Jayson Leutwiler

KidCanada

Leutwiler has one year left on his contract at Shrewsbury - but the manager Paul Hurst seems ready to let him leave. http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2017/07/13/rivals-threatening-jayson-leutwilers-no1-shrewsbury-town-role/

On 7/11/2017 at 0:16 PM, Ruffian said:

Leutwiler linked to the Wolves in the Championship?

Wolves have signed Will Norris from Cambridge one of the better keepers from League 2. Doesn't look good for Leutwiler's chances there.  http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40567977

In my opinion, i think he's better than most people think. 

Let's remember he played for the biggest club in Switzerland: Basel from 2007 - 2012 (When he left he was 23 years old) 

Then goes and sign with Middlesbrough FC for 2 seasons. When they were in the Championship during the 2012/2013 he was the back up behind Jason Steele and made it to the bench on 42 occasions while finally making his debut in a league Cup Game against Preston North End. Then the following season started VS Blackpool & Leeds.

Now Finally at age 25, (2014) he decides to play for Shrewsbury Town where he currently has 118 appearances and has kept them off the relegation battle in League One.

I also recognized what he did in his Youth years: 

Years   |           Team         |     Appearances

2005         Switzerland U-16             2  
2006 – 2007       Switzerland U-18 1  
2008         Switzerland U-19  2  
2008 – 2010         Switzerland U-20 3  

22 minutes ago, Steedman said:

Ah, didn't see that. Thought Crepe was backing up.

He was. We are suppose to have 3 keepers

• 2 weeks later...

It's time for Leutwiler to leave Shrewsbury Town! The club's manager Paul Hurst already said he's not in his plans for the upcoming season. 

He signed U20 England Youth player & Manchester United GK - Dean Henderson on loan & Also League One, Ex-Walsall Shot stopper    Craig MacGillivray.    

After observating all of the Pre season friendlies they've had vs Aston Villa, Cardiff City, Wolverhampton Wanderers and others it's fair to say he won't be #1 or #2 choice. 

4 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

It's time for Leutwiler to leave Shrewsbury Town! The club's manager Paul Hurst already said he's not in his plans for the upcoming season.

The problem is he has a year left on his contract and no other clubs have shown interest yet:

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2017/07/28/paul-hurst-no-offers-yet-for-jayson-leutwiler/

16 hours ago, Marc said:

I can't see him moving sideways or up given that he's been replaced by a fairly average goalie from a fairly average team that plays at the same level.  Down to the fourth tier, likely.

No mate, he's being replaced by current U-20 England keeper Dean Henderson, on loan from ManU. The replacement signed to be backup. My guess is Jayson earns starting money, and that's why he is on the way out.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

even if he does share the starting spot with Raya.

Raya has played 12 games in the Championship since April 2015 which is not bad for a young keeper. It will be interesting to see if the older Leutwiler can claim the #1 spot over him.

If Leutwiler doesn't start this weekend, he has to start on Tuesday vs Coventry(now in League 2) in the League Cup First Round.

EDIT: Blackburn's third keeper, Andrew Fisher, is clearly just that - a 3rd choice keeper.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/teams/first-team/goalkeeper/andrew-fisher/

http://www.transfermarkt.com/andrew-fisher/profil/spieler/359199

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 hours ago, Oakenshield said:

Amazing News! Couldn't be happier for him :) 

7 hours ago, badname22 said:

Great move! Blackburn will likely get promotion back to the championship this season

That would be ideal! In the interview, Leutwiler said that was a "main attraction" for his reason to sign for Blackburn. 

Also re uniting with his former manager Tony Mowbray at Middlesbrough (2012-2014) when they were in the Championship was another thing that made this transfer happen. 

6 hours ago, Marc said:

Well that was a much better move than I expected, even if he does share the starting spot with Raya.  Although I don't see Blackburn going up (or keeping Leutwiler if they do get promoted.)

I am confident in saying that Leutwiler will be the #1 GK this season. The 21 year old Spaniard - David Raya only has 12 matches in the last 3 seasons. Almost always Experience beats Youth. 

nonetheless definitely a good duo ? Competition in the net is very important and that's what they have now. After the departure of Jason Steele, leaving for Sunderland last week