler plays soon.

I posted this a few weeks ago, since I check their results: they get scored on a lot, they are often bombed by the opposition. I asked on one thread if anyone knew what that was all about. We all know it could be coaching style, defense, overall play. But I'd say: if Raya is giving up between 2 and 3 a game, maybe they want to shake things up a bit. 

• 1 month later...

Now that Blackburn is in the "nothing to play for zone", (they cannot make the promotion playoffs and they cannot get relegated), Jayson is being given starts. He played last week vs QPR, made a mistake which led to a last minute goal for them although Blackburn won.

Starting again in the game that kicks off in 15 minutes. I hope he plays well and starts the last two games of the season too.

If Leutwiler plays those last two games (for 4 in a row), do you think he can sneak past Thomas and reclaim the 3rd place keeper spot?

Remember, he was 3rd choice for OZ during the 2017 Gold Cup.

Coincidentally, Simon Thomas in on the bench for KFUM-Kameratene Oslo right now.  (Norway 2nd tier).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If Leutwiler plays those last two games (for 4 in a row), do you think he can sneak past Thomas and reclaim the 3rd place keeper spot?

Coincidentally, Simon Thomas in on the bench for KFUM-Kameratene Oslo right now.  (Norway 2nd tier).

IMO any Canadian professional goalkeeper playing week-in week-out beats Thomas for third goalie ATM.

Leutwiller is a definite option, but why not Irving,  Ranjitsingh (ok, not playing ATM but with the extra benefit of a possible captie) or one of the new star CPL 'keepers?

Edited by shamrock

17 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

and it is easier to call up a local player.

1) For friendlies yes...for a tournament the difference in cost is not that big.

2) The 40-man Gold Cup squad is due on May 17th. There are therefore only 11 (maybe 12) CanPL matches that will have taken place before that date that you can use to judge who should make it in the squad.

2 to 4 games per team.

So we will need to decide which 4 keepers to call with that limited information.

I assume 99% will say that Borjan is the first choice.

I will also assume that most will want Crépeau at the Gold Cup.

So it's a fight for those other two spots (which will then become one spot for the 23-man squad).

1. Borjan

2. Crépeau

3. ???????????

(40-man provisional list) 4. ???????????

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) For friendlies yes...for a tournament the difference in cost is not that big.

2) The 40-man Gold Cup squad is due on May 17th. There are therefore only 11 (maybe 12) CanPL matches that will have taken place before that date that you can use to judge who should make it in the squad.

2 to 4 games per team.

So we will need to decide which 4 keepers to call with that limited information.

I assume 99% will say that Borjan is the first choice.

I will also assume that most will want Crépeau at the Gold Cup.

So it's a fight for those other two spots (which will then become one spot for the 23-man squad).

1. Borjan

2. Crépeau

3. ???????????

(40-man provisional list) 4. ???????????

Spot on! Was thinking th the exact same thing.

If Simon Thomas does not play from here until May17th when the provisional roster is due then he's not in consideration.

Jayson Leutwiler just played his 3rd game this season in the Championship and 2nd consecutive, No appearances in Cup competitions.The last two matches are vs 1st placed Norwich city and 10th placed Swansea, perhaps David Raya will get the call there. Although keeping a clean sheet vs Bolton in a 2-0 win has to do something for Herdman to take notice. The others for me would be Dayne St. Clair - 21 year old GK with Minnesota United and the projected Started for Canada at the Olympic qualifying tournament as well as who shows best in the CPL's first 12 games. Carducci, Roberts, Ingham, Farago, etc

Edited by Blackjack15

Dayne St. Clair - 21 year old GK with Minnesota United 

Is he playing for Minnesota United this season or is he playing for Madison in USL ONE (3rd tier)?

http://www.forwardmadisonfc.com/team-roster

Jayson Leutwiler...last two matches are vs 1st placed Norwich city and 10th placed Swansea, perhaps David Raya will get the call there.

I would hope they give Leutwiler a chance again; playing away at League-leaders Norwich would be a proper test for him; Norwich will likely be a little hungry because a single point on Saturday will guarantee them promotion to the Premier League. 

The second game hosting Swansea is rather meaningless; both teams being in the "can't be promoted, can't be relegated" zone.

19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Is he playing for Minnesota United this season of is he playing for Madison in USL ONE (3rd tier)?

http://www.forwardmadisonfc.com/team-roster

Yes he is on loan at Forward Madison FC of the newly formed USL League One. Although being the MVP GK of the NCAA in 2018, selected at 7th overall in the SuperDraft. He played the first game of the season in a 1-0 loss, made 2/3 good saves; then picked up an injury at training and as a result dropped from the 18' match day squad. Let's see if he can get himself back in there! Although he has tremendous potential. Like I said before, he is leading the way for The U23's right now ahead of Pantemis and Busti/Hasal for the Olympic qualifying in October. It's fair to say that USL1 will be the same level of play/quality than CPL so we have to take him into consideration. That and the fact that he's on a MLS Roster and it's not a Canadian one, that in itself should tell you something. Kid wasn't chosen for no reason, I've seen footage of him and the ceiling is high, of course we have to see how he does week to week from now until May17th. Borjan is 31, Crepeau is 25 and St Clair is 21. We have to get younger I believe, after 2022; Milan will no longer be there and Thomas/Leutwiler as well. Crepeau is able to make it to 2026, never too early to try and expand the goalkeeping pool and look for new talents, I believe Dayne is one of them.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I would hope they give Leutwiler a chance again; playing away at League-leaders Norwich would be a proper test for him; Norwich will likely be a little hungry because a single point on Saturday will guarantee them promotion to the Premier League. 

