Jayson Leutwiler

KidCanada

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Like @Strait Red I was thinking this is likely his last camp lol

We have some great talent coming through. Having some veteran leadership is important though.

I'm not sure it will be his last but we will have an in-form Sirois we can call from the CanPL or Pantemis or Hasal or others.

League 2 England tends to keep playing during FIFA dates and I don't see him travelling for Sept/Oct/Nov.

Maybe Jan/Feb or March 2022 when the MLS & CanPL guys may be more out of season.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another tough day for Leutwiler apparently. 2-1 loss away to Northampton. Leutweiler gets a 5.0 on FotMob. They’ve won one game in their last 9, and now sit in 22nd in League Two - 2 points clear of relegation. 

Can’t see him ever breaking his way back in with so many talented guys ahead of him on the depth chart, but massive respect to him for coming to so many camps as the third keeper despite being all but guaranteed never to play.

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

Another tough day for Leutwiler apparently. 2-1 loss away to Northampton. Leutweiler gets a 5.0 on FotMob. They’ve won one game in their last 9, and now sit in 22nd in League Two - 2 points clear of relegation. 

Can’t see him ever breaking his way back in with so many talented guys ahead of him on the depth chart, but massive respect to him for coming to so many camps as the third keeper despite being all but guaranteed never to play.

This brings up a good point about how bad Canada's keeper depth is. There is a massive drop off after our top 2 guys.

Leutwiler is still at least in the top 6 of our depth chart.

Pantemis and Breza are still basically prospects. St. Clair has barely played this year.

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

This brings up a good point about how bad Canada's keeper depth is. There is a massive drop off after our top 2 guys.

Leutwiler is still at least in the top 6 of our depth chart.

Pantemis and Breza are still basically prospects. St. Clair has barely played this year.

At this point I would argue he’s 7th.

1. Borjan (34)
  2. Crépeau (27)
  3. Breza (23)
  4. Pantemis (24)
  5. St. Clair (24)
  6. Hasal (22)
  7. Leutwiler (32)

Could quibble with him being below Hasal, but I think we’d be splitting hairs between an inconsistent MLS backup and an inconsistent League Two starter. 

It just looks worse because there’s only 1 spot on the field to fill. Who is our 14th choice centre back or fullback? I couldn’t tell you without really thinking about it. 

3 hours ago, footballfreak said:

1. Borjan (34)
  2. Crépeau (27)
  3. Breza (23)
  4. Pantemis (24)
  5. St. Clair (24)
  6. Hasal (22)
  7. Leutwiler (32)

Could quibble with him being below Hasal, but I think we’d be splitting hairs between an inconsistent MLS backup and an inconsistent League Two starter. 

It just looks worse because there’s only 1 spot on the field to fill. Who is our 14th choice centre back or fullback? I couldn’t tell you without really thinking about it. 

You could even throw Tom McGill (Brighton) in there. U23 Premier League is probably similar quality to Top Half of League 2 / Bottom Half of League 1. 

5 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

^+/- Carducci and/or other top CPL keepers. who I'd personally rate above Hasal at this point.

Maybe. Hasal is 3 years younger, and still has more upside imo if he can regain what he was showing before his injuries. Flashes of brilliance at MLS is Back. He’s also only a year removed from a pretty serious head injury/broken tibia and was still suffering post concussion symptoms months later. Not sure how he’s doing now. Ideally, I’d like to see the Whitecaps keep him and send him out on loan to get more time next year. With Crépeau away with the national team less next season, there probably won’t be many opportunities to get game time.

13 hours ago, footballfreak said:

1. Borjan (34)
  2. Crépeau (27)
  3. Breza (23)
  4. Pantemis (24)
  5. St. Clair (24)
  6. Hasal (22)
  7. Leutwiler (32)

I'm obviously splitting hairs here as well, but god forbid we ever got to the situation where our first 5 options were all unavailable I think that Herdman would lean on the side of experience. 

In Hasal's little MLS playing time, I don't think he's shown much and it's been awhile since his most recent starts. I'd take Leutwiler over Hasal just for the sake of freshness, and I would even bring Simon Thomas back into the fold if we were reaching that deep. A case could be made for Marco Carducci in that mix as well.

I think back to the 2015 Gold Cup where 35 year old Kenny Stamatopoulos had to step up and was easily our player of the tournament. He also wasn't playing much at his club, but at least he brought that veteran poise.

5 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'm obviously splitting hairs here as well, but god forbid we ever got to the situation where our first 5 options were all unavailable I think that Herdman would lean on the side of experience. 

In Hasal's little MLS playing time, I don't think he's shown much and it's been awhile since his most recent starts. I'd take Leutwiler over Hasal just for the sake of freshness, and I would even bring Simon Thomas back into the fold if we were reaching that deep. A case could be made for Marco Carducci in that mix as well.

I think back to the 2015 Gold Cup where 35 year old Kenny Stamatopoulos had to step up and was easily our player of the tournament. He also wasn't playing much at his club, but at least he brought that veteran poise.

