Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why does it matter how many caps you have? Does a player need to hit some magical cap threshold before he can be critical of the lack of desire to win?

Well, for one it's hard to comment on other players' desire to win when you haven't been in the dressing room for a competitive match in 5 years ...

And, regardless, it's not exactly called "leadership" when you tell your teammates that they have no desire.  Maybe Hutch, Hoilett, Arfield, and others can tell Cavallini that he has no ambition because he's still playing in Uruguay.  I wouldn't recommend they do that either ... there are ways to say things.  If players aren't getting along, that doesn't bode well for the team on the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why does it matter how many caps you have? Does a player need to hit some magical cap threshold before he can be critical of the team and question their desire to win?

We get disappointed when we tie El Salvador or lose to Honduras. No, we need to get angry. Show some damn passion.

I fully support what Cavallini has said.

Again, not getting results doesn't mean players weren't angry (I used a weaker word with "disapointed" but my point remains).

The number of caps has a certain importance because it help judging the player knowledge of the MNT program. If you've been there 3 times in 5 years I'm not sure a player can comment on the passion thing, specially when that player wasn't involve in the 2015-2016 WCQ games...

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Running down teammates that are barely acquaintances is not a particularly professional or helpful mindset.

Running down teammates? Don't you think that is an exaggeration? He is telling reporters what us fans know to be true in our gut.

Is it more helpful to keep your mouth shut and fall in line with the team culture of being okay with losing. Or, do you simply think this culture doesn't exist in our team?

You may call it something different than "being okay with losing", but whatever you want to call it, it's there. I'll put it this way, I am sure we don't respond to a loss in the same way the Uruguayan or even Honduras NT. 

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why does it matter how many caps you have? Does a player need to hit some magical cap threshold before he can be critical of the team and question their desire to win?

We get disappointed when we tie El Salvador or lose to Honduras. No, we need to get angry. Show some damn passion.

The only guy I know just from watching on the tv that shows any signs of angst or competitive spirit which I found to be a bit babyish is Will Johnson. He doesn't like to lose and can get pretty hot. 

Haha does that surprise us that Will was let off the team by Benito also Osorio who was chirpy as well. Guess Lucas's emotions wouldn't have been appreciated by then manager Floro 

Running down teammates? Don't you think that is an exaggeration? He is telling reporters what us fans know to be true in our gut.

Is it more helpful to keep your mouth shut and fall in line with the team culture of being okay with losing. Or, do you simply think this culture doesn't exist in our team?

You may call it something different than "being okay with losing", but whatever you want to call it, it's there. I'll put it this way, I am sure we don't respond to a loss in the same way the Uruguayan or even Honduras NT. 

I agree there needs to be a change in the passion within the Canadian national team but some players may read that comment and feel insulted since they feel they are putting all their passion and effort into winning with Canada.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't know this to be true at all. Rending one's garments and crying after a loss is not necessary and probably counter-productive.

If one of your co-workers said to the media (or your boss) that you didn't care at all about the quality of your work, would you be OK with it?

Edited by jonovision

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If one of your co-workers said to the media (or your boss) that you didn't care at all about the quality of your work, would you be OK with it?

Especially if they hadn't been at the company for 5 years!!!

5 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Haha does that surprise us that Will was let off the team by Benito also Osorio who was chirpy as well. Guess Lucas's emotions wouldn't have been appreciated by then manager Floro 

Osorio always looks pretty miserable which doesn't seem to be doing his form much good...I'm thinking he might do better if he lightened up a bit. Anyway, each to his own. I don't think Cavallini's attitude will have a negative impact on the team...it's can be helpful (at the pro level anyway) to have some miserable bastards around to keep everyone on their toes.

Aha i see now. Cavallini's best friend Osorio was not called up by Floro for a long time, so Cavallini didn't want to play for Canada as a protest. Its all logical

19 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't know this to be true at all. Rending one's garments and crying after a loss is not necessary and probably counter-productive.

This is sport though, not corporate culture. Apples and oranges.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Well like someone said he was only there for the 8-1 clubbing and a few other handful of games. Don't you think what he's describing is what contributes to the CMNT having an insecurity issue? Maybe Lucas and the new breed don't have that saunter but swagger. Look at Osorio and Edwards they are now part of a winning mentality and mindset w TFC. Maybe people just towed the company line cause let's face it CSA as an organization couldn't set up a freaking web stream from Toronto! 

22 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I agree there needs to be a change in the passion within the Canadian national team but some players may read that comment and feel insulted since they feel they are putting all their passion and effort into winning with Canada.