The second game hosting Swansea is rather meaningless; both teams being in the "can't be promoted, can't be relegated" zone.

I could see Raya playing vs Norwich and Leutwiler getting the nod against Swansea, either way who knows if 4/5 games this season in the championship is enough to convince Herdman to bring him to the gold cup as the 3rd stringer

Edited by Blackjack15

Here's how this board works. 

David Raya plays the whole season for Blackburn, letting in tons of goals, not saving many results for them, they are in mid-table and far from their objectives. No one actually tunes in to watch, because why would they, but it does not look like a good year for the guy.

Leutwiler plays a match, they win, he is at fault on the rival goal, he gets slagged by Canadian fans. He plays another, shutout. So far a better stat than the starter, who is American which is why we Canadians let him wipe his boots clean off our shins. No one comments on Jayson's performance, presumibly because anyone interested would only watch the rival of Blackburn, not the team itself. 

Voyageurs then project that Raya will get the starts for the serious games left, and that Leutwiler has no place on our Gold Cup team. 

Change name of player, team, circumstances, and repeat indefinitely until the board and our death do us part.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 4/23/2019 at 2:20 AM, Blackjack15 said:

Made 2 saves, and one was right at right him the other one was fine. Bolton are already relegated into League One; this game was very very meaningless. See for yourself in the highlights

Yes, "this game was very very meaningless". 

Because with David Raya in goal the whole year they did shit all, failed their objectives, let in tons of goals, and are in no man's land. 

The quickness with which Canadian fans grovel and beg at the feet of anything American is astounding. And the glaring contradictions.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 4/22/2019 at 7:42 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Here's how this board works. 

David Raya plays the whole season for Blackburn, letting in tons of goals, not saving many results for them, they are in mid-table and far from their objectives. No one actually tunes in to watch, because why would they, but it does not look like a good year for the guy.

Leutwiler plays a match, they win, he is at fault on the rival goal, he gets slagged by Canadian fans. He plays another, shutout. So far a better stat than the starter, who is American which is why we Canadians let him wipe his boots clean off our shins. No one comments on Jayson's performance, presumibly because anyone interested would only watch the rival of Blackburn, not the team itself. 

Voyageurs then project that Raya will get the starts for the serious games left, and that Leutwiler has no place on our Gold Cup team. 

Change name of player, team, circumstances, and repeat indefinitely until the board and our death do us part.

If you are including me in the list of fans slagging him without good reason you are sadly mistaken, I probably saw more minutes that he played than anyone on here because I order QPR on PPV every Saturday and the only match he had previously played was at home to QPR, I have been accused of seeing things through Red and White tinted glasses and truly hoped he put in a good performance at Loftus Road but still lost, it pains me to say he was awful in that match even though Rovers won! As noted in my review he flapped at corners, had poor distribution and the QPR goal as you can see by the highlights was on him! I think I am as objective as possible on this and really hope he can get a run and gets some form to move on if necessary, I may be able to send you the full match if you still doubt me! If I wasn't included in your summarizing post please disregard this rant! 😀

12 hours ago, gator said:

If you are including me in the list of fans slagging him without good reason you are sadly mistaken, I probably saw more minutes that he played than anyone on here because I order QPR on PPV every Saturday and the only match he had previously played was at home to QPR, I have been accused of seeing things through Red and White tinted glasses and truly hoped he put in a good performance at Loftus Road but still lost, it pains me to say he was awful in that match even though Rovers won! As noted in my review he flapped at corners, had poor distribution and the QPR goal as you can see by the highlights was on him! I think I am as objective as possible on this and really hope he can get a run and gets some form to move on if necessary, I may be able to send you the full match if you still doubt me! If I wasn't included in your summarizing post please disregard this rant! 😀

Yes, but how was David Raya this year? 

Without watching Blackburn, the stat line looks like he was shit. And he had plenty of minutes to stop being shit and still was shit, he practiced shit, ran his defence shit, was overall shit. 

Jayson had a shitty day--big difference!

On 4/22/2019 at 7:29 PM, Blackjack15 said:

I could see Raya playing vs Norwich and Leutwiler getting the nod against Swansea...

Leutwiler getting the start again against Norwich!

http://www.twitter.com/Rovers/status/1122191168366960640

18 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Leutwiler getting the start again against Norwich!

http://www.twitter.com/Rovers/status/1122191168366960640

FT - Norwich 2-1 Blackburn | The Canaries promoted back to the Premier League 

Okay so, this is the summery on the video below; Had absolute no chance on either goal, both were screamers. However, he made 3 BIG Saves! One off the line, one in close range and last one was a bicycle kick attempt. 

Considering just how meaningful this game was and Leutwiler's performance; in my opinion I would say he's earned enough to show he's the 3rd GK at the GC behind Borjan and Crepeau. In my view this absolutely puts him ahead of Thomas

I guarantee you that Herdman watched the game and will add him to the 40 man provisional roster that's due May 18th. It's the English Championship after all

Also, happy belated birthday! Jayson turned 30 this week, good age for a Goalkeeper; entering his prime 

Awesome to see him do well, hope he moves to move elsewhere so that he can play as a starter next season

Edited by Blackjack15

At this point, he is probably my 3rd keeper at the Gold Cup.  40 man provisional roster for sure and would love to see him get some game time in a friendly.  However, the longer we wait, the less likely I think we're playing more than 1 friendly before the tournament.  At least two friendlies will be nice to get some fringe players some National Team playing exposure.