The only criticism I would have of that line of thinking is that I don’t really see a justification for the split being at number 5.

St. Clair has 20 starts in MLS, Hasal has 17. Hasal played more games this year and played better. I put St. Clair higher on the depth chart just because of his stint last year, but right now it’s basically a push.

What I’m saying is Leutwiler is either 5 or he’s 7. 

Leutwiler is on a terrible team and doesn't sound like he's been particularly good either.  Add in that he has been on 3 clubs in 2021 and 4 clubs since 2020.  I will second@footballfreak remark about him continuously coming to Canada camps from Europe just to be our 3rd string keeper, especially given he was not born in Canada, nor did he ever live in Canada by my recollection (but I could be wrong).  However, given MLS & CPL will be out of season, I absolutely could see him being called in for the games as 3rd choice keeper.  Borjan is obvious 1st choice plus he's in season.  Crepeau is clearly going to be our 2nd option, even out of season given the quality drop after him.  St. Clair did not play much, nor did he play well this season.  Same goes for Hasal.  Pantemis did play more than the rest but he was poor in many matches in my opinion.  Personally, I like Breza and think he is possibly our 3rd best keeper right now but may be out of season as well.  

I could see Leutwiler being called in for January given he has been involved in more games & camps than all other possible keepers that will all likely be out of season.  However, I could also easily see this being his last call up for a while because I do feel that we are going to have some breakthrough performances from our Keepers in MLS & CPL next season.  I would expect a couple of Pantemis, St. Clair, Breza, Hasal, Carducci or Sirois breakthrough next summer.  I would love to see any one of those above end up in Toronto next season as well.  Hopefully 2 or 3 of those 6 above are regular starters next season.

43 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

The only criticism I would have of that line of thinking is that I don’t really see a justification for the split being at number 5.

St. Clair has 20 starts in MLS, Hasal has 17. Hasal played more games this year and played better. I put St. Clair higher on the depth chart just because of his stint last year, but right now it’s basically a push.

What I’m saying is Leutwiler is either 5 or he’s 7. 

That may plainly be my bias. I watched a lot of DSC last year, and thought he would make the jump to near Max Crepeau level this season (clearly didn't happen, whether or not it was due to a lack of opportunity or not). I honestly would've put him above Pantemis.

But yeah, I think I'm in agreeance about either 5th or 7th. If the any of the top two keepers are available, I'd expect the young ones come to camp as the second/third string. 

58 minutes ago, Corazon said:

, especially given he was not born in Canada, nor did he ever live in Canada by my recollection (but I could be wrong). 

What does this have to do with anything?  He is still Canadian, no?  Whether he should be called up instead of a North American based player is another thing...

18 minutes ago, Buchta said:

What does this have to do with anything?  He is still Canadian, no?  Whether he should be called up instead of a North American based player is another thing...

I am just saying that he has always answered the call to be our 3rd string keeper for several camps over the years with very little connection to Canada at all.  Travelling across the world and to almost 99% of the time never see game action for Canada and to be away from his family.  He still always has the pride to always take that call.  I'm just saying that there are players in that position in the latter part of their career that don't take those calls.

As for the "He is still Canadian" part that I bolded above, I literally just tried to justify why/how he might be included for the January camp.  So obviously I still firmly believe and support him being part of our program.

I'm not sure how but I'm sorry if that comment offended you.

Edited by Corazon

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2021 at 4:37 PM, VinceA said:

Based on Fotmob, it seems he is having a very rough season with Oldham.

Oldham are in turmoil and at the bottom if League 2 :

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-john-sheridan-abdallah-lemsagam-22845246.amp

They just switched coaches in a desperate bid to save themselves.

Has anyone watched Leutwiler play in the last 4 months?

Is Leutwiler over Pantemis/Hasal/St. Clair/Breza the biggest surprise of this window?

Do any of the 4 other guys have COVID or injuries or are they simply judged too "out of season"?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Oldham are in turmoil and at the bottom if League 2 :

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-john-sheridan-abdallah-lemsagam-22845246.amp

They just switched coaches in a desperate bid to save themselves.

Has anyone watched Leutwiler play in the last 4 months?

Is Leutwiler over Pantemis/Hasal/St. Clair/Breza the biggest surprise of this window?

Do any of the 4 other guys have COVID or injuries or are they simply judged too "out of season"?

I don't know the covid status of the others, but being in season is a huge factor not to be underestimated.  Muscle memory and timing is all related to regular playing time.  It's really difficult to shake off the rust after not playing for 2-3 months.  This isn't such a bad call.

Props to Jayson for answering the call when Canada asks him. 

He knows he'll be the third-stringer and he will miss matches for Oldham who are at the very bottom of League Two.  

I hardly know a thing about him, but this 2020 interview with OneSoccer should help:  https://canpl.ca/article/jayson-leutwiler-on-onesoccer-hangout-the-chance-to-represent-canmnt-was-huge