Not that I think any of them are scouring the internet for articles of Uruguayan football, but if they did and were insulted, so what? Are they going to get into a cat fight and pull each other's hair in the change room? 

Cavallini is a breath of fresh air. I like it.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Not that I think any of them are scouring the internet for articles of Uruguayan football, but if they did and were insulted, so what? Are they going to get into a cat fight and pull each other's hair in the change room? 

Cavallini is a breath of fresh air. I like it.

It could cause a rift in the locker room ruining any team unity we potentially could have. It may also light a fire under some peoples ass. I am not sure how it will result, but with male egos in a room I would always bet on conflict.

I like it. Need guys w some fire on the team to not accept the status quo however disappearing every once and awhile is not a good example of showing commitment and leadership but we've talked about that. 

Lets just hope things get better. I'm anxious to see how this GC will turn out even though it's always rigged to the US and MX just to get the most $$$$$$$$$$!!!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

You think throwing your teammates (coming in as a guy who hasn't put in work for the national team in a long time) under the bus is a positive? Whether it's true or not, I can't see it helping. The guy may be a goalscorer, but he's obviously not a leader in the dressing room. You can give the Uruguayan media an answer that satisfies their need to laugh at Canadian football without questioning the commitment (oh the irony) of your teammates.

The only situation where I could see those kind of comments be welcomed, is if you want to burn the entire thing down (a la forest fire) and start anew. Then yes, by all means, start some infighting and blow it up.

Edited by kohanz

I think people need to understand the mindset of Cavallini.  When you're not Uruguayan and your in Uruguay trying to climb the ladder from one team to the next big one.... you become the most Uruguayan man on earth to be accepted.  You over compensate and make comments like this as he has before.   I really could care less about his comments.  Will Johnson said he didn't feel Canadian and he was our captain at the time.  If Lucas performs then great.  If he falls flat then fans won't give him the benefit of the doubt.  But really, no one in the mainstream media will cover these sort of comments and no one will remember theses comments except for the few randoms on this board.

36 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Well like someone said he was only there for the 8-1 clubbing and a few other handful of games. Don't you think what he's describing is what contributes to the CMNT having an insecurity issue? Maybe Lucas and the new breed don't have that saunter but swagger. Look at Osorio and Edwards they are now part of a winning mentality and mindset w TFC. Maybe people just towed the company line cause let's face it CSA as an organization couldn't set up a freaking web stream from Toronto! 

I think you are totally spot on. Canada needs more of that swagger that Cavallini brings. I hope TFC's new found winning culture also bleeds into the national team.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think you are totally spot on. Canada needs more of that swagger that Cavallini brings. I hope TFC's new found winning culture also bleeds into the national team.

Canada's needs:

Good Player with good locker room presence

Good Player with "swagger"

Bad Player with good locker room presence

Bad Player with "swagger"

I think this "swagger" you talk about is more of something that is tolerable because Cavallini is a good player.

2 hours ago, Addona said:

Man, this guy has "cancer in the dressing room" potential written all over him ... goodness, this GC hope that I had is fading fast in the last couple of weeks.  At least AJH doesn't seem to be injured too badly ...

Don't forget his silly comments about his daughter asking him why he can't play for Uruguay. 

Rofl.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

It could cause a rift in the locker room ruining any team unity we potentially could have. It may also light a fire under some peoples ass. I am not sure how it will result, but with male egos in a room I would always bet on conflict.

I don't think it's likely or even realistic that a rift would be caused in the locker room because Cavallini desperately wants to win.

If he brings that Latin American passion to win, I can't see that being a bad thing, no matter which angle I look at it from.

Those are the type of players you want representing the shirt.

Team unity is great but not if the team are united in their lack of self belief, lack of passion and lack of a stubborn will to win..  . .

Case in point: Kevin McKenna at half time "it is damage control at this point". What a damn embarrassment. Where is your desire to win? 

Like someone else mmentioned, I would rather have a miserable bastard stirring up shit than nobody giving one.

Edited by Obinna

I don't think it's likely or even realistic that a rift would be caused in the locker room because Cavallini desperately wants to win.

If he brings that Latin American passion to win, I can't see that being a bad thing, no matter which angle I look at it from.

Team unity is great but not if the team are united in their lack of self belief, lack of passion and lack of a stubborn will to win..  . .

Case in point: Kevin McKenna at half time "it is damage control at this point". What a damn embarrassment. Where is your desire to win? 

Like someone else mmentioned, I would rather have a miserable bastard stirring up shit than nobody giving one.

This, this, this.

We need a mentality shift. ..and what Lucas brings is what we need from everybody. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Do you think this statement is true of most of the CanMNT? "they lose a game and for them it's nothing"